Savannah Knights (mild update 06-10-05)

What is your opinion of this storyhour

• I have read most of this story, but I wouldn't suggest it to others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After a quick glance, I decided I didn't like it.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I glanced at it, and thought it was okay.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • This is a good story, and I recommend you take a look a tit.

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • I check this thread every few days for new updates, I like it so much. I also regularly check the w

Votes: 8 17.4%

Chapter Four: Things to Possess

The group arrives back at the Bureau, and give their reports. Keira writes a favorable report of the new recruits, and they’re called in to talk with the Chief, apparently so he can congratulate them for their official entry into the Bureau.

They go into a room that the Chief’s in (the Chief doesn’t actually have an office, but instead just seems to roam the compound and picks rooms at random to do work in), and he’s reviewing the report. The group sits down in chairs in front of the desk, and wait, Keira standing in a corner of the room to oversee the meeting. Finally, the chief nods, lowers the papers, and looks up with a smile.

“I would like to-”

The door opens, and a tall man with long blonde hair walks in, wearing a long white trenchcoat. He bends over to the Chief’s ear and says quietly, “There was a murder. A . . . um, a lizard was involved.”

The smile on the Chief’s face fades, and instead he grimaces as he asks, “Who’d the Dragon kill?”

The blonde man glances nervously at the group of new recruits, then clears his throat. “The Dragon was the, um, victim, sir.”

The Chief swears under his breath, then nods to the knight. “Alright Michael. I’ll be with you in a moment.”

As Michael leaves, Cai, Iscalio, Tagin, Jenny, and Madeline can all see worry on his face, though he does smile briefly at Keira before closing the door behind himself.

Despite the obviously disturbing news, when they look back at the Chief, he seems fully composed. He shuffles the papers and sets them down, leaning back with a soft nod to them.

“Good job, ladies and gentlemen. You’ve proven yourselves in a crunch situation. And . . . until further notice, since things were relatively quiet until just now, you all have leave for at least a week or two. We’ll call you if anything comes up. Now if you’ll excuse me.”

And he leaves. Keira waits until he’s gone, then sighs. “This is going to be wretched. My parents were in the Bureau before me, and while they worked here—over 50 years—there hasn’t been a single Dragon-slaying.” She drums her fingers on the Chief’s recently vacated desk. “I hope they don’t call me in on this. At least you don’t have to worry.”

Iscalio smirks. “Yeah, we’re too novice to put on something like this, right?”

“Exactly.” Keira nods, then smiles. “But if we’re lucky, we might hear about what exactly’s going on. Cleaning out warehouses and tracking down petty thieves gets boring after a while. This should be interesting.”

“Who’s the guy?” Madeline asks, a slight grin on her face.

Keira lowers her face in modest embarrassment. “That’s Michael, my boyfriend. We’ve been together for three years now.”

“Very cute,” Jenny compliments.

Beside her, Iscalio groans. “Is there anything else? Or do we have to stay here and listen to you women gossip?”

Keira frowns at him, then shrugs. “Actually, you should probably all get cleaned up and rest. I was thinking we could all go out to eat tomorrow night. I’ve got a key, so we can go anywhere in the southern US, but we should probably stick near Savannah or Atlanta.”

Iscalio insists that they go to a Chinese/Japanese restaurant in Savannah so he can have sushi, and they eventually all agree. They take the generic gate back to Oglethorpe House (where they first met Balthazar, two weeks ago), and go take a break after their first real mission.

[meta: In this next adventure, we had to add in a new player, and make room for a visiting player. Chris came in full time to play Finagle P. Luckshore, while Trey was visiting and wanted to game, so he got to play Keira for a day. I have to commend them for both being really cool with how they handled their characters.]

The next night, rain pours upon the city of Savannah, thunder filling the air. In a store near the riverfront, a shopkeeper watches glumly as his sole customer this evening refuses to leave. By this time of night, about 10:30, almost every store in this district is closed, but the shopkeeper’s too polite to force the young man out into the storm.

His customer looks too young to be out of high school. A scrawny kid with bright blue eyes and dirty blonde hair, he can’t seem to get enough of peering at all the old computer parts this store has in stock. It almost lets the boy ignore the headache he’s been having for the past few weeks. Anyway, after the freak accident that caused his computer to explode, Finagle P. Luckshore hopes that he might be able to build a new computer more cheaply than ordering something from a company.

The storekeeper tries to discreetly indicate it’s past closing time. He walks around the store, turning off all the television sets in the windows. Finagle glances over and does a doubletake, thinking he saw a face peering through the window, but doesn’t notice the shopkeeper’s subtlety. Shaking his head, he turns back to examine the stripped motherboard of an oh-so-lovely-looking 286 com-

A loud crash fills the air, and shards of glass fly through the store.

The shopkeeper screams in terror as two large forms land amid the shattered glass of the main window, through which the storm pours rain. The creatures are hunched over, man-sized, but with claws, pale, scaly skin, dull yellow eyes, and crocodilian tails. Hissing, one knocks down the shopkeeper and then turns to stare at one of the few TVs still on, mezmerized by the moving pictures. After a moment it reaches out and grabs the TV, yanking the cord out of the wall socket. The image on the screen goes blank, and the creature snarls.

Finagle stares open-mouthed for a few moments, then jumps over the storekeeper’s counter and tries to hide. Glancing meekly over the edge of the counter, he sees the large creature with the TV snarl at the shopkeeper and throw the no-longer-shiny box at the man. The impact of the TV knocks the shopkeeper unconscious, and the two lizardmen bend over to pick him up.

Then the second one stops and sniffs the air, turning its face to look at the counter. Finagle ducks, but then a moment later the counter he’s hiding behind collapses under the weight of a pouncing lizardman. The young man screams as he’s carted out of the store (along with the glowing portable TV that has pretty pictures on it).

Sharing a few stories with each other over dinner, the group of recently recruited knights celebrates their first victory. Though the rain outside easily mutes the cries of panic from a nearby store, all the magic-users in the party suddenly become on edge. While trying to use chopsticks to eat rice, Iscalio stops and cocks his head, while Jenny, just on the way back from asking for a tea refill, starts to gaze into the distance for a moment, sensing something amiss.

Iscalio mutters in frustration, and then Jenny begins to run for the door of the restaurant, shouting back, “Someone’s in danger outside!”

Iscalio curses, not wanting to disrupt his dinner, and only when Madeline admits her ghost told her the same thing as Jenny’s does everyone get up. Cai has to drag his brother from the food, but within a few moments they’re all out the door into the storm, except for Tagin, who’s in the bathroom.

Jenny bursts out the door, staring down the street in the direction of the screams. The streets are fairly empty at this time of night, so she can see clearly two large figures dragging a kicking and screaming person down the street. She pulls out the wide stone spearhead of her weapon and activates it. A shaft of arcane energy extends outward, materializing into a wooden spear’s haft. Then, just as everyone else finally makes it out of the resturaunt, she rushes down the street, shouting for the creatures to stop. Behind her, everyone starts to run after, lightswords and scythes giving off brilliant glows in the dark night streets as the blades flare outward, then materialize into solid metal.

Tagin steps out of the restroom, seeing the store owner swearing at the patrons who just skipped out on the bill. The hacker shrugs and casually walks past the man, picking up an umbrella in the umbrella stand as he slips out the door.

Outside, half a block away, Jenny closes to within thirty feet of the creatures, which she can barely make out in the rain.

“Stop and let him go!” she demands in a shout. The two monsters stop and look at her momentarily, then break into a run toward one of the squares, moving quickly despite what they’re carrying.

[meta: Quick note on Savannah, GA street layout. Savannah was one of the earliest cities to have its streets planned before construction. In many of the older areas in Savannah you can find park squares, sections where cross-streets detour around a square patch of woodlands. Parks dot Savannah all over the place.]

The reptilian humanoids scramble toward the nearest square, finally knocking Finagle unconscious to stop his screaming. The monster with Finagle slowly begins to lag behind the monster just carrying the portable TV, so when the TV-bearing monster reaches the wooded square, he has time to yank off a manhole cover to open a path to the city sewers. The monster with Finagle starts to go in first, but Jenny hurls her spear and catches the monster square in the back. It topples forward and drops Finagle, trying briefly to pull the spear out of its back before it dies.

