Savannah Knights (mild update 06-10-05)

What is your opinion of this storyhour

• I have read most of this story, but I wouldn't suggest it to others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After a quick glance, I decided I didn't like it.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I glanced at it, and thought it was okay.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • This is a good story, and I recommend you take a look a tit.

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • I check this thread every few days for new updates, I like it so much. I also regularly check the w

Votes: 8 17.4%

Yes, the D20 system is remarkably flexible. Jessie basically just guestimated how hard a maneuver, then set a DC, without having to bother about accuracy. It was fast and dramatic, even if the hot wheels kept rolling along the map on their own.

Quick question. Who would be interested in seeing a setting akin to this? I know Jessie wouldn't give up her baby, but Asgard magazine could in future issues include some Mythical Earth rules and roleplaying suggestions. Would you be interested in that?

J’Qwuan: Illithid Psn4; Medium-size Aberration; HD 8d8+4d4+12; hp 58; Init +6; Spd 30 ft.; AC 19 (+2 Dex, +4 Inertial Armor, +3 Natural); Atk 4 tentacles +10 melee (1d4+1); SA mind blast, psionics, improved grab, extract SQ SR 25, telepathy; SV Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +13; Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 17, Cha 17.

Skills and Feats: Bluff +18, Concentration +12, Diplomacy +18, Hide +8, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (psionics) +10, Listen +17, Move Silently +7, Psicraft +20, Spot +20. Alertness, Combat Casting, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Psychic Inquisitor, Psychoanalyst, Weapon Finesse (tentacle).

Power Points Per Day: 11 — Daze, Distract, Missive, Telempathic Projection; Disable, Empathy, Object Reading; Aversion.

Powers at Will: Astral Projection, Charm Monster, Detect Thoughts, Levitate, Mind Blast, Plane Shift, Suggestion.

Background:
J’Qwuan’s arrival in the Bureau is mysterious. The most anyone knows is that he worked with four generations of knights before the current Chief, and that he was confidante of all the Bureau commanders since the 1970s. Though he once worked in the field as a scout or guardian, since 1983 he has held the office of Head Telepath. His agenda is alien, but so far he has been loyal.

Would you believe I'm running out of material to write about? We only had so much ahead of time. But I'll come back when I have the time in future weeks and add extra information.

Chapter Eleven: Uneasy Spirits

It’s early June, 2000, a Sunday. Earlier in the afternoon the Dragon Dornankanir was seemingly assassinated, since magical detection revealed a poison in his system that would induce a heart attack. He was killed in human form, though, and discreetly. The killer has kept a low profile as far as normal people are concerned; he could have easily just fireballed the building (a fireball was used to kill another Dragon, Flarinaman), but he opted to play along with the Bureau and not reveal the presence of magic to mundanes.

After the assassination, the Chief berated Iscalio Maxwell for endangering innocent bystanders with his violent gunfire. The Chief took him off the case for now and told him to write a report explaining his actions. Then, since another one of the knights, Michael Dunne, hadn’t reported in yet, the Chief sent off the rest of the group to Savannah to try to track down the paladin. Michael’s girlfriend, Keira McCormick, was murdered at almost the same time, and the Chief wants Michael to be told.

The knights—Cai Maxwell, Jenny Windgrave, Madeline West, Tagin, and Finagle P. Luckshore, make it through the gate into Savannah near one of the dorms of the Savannah College of Art & Design. They quickly pile into Madeline’s car and drive to Bonaventure Cemetery, where they first met Michael. Michael often works the “graveyard shift,” cycling between graveyards in Savannah and New Orleans to make sure enthusiasts of the occult do not cause disturbances to the resting spirits. Also, sometimes he is called upon to deal with the undead.

The knights reach the cemetery and park outside because the gates are locked at night. By now it’s probably only 8 or 9 pm, so Savannah is still bustling outside the graveyard gates. The group walks through the long lines of trees and tombstones, admiring in the dim light the elaborate craftsmanship on many of the stone obelisks and marble columns marking the final resting places of thousands of rich men and women from Savannah. In the daytime you can drive through the cemetery along the dirt roads, but it is night now, and disturbingly dark because there are no electric lights for at least a mile leading off toward the river. The group sticks to the dirt roads, a bit nervous to stray into the family plots in the middle of the night.

