[Savage Worlds] Can Savage Worlds handle a full-length campaign?

shouit

Explorer
Turanil said:
Great selling points!

That said, what's the main difference between SW Revised edition and SW Explorer's Edition? (is it worth buying it if I already own the Revised Edition?)

Not really. The only difference is that the melee damage on weapons has changed to dice and not just pluses. So for example, (Str + 1) gets (Str + 1d4) or (Str + 4) gets (Str + 1d10).

It is that simple.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Turanil said:
Great selling points!

That said, what's the main difference between SW Revised edition and SW Explorer's Edition? (is it worth buying it if I already own the Revised Edition?)

They fixed the Chase rules to make them less confusing and more fun.

scourger

Explorer
I got Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition at my FNLGS for $8.50, so it was well worth it to me to have another copy to use at the game table. I prefer Revised because it is hardback and has an index, but Explorer's is smaller and cheaper. Same great production values, though.

1upus

First Post
Our group has pretty much been running Savage Worlds as our main gaming engine now for close on three years or more....probably longer, I've lost touch. Ever since 1st ed came out anyway.

In that time, we have run a number of games. They include as follows:
1] Evernight (ran the first book and still waiting for further releases)
2] Tour of Darkness.....kinda petered out since the group doesn't do discipline and taking orders from another PC very well. Think the game only lasted like five sessions, but not due to the ruleset but more due to player problems with following orders.
3] 50 fathoms. - possibly our longest campaign. Ran for over a year an a half, maybe slightly longer. Only reason it finished was the GM wanted to move onto another setting.
4] Rippers. played for about a year. Was excellent but again GM got itchy feet due to the new Deadlands setting coming out.
5] Deadlands. Only started but on hiatus since the new GM is moving house
6] Interim game: SLA industries using Savage worlds as the game engine.

Feedback from the game.
It most definitely works well for long term campaigns. The characters do go up the levels well, and you do see some growth in the characters. The character development does seem to occur exponentially, with the starting characters relatively weak, but as you get up there, the growth appears faster and after a while, the characters do seem to be able to look afer themselves (probaby around mid to late seasoned level). By the time you get to legendary, the characters are amazing. But that does pose a problem for the GM to balance out.

INitially, the GM was having problems coping with the increasing power level of the players and coped with the problem by simply throwing more opponents at us come combat time. That didn't work too well as it just resulted in massive combats that got boring.

However, as the GM learn't the system and learn't the ins and outs, the opponents got 'smarter' and more challenging at the higher levels.

The GMs of our games all report that the games are easier to run as the system tends to be a little lighter on finnicky details and everything does run smoothly.

With regards to the generic nature of the game, yes, it can be a problem when kit bashing your own setting. But playing some of the conversions (and there are some cool ones out there as well) as well as the premade settings, they all do work well.

Whatever the case, the game in our group seems to be able to replicate the over the top cinematic action that everyone imagines of heroes inthe movies:)

Qualidar

First Post
Hi Flynn,

I play in 2 campaigns, and I've been in them for about a year. I think it's perfectly viable for long term campaigns, but not in the traditional d&d meaning that implies a decade's long stretch. There's a definate end to the advancement, and I think you'd reach that after say 2-3 years.

Corathon

First Post
Flynn said:
1. What is the average length of a Savage Worlds campaign, in your personal experience?

2. What is the longest Savage Worlds campaign you've been a part of?

3. What is your opinion about Savage Worlds' ability to handle a full-length campaign, based on your gaming experience with the system?

If you have not played Savage Worlds, I would ask that you refrain from answering these three questions, simply because I want to hear from the voice of experience. If you really want to answer the questions anyway, then please let me know that you have not played Savage Worlds, so that I can tell where you're coming from. :)

I've played in only two Savage Worlds campaigns so far. Both are still going (although one is a kind of sporadic at best) so I can't comment on the average length. The main Savage Worlds campaign that I'm in has lasted 4 years so far. That is also the longest :)

I'm not a big fan of SW, but I think that it can handle a campaign quite easily.

Dragon Snack

First Post
My friday night group plays Savage Worlds pretty much exclusively (for the last few years at least)...

We finished 50 Fathoms. While I don't remember exactly how long we played I'm pretty sure it was over 2 years. At the beginning I was running a concurrent 3.0 game (until the TPK) and they would also play when work forced me to miss a session, so my character was a bit behind the others. He was still effective though, in fact I got the killing blow (well, Bolt spell) to end the campaign.

We are currently playing Wonderland No More, a setting based on Alice In Wonderland - only Alice is gone and things have taken a turn for the worse. It's a playtest and we have beat on it pretty good. While it definitely needs work, it's still a challenge. We've been playing for over a year and have gone through 3 GMs for this campaign.

So yes, it definitely works for a long term campaign. I actually think my D&D group would like it better, but it's a non starter with 2 players.

Remove ads