Growling at Jenny, the second monster grabs the manhole cover and flings it at her like a frizbee. Gasping in surprise, Jenny tries to flatten herself to the ground to let the huge metal object fly over her. Of course, even a massively strong monster can’t throw a 50 pound manhole cover too far, and it falls at just the right rate to hit Jenny in the chest as she drops to the ground. Jenny rolls back, too stunned to push the metal disk off her.

Snarling contentedly, the second monster grabs its human meal and drops into the sewer.

Cai and Keira run up next, and while Keira helps Jenny to her feet, Cai jumps and executes a wonderful aerial somersault to descend with ease through the hole down into the sewer below. Madeline and Iscalio follow next, but an inhuman shriek of pain echoes from the sewer, and they hear Cai shout that all is clear.

“What the heck are those things?” Jenny and Madeline both ask, looking to Keira.

“They’re a unique type of gremlin,” she replies. “We call them sewer demons. Every major city gets them from time to time, though the Bureau tries to clean them out wherever they go. Just think of them as really big rats.”

Iscalio and Madeline warily begin head down into the tunnel, and Jenny asks why the sewer demons would come out and rob a store. Keira answers that they like shiny things, and they have a special taste for magical items and people. More than likely, she suggests, the hostage has some magic on him. Keira pulls out her cel and puts in a call for a clean-up crew.

Iscalio reaches the bottom of the sewer first, followed by Madeline. A ten-foot wide path of urine and fecal matter fills the center, but narrow walkways line either side. A disemboweled sewer demon lays in the slush, and an unconscious (and slightly slimy) young man lies at Cai’s feet. Cai says that he saw a few other sewer demons in the shadows, but they ran off when he killed the first one.

Iscalio casts a healing spell on the young man, then slaps him to wake him up. Madeline makes it down next, followed by Jenny, Keira, and Tagin. The frightened young man (he’s 16) blabbers out what just happened, and the ghosts of the Knights confirm that young Finagle does have a ghost of his own.

Keira, since she is the ranking Knight in the group, orders Jenny and Tagin to keep Finagle calm while they wait for the clean-up crew to arrive, then orders Madeline, Cai, and Iscalio to come with her and track down the remaining sewer demons, before they can get out too far out of sight.

Keira, Iscalio, Cai, and Madeline head down the sewer tunnel in the direction of some faint hissing and growling, Madeline lighting the way with a cantrip. [meta: Remember that this game was back at the beginning of 3rd edition. It was at this point that I realized how cool cantrips were.]

As the others head off, Jenny tries to engage Finagle in conversation to keep him calm. Finagle, for good reason, doesn’t want to be anywhere near these people, so he keeps trying to climb his way out of the sewer, while Tagin keeps pulling him down. Finally, a shotgun blast echoes down the tunnel from the distance, and when Tagin and Jenny glance to see what’s going on, Finagle makes his move.

[meta: This is the out of character discussion that took place.

Chris, Finagle’s player: “I’m gonna give Jenny a wedgie then run!”

Everyone else except me (I played Jenny) laughs, and then Jessie, our DM, tells him to roll.

* . . . rattle rattle . . . 20!*

Nic, Cai’s player: “Critical wedgie!”

As you might guess, I was the butt of many jokes later because of this.]

Finagle grabs Jenny’s pants and yanks them up while she’s distracted, and manage to catch her so off guard that she staggers forward and trips. Then Finagle leaps out into the sludge of the sewer, using the sewer demon corpse as a stepping stone to get to the walkway on the opposite side. Then he bolts, hoping to find the nearest exit.

Tagin glances down at Jenny, smirks, then draws his gun and runs after Finagle. Finagle Tagin quickly get lost in the nearly pitch-black sewer, and eventually resort to just trying to find the sources of the gunshots in the distance.

Several hundred feet down the tunnels, Keira and company had walked into an ambush, with a half-dozen sewer demons bursting from the sludge between the walkways, dropping from the ceiling above, and stepping out of side tunnels. Cai had blasted away one of the demons, and Madeline and Iscalio took down another one with spells, clearing a path that they could flee down.

Now they flee from the overwhelming numbers of sewer demons, realizing they’re lost but more concerned in keeping from being flanked. They run for a minute or so, then get to an area where the sewer demons can only come from one direction. Keira states that they’ll make their stand here, and she casually replaces her clip of fireball bullets with standard ones, to avoid incinerating them all.

The sewer demons manage to sneak within ten feet before Cai spots them swimming through the sludge, and shots ring out, echoing cacophonously through the tunnels as the sewer demons burst forth to attack, now with reinforcements, totalling nearly a dozen.

Five already lay dead when Tagin reaches the battle, having guessed the right direction toward the gunshots. He begins to run forward to help, but then he hears the sound of a manhole cover being moved behind him. He turns and looks up to see in faint light Finagle, hanging onto a ladder leading out of the sewer. Ignoring the battle, Tagin levels the gun at Finagle.

“Put the manhole back in place and come down, or I’ll shoot.”

Finagle blanches, then sees a sewer demon swinging down from the ceiling to attack Tagin. “Look out behind you!” he shouts, pointing.

Rolling his eyes at the ‘obvious’ bluff, Tagin keeps staring at Finagle, but fires a blind shot off behind his shoulder and then returns the gun to cover Finagle. A spurt of demon brains peppers him, but he doesn’t flinch.

Keira and the others begin to force their way through the demons to get to Tagin, and just then Jenny shows up, having been slowed down by the need to adjust her underpants. She covers Tagin’s back from demons while the hacker talks Finagle off the ladder, which basically consists of continuing to threaten to shoot the kid if he doesn’t obey.

Keira switches clips to lightning bullets, and tells Cai and Iscalio to drive the demons into the sludge. They proceed to do so, but just when Keira’s about to fire a demon swings from pipes running above, kicking her and knocking her in after them. She splashes into the slime, then stands up, holding her gun in one hand and drawing a comb in the other to get her hair out of her eyes.

Jenny spears the demon hanging onto the pipes and flings it into the slime beside Keira, and Keira casually pistolwhips the thing as she climbs back out of the sludge. As Cai, Iscalio, and Jenny use their weapons to keep the sewer demons in the canal, Keira prepares to fire again, but Finagle again makes a break for it, trying to jump again to the opposite side of the walkway. Instead he ungracefully falls into the muck just as Keira shoots. Keira jerks to try to not hit, and the bullet imbeds itself into the concrete right beside the young man. A burst of electricity shatters the walkway and part of the wall, and Finagle begins to twitch in fear.

He begins to gibber, and just as a sewer demon is about to rip his throat out, Finagle screams at the top of his lungs in pure frustration, fear, and anger. Sparks burst from his body and fill the air, and electricity courses through the sludge, frying all the remaining demons. Finagle stops sparking, and he looks around with a whimper, totally confused. Cai leaps to his side and drags him out of the water, leaving only Madeline and Iscalio undrenched in sewer slime (Finagle, Tagin, and Jenny all stumbled in a couple times while trying to find their way in the dark).

Keira climbs topside and figures out where they ended up, about five blocks from where they had gone in. She tells everyone to scout around real quick while she calls for a pick-up.

They find the warren of the sewer demons, which is abandoned except for a few eggs and various “shiny things” they had pilfered over the past few years. Tellingly there’s a small black leather jacket, magical, implying that at least one magi has fallen to these creatures.

When the clean-up crew arrives, they give Madeline and Iscalio a ride back to the restaurant to pay the bill and get their cars, while everyone else has to hike a few miles across town to the doorway to the Bureau. None of the clean-up crew wants to get their vehicles all smelly, and even Iscalio and Madeline are pushing it for just having been down there.

Mildly frustrated, Keira, Cai, Jenny, and Tagin walk toward Oglethorpe House where the gate is, dragging a jittery Finagle along with them. Jenny, though normally diplomatic and caring, is too frustrated and disturbed that Finagle grabbed her underwear to try to calm him down, so they walk in uncomfortable silence for nearly a mile, through the rain. They’re still far from Oglethorpe House when a bright flash of lightning illuminates the late night road, revealing a man staggering out onto the street from an alley near an expensive house. Everyone stares at him.

He’s haggard, his well-tailored clothes soaked with rain but even more deeply stained with dark blood. He leans against the wall of the house, then spots the party staring at him. He crouches backward and looks around nervously, then screams at them, “Don’t look at me! I didn’t do it!”

After a moment of surprise at the man’s sudden appearance, Jenny calls out to ask if he needs help, but the man’s face suddenly twists to an expression of anger. He shouts in rage, thrusting out his hands palm first, and a sudden gust of wind knocks Jenny backward into a parked car. The man bolts across the street, nearly getting hit by a truck in the process.

Cai swears that they will have to deal with another crazy tonight, but he leads the way on a chase after him. Tagin follows, but as Keira helps Jenny get her feet, Finagle shoves her and yanks her gun out of her shoulder holster (apparently he has no qualms about touching women in personal places).

Finagle runs after Tagin and Cai, and then Keira and Jenny run after them. (Finagle later claimed that he wanted to help, but everyone’s pretty sure he actually planned to vent his frustrations on Tagin; there are no hard feelings now)

The man they’re chasing stops for a moment to shoot a small sphere of flame at Cai and Tagin, which they dodge. The ball of flame rolls over a parked car and sets it afire, but the rain sizzles it out before the car can explode. Apparently tireless, the fleeing magic-user leads them on a chase through the city for almost five minutes, but he’s heading toward the river, which will cut off his escape.

He leads them into Bonaventure cemetery, a wooded cemetery overlooking the river, with hundreds of expensive tombstones and obelisk-like gravemarkers. Finally, Cai gets fed up with running, and he burst into one final sprint to catch up with the man for just a moment.

Cai closes to within 15 feet, and then when the man next approaches one of the tall stone obelisk gravemarkers, Cai fires off a blast of his shotgun, cracking the base of the obelisk. The 20-foot tall stone pillar topples onto the fleeing man, dropping him to the ground with a scream.

Cai and Jenny run up (Tagin was too tired to keep running, and fell behind a few minutes ago), and see the man crawling out from under the obelisk. Another figure is running in their direction from across the cemetery, but they’re more concerned about the one who has been firing spells at them.

He cowers as Cai and Jenny advance, appearing frightened again instead of angry. Jenny asks him to just surrender and go along quietly, but he tries to scramble free from the obelisk, and both Cai and Jenny lunge for him. She tries to pin him with the haft of her spear over his throat, but he ducks out of the way and throws out his hands at the sandy ground of the graveyard. A tiny bead glowing incandescent red drops at their feet, then explodes in a massive ball of flames. The fire scorches nearby tombstones and knocks Jenny away from the man, but Cai, ignoring the fact that he’s on fire, stabs out with his katana and drives it through the man’s chest.

The man slumps to the ground, gasping, and just then Finagle, Tagin, and Keira run up. Finagle stares wide-eyed at the magical flames, and then wildly shoots at the already-dying man, hitting him in the leg with an explosive lightning bullet. Tagin and Keira tackle him to stop him from firing any more of the magical bullets, and Jenny blanches. She had been about to try to heal him enough so he wouldn’t die, but the explosion from the bullet mangled his leg and seared his body beyond repair.

The figure who had been running toward them from deeper in the cemetery arrives. It’s Michael, the tall blonde Knight who had informed the Chief about the murder of a Dragon. He carries a glowing white scimitar, which illuminates the bloody scene. At the sight of the unconscious and dying man on the ground, he winces.

“Keira,” he asks, seeing her among the part, “what’s going on?”

Keira shakes her head, not knowing herself. Michael glares accusingly at the rest of the Knights, then grimaces at the gasps of pain coming from the dying man. Gritting his teeth, Michael quickly slashes off the man’s head to end his suffering.

Confused, everyone mutters questions, wondering what the man had done that had made him flee. Then, seemingly sick from the sight at his feet, Michael passes out, falling beside the murdered man in the rain-soaked grass.

Keira crouches next to Michael in concern, then pulls out her cel phone and hands it to Jenny.

That night everyone sleeps uneasily. Though they eventually calmed Finagle down enough to explain to him what had happened, and though no Knights died, the mystery of the fleeing man gnaws at them. They’re not sure what happened, even whether they killed an innocent man, but one thing worries them the most. That night they learn that a second Dragon was killed, this one in Savannah, right before they ran into the fugitive. No Dragon has been slain in over fifty years, and now two have been killed in less than a week.

When he collects himself enough to understand what has happened to him, Finagle P. Luckshore decides to join the Bureau, effectively running away from home. He plans to return home occasionally, but he’s already graduated high school, so his parents probably won’t mind much anyway. Finagle’s ghost is his late uncle, an inventor who electrocuted himself. Most of Finagle’s magic involves technology and a more deliberate form of casting, so though the ghost inspires his more basic powers, he actually starts studying magic to learn how to do it himself. He becomes a wizard, not a sorcerer, even though he could’ve been a sorcerer since he bonded with a ghost. Instead, he keeps all his spells written down in .pdf format in a palm-top computer.

When Tagin gets a chance, he apologizes to Finagle for not believing him when he said the sewer demon was going to attack. He agrees to trust the kid more in the future.

Michael Dunne, a fairly experienced Knight, works the graveyard shift, literally. He’s a paladin, primarily involved in dealing with uneasy spirits. Savannah has a lot of ghosts, and he tends to spend time between Savannah and New Orleans, making sure the dead don’t make life difficult for the living. After passing out, he woke up soon after they all got back to the Bureau, claiming he didn’t remember anything beyond hearing the sound of Cai’s shotgun blast. The Chief ordered him to see Autumn Yeiotana, one of the top-ranked telepaths in the Bureau, to make sure he hadn’t been affected by some kind of memory-erasing magic or psionic ability.

Autumn, an Elvish telepath (and, at least according to the picture Jessie drew of her, very hot), scans Michael, then scans all the other knights in the group to make sure none of them were affected either. Jenny inquires about how Michael’s doing, and Autumn smiles.

“He’s doing fine. Better than usual, actually.” Then she shushes Jenny and scans her, shrugging. “And you’re doing fine too. . . . Except it looks like you’re a bit angry at your new associate Finagle?”

Jenny grimaces at her. “I don’t appreciate you digging into my thoughts. Aren’t you just supposed to look for magic on me?”

Autumn shrugs, smiling with a near-smirk. “Sorry, I usually try not to pry. It is pretty funny, though. A wedgie and all.”

Jenny grimaces again and leaves as soon as she can.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
When I started to read the stoy hour forum, this story had already many posts, so I didn't begun it. Now I have the chance of reading it, and I must say I love it. It reminds me a Dark*Matter game, and for me that's cool.

Acquana

First Post
It's amazing how many people followed this story hour on the last message boards. Again, thank you so much for writing our game up, Wickett. You rule.

And it is only a matter of time before I write up some stuff for the game I'm currently running in Savannah. I think I owe it to everyone who keeps coming back. :D

Jarval

Explorer
The rules info is very cool

The addition of the rules info is very interesting. Looking forwards to getting all the characters stats up.

Great work Ranger, keep it up :)

Iscalio Maxwell: Male human Drd1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d8+2; hp 10; Init +4; Spd 30 ft.; AC 14 (Dex); Atk masterwork scythe +3 melee (2d4+3/crit x4), or unarmed +2 melee (1d6+2 subdual), or automatic pistol +4 ranged (1d10/crit x3); SQ animal companion, nature sense, ghostbond; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4; Str 14, Dex 18, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Animal Empathy +6, Concentration +6, Disguise +4, Escape Artist +8, Knowledge (nature) +5, Profession (cook) +3, Spot +6, Wilderness Lore +6; Combat Casting, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Note: Escape Artist and Spot are Iscalio’s floating class skills.

Spells per Day: 3 / 2. Typically prepared — Detect Magic, Flare, Light / Cure Light Wounds, Obscuring Mist.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spectral Blow, Spirit Manifestation, Turn Resistance.

Background:
Growing up in the shadow of his always-successful brother Cai, Iscalio ever tried to carve his own path in life. Though his brother believes that Iscalio has not learned from all the lessons of self-control, Iscalio has actually built much of his own personality around the tenets his brother espouses, though with a different direction to their application.

To Iscalio, the greatest type of self control is to reject everything you don’t consider morally correct. Because of this, Iscalio prefers to spend time among nature rather than people, if for no other reason than that a tree cannot be a hypocrite. On those rare occasions that he meets someone with genuine believes, he typically judges by others with similar believes, and so almost never gives new acquaintances a fair chance to prove themselves ‘worthy’ of him.

Iscalio’s Ghost:
A fine and upstanding country gentleman from England, Lancaster Cornwall had a mental breakdown in the mid-1800’s over a century before they became popular. Though usually he was quite normal and cheerful, in the years after his wife died, he became increasingly unable to tend for his young son. Over time, he began to find his son’s pet dog far easier to take care of, and eventually he began calling the animal by his son’s name. He developed an animal persona of his own, a fox, and neighbors found great humor in watching Lancaster and his son’s pet dog loping through the backwoods together.

Because his neighbors didn’t guess the true depths of his mental confusion, Lancaster managed to still work through life amiably enough, until some of his friends invited him on a fox hunt. In the middle of the chase, somehow Lancaster equated the foxes with his son’s dog, and when his friends tried to shoot ‘his son,’ Lancaster jumped to their aid and took the gunshot for them.

How Lancaster’s ghost made it to America is unknown, but in death he has slipped fully into his fox persona, enough to the point that most magi or spirits who could see him would see him as a fox.

Magic Items:
The Bureau makes use of an array of enchanted items in their activities. Most of these items are enchanted by humans, as fey magic is rarely so utilitarian. The average high-ranking Bureau agent will typically have at least a key, and usually also an arcane blade of some sort. Most prefer to maintain a low-tech feel, and thus eschew guns, but enchanted firearms are quite common for emergencies when force is valued over style.

Arcane Blades: Arcane blades are weapons formed primarily of magical force. A typical arcane blade normally appears as just a sword’s hilt and crossguard, with the blade missing. When a mental command is given, magical force extends outward to form the rest of the weapon. For hafted weapons, the haft usually grows the arcane blade, though sometimes a normal stone or metal spear- or axe-head is carried, from which the arcane force forms the rest of the weapon.

An arcane blade’s appearance varies by the design of its crafter. For some, the arcane force flares with light briefly as the weapon is activated, then fades to take on the appearance of a normal sword blade or spear haft. In others, the arcane energy continues to glow, and though this is intimidating, it has no mechanical benefits. Finally, some rare arcane blades leave the arcane force invisible, though this requires extra magic to mask the normal soft glow of arcane energy.

All arcane blades act as masterwork weapons when activated. Activating an arcane blade is a free action, but the arcane form can only come into existence if no solid matter is in its way. Thus, a sword could not be activated in order to pierce a wall in this way. Attempting to do so simply causes the activation to delay until there is room.

Caster level: 1st; Prerequisites: Craft Magical Arms & Armor, Magic Weapon; Market Price: +1,000 gp; Cost to Create: +500 gp and +40 XP. If a weapon is simply an arcane blade, it costs only 1,000 gp, plus the cost of a normal masterwork weapon of that type. The arcane blade ability can be added to any normally enchanted weapon.

Enchanted Bullets: Like any missile weapon, bullets can be enchanted to contain spells that activate when the bullet strikes its target. Popular spells for this type of enchantment are Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Ice Storm, and Stinking Cloud.

Caster Level: Varies; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms & Armor, appropriate spell; Market Price: Spell level x caster level x 750 gp for 50 bullets. For example, a pack of 50 Fireball bullets that explode in 5d6 fireballs when they strike, would cost 11,250 gp.

Gate Keys: These objects are a mixture of the fey and the human, with a shard of crystal implanted into a short shaft of worked metal. Most such keys allow their bearers to create a brief gate between Terra and Gaia, but only at limited locations they are attuned to. Other keys, known as greater gate keys allow travel between any loci where the barrier between Terra and Gaia is weak.

Lesser gate keys are each attuned to one location on Terra and one on Gaia, and the component pieces of the key must be each be built at these locations, then united to complete the item. As a standard action, a key bearer who is within 10 feet of the attuned location can create a Gate (as the spell), generally with dimensions four feet by eight feet. This gate lasts for as long as the bearer concentrates to keep it open, and for one round thereafter. Any creature can freely pass through the gate, and is in no way beholden to the gate’s opener. The bearer of the key automatically senses the general direction to the attuned locus.

Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, must fulfill the above requirement of construction; Market Price: 2,000 gp.

Greater gate keys are far more versatile, able to open gates at any weak locus between the two realms. They are created in powerful ley line conjunctions, and function just as lesser gate keys, only with greater scope. These keys let the bearer sense the general direction of whatever weak locus is closest.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Plane Shift, must fulfill the above requirement of construction; Market Price: 90,000 gp.

Last edited:

Chapter Five: The Ferret Hidey-Hole

The following game session took place over internet chat software. The DM was generous and forward-thinking enough to save a copy of it for everyone to read. Chris is Finagle’s player, and Jessie is the DM.

Chris (Finagle): Hiya Boss!
DM: Hey :> Well, I think I’m ready, how about you?
Chris (Finagle): Sure!
DM: I’m gonna mail you a pic first, so just hold on, then we’ll start, ok?
Chris (Finagle): K
DM: It’s coming to you.
Chris (Finagle): got it!

(You can find this picture at http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/SK_Images/Brian1.jpg You have to copy/paste the link, because of the way geocities deals with exterior links.)

DM: Excellent. That means we can get started.
Chris (Finagle): K’
DM: This rather overweight, nerdy, straight-out-of-the-70’s fellow before you is your neighbor, Brian Greenman.
DM: You both live on the single’s floor of the living complex of the Bureau for the Management of Magicks’ headquarters.
DM: Your home is a nice apartment for one person: not too cramped, and has a convenient kitchen-nook. Boxes take up most of your room right now, but your uncle is helping you figure out where stuff will go.
Chris (Finagle): Ok the particle accelerator goes in the NW corner...
DM: When did your uncle die, anyway? I know he’s 20-something, but what year?
Chris (Finagle): I don’t know... No one talks about him, I guess around 25 years ago or so...
DM: Seventies is cool. Anyhoo, while you’re looking through your stuff, there’s a knock on the door.
Chris (Finagle): Oooooh!!! Answer! Answer!
DM: The guy on the other side of the door is Brian, and he greets you with a wide smile not unlike the one in the pic.
DM: “Howdy neighbor. You’re new, right?”
Chris (Finagle): “Yep, How long have you lived here?”
DM: “Jeez, lemme think . . . Uh, probably about five years or so. Funny thing that, I was like researching for my AD&D game--seeing how these ‘witches’ acted--and they summoned an imp right there! Man, scared the :):):):) out of me. Then these like orcish Knights came and kicked the crap out of it and brought me here.”
DM: “Cool, huh? You?”
Chris (Finagle): *grin* I was poking around a computer store when some sewer demons broke in and did bad things. Then this group of really odd Knights showed up and started threatening to break my legs if I ran away... Now I work with them. Got any sugar? Mines all packed...”
DM: “Crap, I was gonna ask you if you had any beer, but you look a little young for that.

“You don’t, do you? I think I might have some little sugar packets in my apartment.”
Chris (Finagle): “Could I snag three or so?”
DM: “Sure, not a problem.”
DM: He leads you to his apartment, the door next to yours.
Chris (Finagle): #?
DM: Uh . . . You’re on the 100’s floor, the first floor. Yours is 119, his is 117.
Chris (Finagle): Juss checking...
DM: And his place is a huge mess. Papers lay all over the floor, his computer desk is cluttered, a shelf on the back wall is filled with AD&D resource books.
Chris (Finagle): What’s in the computer area?
DM: He apparently is a bit of a hacker, lots of different drives, “doctored” phones, and enough surge protectors to plug in a small town.

Moving aside a coffee pot that hasn’t been cleaned in ages, he hunts over the counter for sugar packets.
DM: “Damn sweet-n-low . . . Ah, here we go. Honest to God sugar.”
DM: “Which of these isn’t open . . ?”
Chris (Finagle): “Wheee! Thanks, It’s hard to get real sugar from people these days, health nutz being what they are...”
DM: “Damn straight. Me? To hell with it, might as well die happy, right?”
Chris (Finagle): “Yeah, say do you know anyone else around here? Since I just moved in I’m kinda anxiouse to meet everyone, Also, are there are any wing restrictions?” *(ex: loud music not after 4:00AM)*
DM: “Wish there were, but not too many. Just as long as you don’t run around naked in the halls or something.”

He notices he left his door open and moves to close it. When he steps in the doorway he stops and looks in the hall.
“Um, is there a problem?” he asks to someone in the hall.
Chris (Finagle): I peak over his shoulder...
DM: There’s a woman kneeling on the floor, trying to look under the crack of your door.
When she hears Brian she lifts her head, she looks Elven, dark hair and bright, green eyes.
DM: Sheepishly she stands and straightens her clothes.
DM: “I’m sorry, Rikki-Tikki ran off again.”
Chris (Finagle): “Rikki-Tikki?”
DM: “Again?” Brian asks, laughing softly and folding his arms. “You oughta buy a bell for that ferret.”
DM: “We did,” she replies. “He slipped out of it.”
Chris (Finagle): “Does he escape a lot?”
DM: “Rikki-Tikki is my ferret, and a little smarter than he should be,” she explains for you. “My husband and I have been hunting for the little guy, but he’s really found a good place to hide.
Chris (Finagle): *Swallow one sugar package* “He’s got his own magic? I thought that couldn’t happen....”
DM: Smiling broadly, Brian steps forward with a bit of a swager. “You know, Cindy, if you really need help, you could just let me and the new guy here handle this.”
DM: “Could you?” she asks. “But really it’s a bother.”
DM: “Nah, not a bother,” he replies. “This guy wanted to see around anyway.”
Chris (Finagle): “If your checking rooms, I was planning to meet everyone anyway...”
DM: “There, see?” Brian says.
DM: Cindy smiles and thanks you and Brian. “But if you can’t find him, just go ahead and let us handle it. You really are saving me such a hassle by doing this.”
Chris (Finagle): “Where does he usually hide?”
DM: “Well . . . “ Cindy pauses, biting her lip. “It seems to change every time I turn around. I have no idea what new place he’s found.”
DM: “Maybe we should start at your place,” Brian offers to Cindy, and she nods in agreement.
DM: Cindy gets on the elevators at the end of the hall, escorting you and Brian to the 3rd floor.
Chris (Finagle): “Weee! Height!”
DM: She leads you down the hall, stopping at 332. She and her husband’s apartment is neat, filled with Elvish decorations and furniture.
Chris (Finagle): Is her husband there?
DM: She sighs and says he’s looking for Rikki on another floor.

She shows you the room where Rikki-Tikki normally sleeps.
DM: *Brian rolls a d20*

Brian stops and looks toward a bookcase at the other side of the room.
DM: “Do you think he could get up there?” he asks.
DM: “Sure,” Cindy replies.
DM: “Well, the air duct thingy is open,” he points out.
Chris (Finagle): Finagle scrambles up the side and peeks over the top...
DM: You see that yes indeed the air duct, far too small for any person to crawl in, is open.
Chris (Finagle): Any signs of a ferret?
Chris (Finagle): (Fur stuck in a hinge say?)
DM: “Oh, no!” Cindy sighs heavily.
DM: Roll a d20, do you have spot or search as skills?
Chris (Finagle): Yeah.... Search +4...
DM: Good. Difficulty class 15, roll.
Chris (Finagle): 15 w/ bonus
DM: You don’t see a ferret--it’s a bit dark--but you do recognize the rather distinct smell one gives off.
DM: “How far down do you think he might’ve gone?” Brian asks both you and Cindy
Chris (Finagle): Can I reach in and try to get it’s attention? (assuming he’s still in da vents)
DM: You reach in, then you hear a soft giggling sound.
Chris (Finagle): Where?
Chris (Finagle): in the vent?
DM: It’s coming from the vent.

“Fingers! hee hee hee!”
DM: “Catch me if you can! Whee!”
Chris (Finagle): Slowly withdraw them, wiggling them all the time...
DM: “Do you hear him?” Cindy asks.
Chris (Finagle): “He’s right here.”

“He’s teasing me...”
DM: “Rikki!” she calls, trying to climb up beside you. “Rikki, get over here, now!”
Chris (Finagle): *Get out of her way...’*
Chris (Finagle): *Down another sugar package, in preperation*
DM: The laughing is stonger, yet begins to fade away as a scampering noise scratches further down the ducts.
DM: “No! No, come back!” Cindy snaps.
Chris (Finagle): Which way does vent go?
DM: Cindy thinks for a moment, then says it more than likely heads toward the kitchens of the living complex. In the other direction it would head toward the labs, which are between the business end of the Bureau and the enforcement end.
Chris (Finagle): “Ok, you get the kitchens, I’ll go get the labs...”
DM: Cindy nods in agreement, then climbs down.
DM: Brian will go with you.
Chris (Finagle): K, Go go speed racer!
Chris (Finagle): (Joke...)
DM: The two of you run to the glass walkways that seperate the living complex and the other complex. Above you is the vent, below you are the crowds doing business in the main hall of the Bureau.
DM: Brian leads you toward the labs, and the two of you are stopped by a security guard.
DM: An orc, not very intelligent looking, but rather large and quite intimidating in a uniform.
Chris (Finagle): How bigisshe?
Chris (Finagle): oh, sorry...
DM: “What’s this then?” he asks.
DM: “Uh . . .” Brian begins to fumble through his pockets to find his ID
Chris (Finagle): “Ummm, a neighbors ferret got loose in the air vents, we’re trying to hunt it down, sir”
Chris (Finagle): “Could we please check the airvents inside?”
DM: Surprised by the excuse, the orc scratches his temple.
DM: “I have ID, I work in this section,” Brian swears, finally finding his wallet.
Chris (Finagle): “Yeah, that too!”
DM: “A ferret, yasay?” the guard asks, not sure of how to respond to the two of you now.
DM: “Ah, ha!” Brian says triumpantly, holding up his ID.
DM: (It’s a horrible picture, but reads that he is a techno-expert with a high-level clearance.)
Chris (Finagle): He’s not that big, but he is smart and fast, so we need to work quickly!”
DM: “Well . . . “ He rubs his chin. ‘“Cain’t argue with the ID. Go on.”
DM: Brian, quite smug with himself, leads you on.
Chris (Finagle): “You’re in R&D?”
DM: “Huh?”
Chris (Finagle): “you’re card said techno-expert, what’s your specialty?” *said while checking vents and sneaking looks at labs*
DM: “Oh, okay. Hacking. That’s me.” He puffs with a bit of pride. “I’m one of the best. Systems bow before me and computers tremble at my might.”
DM: “I handle lots of files around here.”
Chris (Finagle): “Like inventory!?!”
DM: “Well, not per se,” he shrugs. “On missions I do a little work, and around the Bureau I mostly do financial, and lots of detective work.”
DM: “Decode files, translate recordings, find this guy, do that, you know how it is.”
Chris (Finagle): “Oh, You translate? I’ll remember that.”
DM: The both of you reach the labs, and Brian swipes his ID through a slot on the side of the door.
DM: The room is quite large, and the room Brian’s taken you in appears to mostly be for studying specimens, ranging from racks of microscope slides to cages with odd-looking creatures in them.
DM: A man sits at a set of cages near the back, then stands when he sees the two of you.
DM: He is black, with large eyes and greying hair.
Chris (Finagle): “Hello, just checking your vents for mammals!”

“Mammals?” he asks. “You mean rats?”
DM: “Rats nummy!” voices chant from the cage behind him
DM: “Mammals yummy!” they add.
Chris (Finagle): “No a ferret escaped, and were trying to... *runs down...*
Chris (Finagle): “Wha?...”
DM: When you near the cage you can see it’s an extremely large cage, a room more or less, with several dozen gremlins inside. They look like the ones from the movies, and all of them smile at you with toothy grins when you step next to the scientist.
DM: “See?” one says. “Mammal!”

“Yummy!” the others chant.
DM: “And I just got them to shut up,” the scientist sighs.
Chris (Finagle): “Hi, could you do me a favor?” *to gremlins*
Chris (Finagle): “I’ll reward you of course...”
DM: “Favors!”
“Party favors!”
“Yummy!”
Chris (Finagle): “Do ya’ll have any favorite foods?”
DM: “Meat.”
“Meat.”
“Meat.
“Meat.”
“Meat.”
“Meat.”
“Quiche.” (He gets weird stares from the others, the overall census seems to be “meat.”)
Chris (Finagle): “Ok, I’ll bring down some steaks tomorrow if you will promise not to eat a small bony, hairy, scrawney ferret for me... Deal? I’ll even through in a quiche...”
DM: “Meat!” they all begin jumping up and down excitedly.
DM: “Oh, no,” the scientist groans. “Now they’ll take forever to quiet down!”
Chris (Finagle): “Is it a deal? All you have to do is give the ferret, if it shows up, to, uh, your boss here...”
DM: “Deal! Deal!”
“Yummy!”
Chris (Finagle): “Thanks a lot guys!” *Turning to scientist* “Uh, I’m sorry I didn’t get your name...”
DM: “Malcom. Kenneth Malcom.” Then he kneels toward the cage and clears his throat. He begins singing: “Imagine me and you, I do, I think about you day and night--”
DM: The gremlins stop. They listen a moment, then join in.

“So happy together!”
Chris (Finagle): *Grin* *join in next chorus*
DM: “This’ll take a while. Once they get started they’re hard to stop,” Malcom says to you as they sing. “Just go ahead and I’ll keep an eye open for you ferret.”
Chris (Finagle): “Thanks a lot, If I can ever do you a favor... Just holler”
DM: Brian laughs and leads you out. As you leave you can hear

“--No matter how they tossed the dice, it had to be. The only one for me is you, and you for me, So Happy Together!”
Chris (Finagle): ( I like them, Gremlins are cute)
DM: Brian is still snickering when you go back in the hall, but as he stops, you can still hear a giggling from above you.
Chris (Finagle): What’s the ceiling like here?
DM: It’s not too high, and the air vent is directly above you.
Chris (Finagle): *Finagle jumps up and grags the vent*
DM: It groans a little under your weight and you hear a tiny shriek. Brian grabs your waist to hold you up

“Get ‘im! Grab ‘im!”
Chris (Finagle): *Reach in an snag the little bugger, or at least chase him back to the lab...*
DM: “Eek! Meanie, meanie! Stop!”

You can almost get a grip, but like a furry snake it wiggles out of your grasp.
Chris (Finagle): “Come back here, please!?”
DM: “My hidey-hole!” he snaps at you, then you hear him trying to scamper away again.
DM: “Dammit!” Brian groans, having a little trouble holding you.
Chris (Finagle): (130 lbs is a problem?)
DM: For a long time, sure.
Chris (Finagle): “Ok, lemme down, he already went that way...” *sigh*
DM: Angrily Brian grumbles as he lets you down. He looks down the hall and sighs. “Wonder where the vents lead to . . .”
Chris (Finagle): “One way to find out...”
Chris (Finagle): “You met the gremlins before?”
DM: “No, they must’ve been collected by some Knight on mission. Gremlins are generally some nasty little buggers. Did you see those teeth?!”
DM: “I’ve heard of guys my size getting torn apart by a group of them that size.”
Chris (Finagle): “Well, yeah, but they seemed nice enough...”
DM: “Maybe,” he says uneasily.
Chris (Finagle): “Maybe I could vist them again...”
DM: “Heh. We could teach ‘em Broadway next time.”
Chris (Finagle): “Or maybe they could teach me...” *musing quitley...*
DM: He laughs. You both head down the hall, then notice where the vent splits off in a t-intersection. One leading to a broom closet, the other direction to an office of some kind.
Chris (Finagle): Hey, Brian? Ya wanna get the closset?”
DM: “Closet’s cool, I guess.”
Chris (Finagle): “K, meetcha in the next lab...”
DM: When you open the other door, you see it’s a tech lab, the lights are off, and you hear soft whispering--but not Rikki’s. It’s two people, a man and a woman.
DM: “Who’s that?” the man asks.
“Finagle Luckshore,” the woman responds.
Chris (Finagle): “Ummm, Hello?”
Chris (Finagle): *reassuring swig of sugar*
DM: The woman steps into the light and you see it’s Autumn Yieotana, the telepath. “It’s tough to surprise a telepath, kid. But you came close.”
Chris (Finagle): “Oh, Hi Mrs. Yieotana, whatcha doing?”
DM: “Just trying to finish up a little business. And it’s Ms. You can call me Autumn.”
DM: The man you can only barely see, but you recoginze him. He was there last night when you were “inducted” into the BMM: Michael Dunne, the one who mercy-killed Jericho and then fell unconcious.
Chris (Finagle): *Edge away from psycho cop* “Ok, Autumn, I’m just looking for a ferret that escaped into the air-vents... Do you mind if I check around here?”
DM: “Hey, Finny!” you hear from across the hall.
DM: “Brian Greenman is calling,” Autumn points out.
Chris (Finagle): “Ok, lemme go check with him...” *exit, gracefully*
DM: Brian is in the closet, shaking his head and laughing.
The air vent opens into the room, and all around the dusty shelves are food, candy, small stuffed animals, shoes, Barbie-sized plastic furniture, and a rather sad-looking ferret.
DM: He’s light brown with a dark little mask pattern on his face, dark paws, and large, brown eyes that look up at you pitifully.
Chris (Finagle): “ummm, he got loose a lot, didn’t he?”
DM: “You thieving little bastard,” Brian laughs. “There’s my other sandle!”
Chris (Finagle): “How long did it take you to get all this together?” *to the ferret*
DM: “I’m sorry,” he whimpers. “I like to collect stuff. This is my hidey-hole. I found it a few months ago.”
Chris (Finagle): “Well, It doesn’t look like you broke anything, and I’m sure you mean “borrow”... Should we tell Cindy?”
DM: Rikki-Tikki cries softly and Brian sighs. “Man, don’t do that.” He looks at you and shakes his head. “Go ahead and keep my sandle, Rikki. If you want the other I can get it for you.”
DM: Rikki’s eyes brighten and he leaps onto the floor at your feet. “Yay! I think I wanna go home now. I’m hungry.”
DM: “You got enough food in here to feed an army,” Brian snickers
Chris (Finagle): “Oh, all right... Hey Rikki if you can get me some parts I could build you a device to alert you when Cindy is gonna come into your room... That way she wouldn’t be surprised by your absence.”
DM: ^_^ “Sure!” he chirps.

“Just don’t get caught,” Brian adds.
DM: “Never do,” Rikki replies.
Chris (Finagle): “I’m sure you don’t, mean time, care to escort us home?”
DM: “Let’s go,” Rikki says, trotting past you and skipping down the hall.
DM: “You don’t think that orc’d ask for his ID, do you?” Brian asks with a smirk.
Chris (Finagle): “Nah, nobody bothers a ferret with attitude!”

Last edited:

Finagle P. Luckshore: Male human Wiz1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4+2; hp 6; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 12 (Dex); Atk none yet; SQ ghostbond; SV Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +0; Str 9, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 7, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Computer Use +8, Concentration +6, Hide +4, Listen +0, Knowledge (electronics) +8, Knowledge (mechanical engineering) +8, Spot +2; Run, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (evocation).
Note: Computer Use and Spot are his floating class skills.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spirit Manifestation, Turn Resistance, +2 Intelligence.

Spells per Day: 3 / 2. Typically prepared—Arc of Lightning (as Ray of Frost), Flare, Mage Hand / Endure Elements, Shocking Grasp.

Background:
Finagle is a prodigy, taking after his late uncle by finishing school years ahead of schedule. He is fascinated by electronic and mechanical devices, and spent much of his youth tinkering on various small inventions, again, just like his late uncle.

Soon after finishing high school by the age of 14, Finagle decided to take time off from his education to just goof around. A technical school agreed to pay for his lodging and travel expenses for two years, until he reached the minimum enrollment age of 16, so for the past two years he has seen the world, ‘supervised’ by a lax chaperone. Because of this, he is more world-conscious than most prodigies, but still lacks a good deal of common sense or willpower. He blames this not on his own immaturity, but on the headaches he has experienced ever since he stopped going to school.

Though he was planning to start college in the fall, after discovering that his headaches had been caused by the guardian spirit of his late uncle (who had disapproved of Finagle postponing his education), Finagle eagerly decided to start learning about the world of magic. In just the few short weeks before he is supposed to go to college (he had to sign a contract with the school), Finagle intends to figure out ways to better mix magic and technology, which he thinks right now are far too separate.

Finagle’s Ghost:
Uncle Cheston was an inventor who dabbled creating all manner of electronic and mechanical devices even before he graduated from college in 1968—at the age of 17. Though he was a bit of a black sheep, the Luckshore family loved having him around for his sense of humor. Sadly, he electrocuted himself while trying to solder a game of pong. His desire, ultimately self-destructive, was to bond the pong game directly into a TV, so he could take the game and the screen together easily. In his time as a spirit, he has had to keep Finagle from electrocuting himself once or twice.

Fey Beast Templates:
Terra is inhabited by a whole ecosphere of creatures, full of diversity, but out of which only a few demonstrate significant intelligence. On Gaia, however, nearly all the creatures one encounters possess at least some small gleam of intelligence—a mysterious, magical awareness. Such creatures come in two varieties. The simplest differentiations would be ‘light and dark’ or ‘good and evil,’ but the demeanor of these creatures is far more subtle. The terms “Seelie” and “Unseelie,” while historically localized to northern Europe, have been adopted by most English-speakers to discuss these fey creatures.

Seelie creatures are characterized by light-heartedness and fickle benevolence, while Unseelie creatures are known for capriciousness. Additionally, all creatures of Gaia, even animals, are possessed of a unique aura that lets anyone who sees the creature recognize it as foreign to Terra, as if something was not quite normal with the animal. Though typically Seelie creatures are beautiful and Unseelie are ugly and twisted, sometimes appearances can mislead. A shaggy, emaciated pony might be a Seelie creature whose appearance is a test for the kindness of travelers, while myths tell of Unseelie creatures that have unearthly beauty, they dark magnificence concealing their vicious natures.

Creating an Unseelie Beast:
Unseelie Beast is a template that can be applied to any animal with an intelligence of at least 1. The creature’s type becomes “magical beast,” but it is also considered an “animal” for the sake of spells, effects, and skills. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Hit Dice: Change to d6.
Speed: Same as the base creature.
AC: Same as the base creature, but it gains a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma bonus (if any).
Attacks and Damage: The same as the base creature.
Special Qualities: An unseelie beast retains all the special qualities of the base creatures and also gains the following ones:
  • Darkvision with unlimited range.
  • Light Blindness. Abrupt exposure to bright light, such as sunlight or the Daylight spell, blinds the Unseelie Beast for 1 round. In addition, it suffers a –1 penalty to all attack rolls, saves, and checks while operating in bright light.
  • Spell resistance equal to twice its hit dice (minimum 2).
  • Scare at will (DC 5).
  • Invisibility at will while in its natural terrain (whether on Gaia or Terra). However, the creature cannot attack while invisible. It can become visible as a standard action.
Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: The same as the base creature, except that the unseelie beast’s intelligence raises to at least 3, and it gains a +4 bonus to Dexterity.
Skills: Same as the base creature, plus it has Hide +6 and Move Silently +6.
Feats: Same as the base creature.
Treasure: None.
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral (Evil).
Advancement: Same as the base creature.

Creating a Seelie Beast:
Seelie Beast is a template that can be applied to any animal with an intelligence of at least 1. The creature’s type becomes “magical beast,” but it is also considered an “animal” for the sake of spells, effects, and skills. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Hit Dice: Change to d6.
Speed: Same as the base creature.
AC: Same as the base creature, but it gains a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma bonus (if any).
Attacks and Damage: The same as the base creature.
Special Qualities: An unseelie beast retains all the special qualities of the base creatures and also gains the following ones:
  • Low-light vision.
  • Spell resistance equal to twice its hit dice (minimum 2).
  • Hypnotism at will (DC 5).
  • Invisibility at will while in its natural terrain (whether on Gaia or Terra). However, the creature cannot attack while invisible. It can become visible as a standard action.
Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: The same as the base creature, except that the unseelie beast’s intelligence raises to at least 3, and it gains a +4 bonus to Dexterity.
Skills: Same as the base creature, plus it has Hide +6 and Move Silently +6.
Feats: Same as the base creature.
Treasure: None.
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral (Evil).
Advancement: Same as the base creature.

Last edited:

Chapter Six: Sir, a call for you

Three nights ago, Flarinaman, a 450-year-old Dragon living in Atlanta, was murdered while vacationing in Savannah, caught by a fireball before he could finish polymorphing back to normal from his human form. The death of a wealthy businessman . . . err, businessDragon, has greatly upset the Bureau, especially because Flarinaman made yearly financial ‘contributions’ to the Bureau to make sure they would not reveal his identity. Now the Bureau has to dispose of a gargantuan reptilian body, provide a fake corpse for a fake funeral, and explain why a historical Savannah house seems to have exploded, the nasty side of effect of Flarinaman’s body reverting to its natural form at death. A 450-year-old Dragon just doesn’t very easily into an old house.

As if this wasn’t enough to worry the Bureau, the night before Flarinaman’s death, another Dragon was murdered in Hong Kong. Millionaire businesswoman Li Tsi Tong was assassinated in the 70th-floor penthouse of her skyscraper (thankfully, her penthouse is large enough to contain a 30-foot long gold Dragon), in what was apparently a vicious battle. They’ve dispatched a team to handle the clean-up and redistribution of her assets, but in the meanwhile, knights around the world are having to work their li’l butts off to protect all the Dragons around the world, especially the high-profile ones.

The Bureau assigns the knights in Savannah (Iscalio, Cai, Jenny, Finagle, and Madeline, but not Tagin, who is on special assignment somewhere in China) to visit, question, and in general investigate Max Dorman, a Savannah local. He’s from the prestigious Dorman line, an Old Money family that has existed on the Georgia coast for almost two centuries. In truth, however, all the various Mr. Dorman’s through that time have been the same Dragon. Assets have just been consistently willed to offspring, nephews, or younger brothers whenever a particular alias reached the credible limits of human lifespan. Dornankanir, a bronze-scaled Dragon from Norse stock, took up the mantle of the Dorman family when it would have died out in 1812. Not a millionaire, but quite rich by anyone’s measure, Dornankanir is not only a potential victim, but also a suspect.

The knights are sent to go because they were the ones who witnessed Jericho Wright’s behavior as he fled the scene of Flarinaman’s death. As a precaution, to keep the old Dragon from acting rashly and attacking the newbie knights, the Chief sends along Michael Dunne, the paladin from the graveyard, and Galindrel White, an Elvish sorcerer who’s handy with both attack and escape magic (played by the same guy who played Keira in the last game).

The knights travel to the northern outskirts of Savannah, to the Dorman family’s old plantation house. They travel in a van, a typical undercover cop-style van with radios and receivers and tape recorders galore, but which looks like a plumbing van from the outside. Madeline drives, quite proud that she has memorized the street map of Savannah.

Madeline parks the van on the outskirts of the estate, and she, Cai, and Galindrel stay in the van, while Michael, Jenny, Iscalio, and Finagle walk through the well-tended gardens to the mansion’s front door. Finagle and Jenny wear wires, so the knights in the van can hear what’s going on, and Finagle also jury-rigged a mini-cam to fit in his messy and unkempt hair.

Reaching the front door, Michael rings the doorbell, but no one answers for several moments. Frustrated, complaining that Dornankanir was always a pain for the Bureau, he tries the knob and finds it unlocked, so they proceed inside.

Jenny is a bit nervous about this, and makes a point to say loudly enough for the recorders to pick it up that she thinks it’s a bad idea to barge into the man’s house. Then, she reconsiders, saying it is a very bad idea to barge into a Dragon’s house. Michael shrugs and says that he’s fought Dragons before.

Uneager, Jenny wants to remain outside, but her ghost, Pataman, urges her to follow Michael. He senses something odd about the man, but can say nothing more useful than that, “his voice is uneasy.” Reluctantly, Jenny goes inside, warily watching Michael as the older and more experienced knight leads the way.

The main foyer is well-furnished and perfectly maintained, but still no one greets them. Shrugging, Michael tells Finagle and Jenny to check up a flight of stairs while he and Iscalio work on the bottom floor. Before the theatre student and the computer geek can even reach the second floor, though, Iscalio shouts for them to come back down, the sound of envy in his voice.

The knights have found, down a wide hallway, a set of double doors that lead into a huge, high-ceilinged chamber, filled with a full layer of coins an inch deep, with large mounds scattered about the room. Michael shrugs as Iscalio furtively glances around at the glittering riches. Through the radio receivers in their ears, they hear Cai warn his brother not to piss off the Dragon. Iscalio frowns and mutters that he wasn’t planning to steal anything.

On edge from the silence of the house, Jenny tries to look around and admire the treasure to keep her mind off her fear. The knights exchange glances, and they’re just about to leave to check out the rest of the mansion when someone clears his throat in the doorway. Everyone turns to see a well-dressed man in his forties, with light brown hair and stern features, glaring at them disapprovingly, absently holding a martini in his right hand.

“Please tell me you’re robbers and not the Bureau again.”

They wait for Michael to speak, since he’s the leader of this mission, but the blond paladin just stares at the polymorphed Dragon. Nervously coughing, Jenny takes charge and informs Max Dorman, the current human form of Dornankanir, about the murders, and tells him they need to ask him a few questions. In response, the Dragon complains that the knights broke into his home, and he demands they leave. They can make an appointment with his secretary if they want to speak with him; that’s how most humans do business.

Taking offense to the insulting tone that the Dragon used when saying “human,” Iscalio begins firing off a string of questions, trying to get the Dragon off balance. Aside from saying that, yes, he often makes business trips, but no, he hasn’t been to China, Max Dorman refuses to answer to Iscalio’s interrogation.

“Now, get out of my house,” Max Dorman says. “I have a charity I plan to attend in Atlanta this weekend, and I have to finalize my plans. It’s for an important cause. Saving the environment from human encroachment.”

“Human encroachment my ass!” Iscalio shouts. “Lay the :):):):) off the human insults, you-”

Jenny grabs Iscalio’s shoulder and tugs him back away from the businessman. “Iscalio,” she reminds him, “you’re the one calling yourself a Druid, remember? You’re supposed to be in favor of protecting the environment.”

Iscalio grumbles, and Max Dorman clears his throat again. “I’ve had enough of this. If you don’t want a lawsuit, you’ll get the hell off my proper-”

Michael cuts him off, speaking a guttural language, shouting something angrily at the Dragon. Immediately, Jenny and Finagle’s ghosts warn that they see something odd that seems to be covering Michael’s body, and Iscalio’s fox ghost growls, bristling.

In the van, the knights listening on the radio shrug, not recognizing a word Michael just said. Finagle makes sure to record the event with his camera, as Dornankanir shouts something back at Michael, again in what they assume must be Draconic. Michael takes a step forward in reply, his hand going to the hilt of his light sword, and the blond man growls out another phrase in Draconic.

Before any of the other knights can try to stop the situation, Max Dorman’s body contorts, and a bronze-scaled beast tears out of the guise of a human businessman. Jenny has the presence of mind to shout, “He’s turning into a Dragon!” so the knights in the van will know what’s up, while Finagle had decided to run instead of watching the Dragon revert to his normal, fierce self. Whether they are looking at Dornankanir or not, though, they feel a powerful thrum of energy pass through them. For a moment, their contact with their ghost wavers, and then stabilizes, but everyone except Michael is too unsettled to move for a moment. Michael stands almost completely still, and doesn’t even seem to see the twenty-foot long Dragon towering over him.

Growling at them in deep, hissing voice speaking English, Dornankanir tells them they made a mistake insulting him in his own home. His massive bulk blocks the exit out of the hoard room, and he takes a deliberate step toward them. Iscalio ignites the blade of his scythe and runs forward to attack, but Dornankanir simply lines his gaze up with the albino Druid, and Iscalio’s legs go weak. He falls backward, dropping his scythe and staring up in momentary panic at the Dragon.

In the van, Madeline leaps into the driver’s seat at Cai’s urging and swerves the vehicle around, gunning the pedal to drive the car up the main paved walkway to Max Dorman’s house. Galindrel conveniently cowers in the back of the van, saying quietly that they really shouldn’t just go-

And with a crash the van drives up the steps and smashes through the large front door of the mansion. Moving too fast to stop, Madeline puts the van into a 180 degree spin, and, now moving in reverse, it skids down the hallway to the doorway of the horde room. Cai throws open the back door of the van and yells for everyone to get in.

Jenny tries to shake Michael out of his fear, but then she sees his expression. Unlike Iscalio, Michael isn’t afraid. He looks more dazed, as if almost asleep. She shouts for Finagle to help Iscalio and Michael, then tries to draw off Dornankanir’s attention.

Activating her spear, she makes an ineffective slash at the Dragon’s hind leg, then breaks into a run, heading for an array of exquisite vases. She stops long enough to see that the Dragon is raising a claw to crush Iscalio, and desperately she shouts, “Mr. Kanir! Over here!”

The Dragon pauses for a moment to see her, then realizes what exactly a woman with a spear could do to Ming vases. He begins to leap at her, and Jenny, though shuddering with fear, is relieved that in a moment the way will be clear for Iscalio, Finagle, and Michael. Unfortunately, in mid-jump, Dornankanir is distracted again when Cai fires a blast of shotgun pellets into one wing. The blast only stings the Dragon, but he turns to face the greater concentration of humans, taking Jenny down with a lash of his tail that catches her in the chest and knocks her away from the vases.

Dornankanir’s eyes crackle with arcs of electricity, and his gaze levels upon Michael, who is only now dully moving toward the van, being ushered forward by Cai and Iscalio. Finagle sees the lightning surging in the Dragon’s mouth, and with a shout, he leaps into the line of fire, catching the bolt in his back and protecting Michael. The jolt of the electrical blast hurls him through the air to land in the back of the van, where Galindrel lies almost comatose for some unknown reason.

Struggling to her feet, Jenny gasps for breath, but steels herself for another attempt to get the Dragon away from her teammates, when suddenly a voice projects out over the clamor.

“Sir, a call for you.”

Dornankanir turns his head to see his butler standing beside the van in the doorway, holding a portable phone. Another shotgun blast and several pistol rounds pepper him, and he angrily waves a claw at the knights. “Stop shooting. I have to take this.”

Seeing that Dornankanir is distracted, holding a fragile little phone between his claws, Jenny staggers into the back of the van and focuses her energies to heal Finagle, only to find that he seems quite healthy, if woozy. Finagle has always had an affinity for electronics, and apparently also for electricity, so the bolt barely hurt him.

Quickly pulling the door shut as the last of the knights gets into the van, Cai calls for Madeline to drive. When Finagle realizes that they must have driven through the front door to rescue them, he says they should stop. Madeline slows as the van begins to roll down the steps, but Cai stops Finagle before he can hop out of the back of the van.

Through the open back door of the van, Finagle P. Luckshore points at the ruined oak door at the front of the mansion.

“Look, the Dragon will be royally pissed if we leave his door that way, but I have a mending spell. Give me a few hours and that door’ll be as good as plywood!”

A resounding ‘no’ from the van leaves Finagle pouting as Madeline provides their getaway. As they head for a Bureau parking house, Iscalio, Cai, and Jenny try to question Michael, to see why the heck he shouted something in Dragonish at the man. Unfortunately, Michael doesn’t even remember the exchange, and he claims that he doesn’t even know Draconic, so he couldn’t tell them what he’d said even if he knew he’d said it.

The only question that they haven’t addressed is Galindrel, but by now the Elvish sorcerer seems to be doing fine. He explains that he really wasn’t supposed to go with them into the mansion, because of what just happened. Dragons have powerful magical auras, strong enough to overpower people native to Gaia. Spirits, which are slightly connected with Gaia, can be momentarily dazed by contact with a Dragon’s aura, which is why classically dragon-slayers were always warriors and not magi. Everyone vaguely recalls having heard something about draconic auras in their initial training, but no one had reminded them before they went on this mission.

The short mission seems rather pointless, but then Cai sighs in acceptance. He shrugs and pats the computer terminal that had been recording the signals from Jenny and Iscalio’s wires. They can get it translated when they get back to headquarters.

Finagle’s sad mood perks up, and he mentions that the guy who lives next door to him is great with computers, and that he’s pretty sure his buddy Brian would gladly translate it for them. From now on, though, Finagle tended to call Michael the “psycho cop” as often as he’d call him by his real name.

Remove ads