As they walk, they can hear their footfalls crunching on bits of gravel in the road, the noise fading dully into the trees around them. Cai coughs, drawing everyone’s nervous attention. He mentions that now that it’s been an hour or two, he vaguely recalls seeing someone heading toward the convention center as he neared the car where Keira was killed. The memory is fuzzy, and it seems to burn his eyes whenever he tries to picture it in his head. He’s fairly certain he did see something, but that whoever it was must have blocked his memory. Aside from the fact that he hates not being in control of himself, or his memories, he’s concerned that the only person there who could fiddle with memories was Dalavar.

Jenny’s about to question his logic when a footstep crunches in the road ahead of them. They all look in a moment of panic, and Madeline conjures a cantrip of light to reveal Michael Dunne standing at the edge of the road, staring at them warily.

He asks them what they’re doing in his cemetery, and he starts to walk off toward the river, obviously expecting them to follow. Jenny tells him the Chief wants him back at the Bureau. There was another killing, and this time one knight was killed and another went missing. Before they reached the cemetery, Jenny advised everyone to just not say anything about Keira, to let the Chief break the news.

Michael is distracted, and he points toward an elaborate gravesite near the edge of the river. He says that ever since that night with Jericho Wright, he’s felt drawn to this particular grave, as if he expects something to happen here. Michael and the party stop, and the paladin sighs, then turns to them, explaining that the huge marble structure in front of them is supposed to be the Gates of Heaven. One rich Savannah resident commissioned it so everyone would know where he was going when he died. There’s even a life-size statue of St. Peter standing as if waiting for you to walk through the gates.

Jenny nods, admiring the craftsmanship if not the sentiment behind it. She too feels something eerie here, and she tells the party. Michael nods, then walks for the structure, asking as he approaches it who was killed. Cai is just about to reply when Michael takes the first step onto the marble, ascending to the gates of heaven.

A dull groan fills the still air of the cemetery, and the ground around them seems to stir.

Michael draws his arcane blade and activates the curved blade, illuminating the scene in brilliant white as the top of a coffin rips through the earth inches from his feet, followed by a pair of dessicated hands clawing their way out of the ground.

Madeline begins to gather spell energy, and all the other knights ready their weapons. Cai grips his sawed-off double barrel twelve-gauge shotgun, Jenny her spear, Tagin his pistol, and Finagle his jury-rigged gyroscopic compressed air rifle (he replaced the tranq darts with small explosives, akin to big firecrackers).

All around them, corpses tear their way out of their graves, totally perhaps a score or more, and they begin to advance on the group. They are all dressed in fine clothing, now rotting off. Some even wear their wedding dresses or tuxedos, and as they shamble forward, their stench assaults the nostrils of those present who still have actual working organs.

Finagle pops off a shot at a zombie crawling out of its grave before it can get to its feet. The shot lands flawlessly into the undead’s cranium, then explodes, knocking the zombie back into the dirt. The explosion leaves a small hole in the corpse’s face, but only slows it down. It seems unfazed by having half its head destroyed.

Cai blasts a second zombie with his sawed-off double barrel twelve-gauge shotgun, ripping off both its legs. Michael slices off the head of the one nearest to him, and Madeline begins to cast a magic nissile spell. Her ghost, Catherine, is panicking because the zombies are around though, and her spell goes wild. Madeline begins to panic herself when she begins to levitate over the field of combat, hovering 20 feet in the air with nothing to direct her movement. She shouts for Catherine to calm down, but otherwise can’t do very much.

Tagin pops off a shot at one of the zombies and misses because it’s dark. He frowns, then backs away, rummaging in his pocket for his penlight. Then he shakes his head, realizing that he has no way to attach the two. Shrugging, he pulls out the penlight, just to make himself feel useful.

Jenny runs forward, intending to do battle with the unearthly creatures. Both she and her ghost Pataman give a war cry as Jenny charges toward the nearest zombies, but Jenny misses. Zombie must’ve dodged or something. *shrug*

Madeline calls desperately for someone to get her down, and though Finagle could probably pull it off, he’s too busy shooting things to bother being an actual wizard. He shoots another zombie, this time in the thigh, ineffectually trying to blow out its kneecap. Meanwhile, Cai casually blasts any zombie that gets within 10 feet. He calls out to Michael to ask why the dead decided to start walking all of a sudden.

Tagin sees a Zombie coming up from behind Michael, about to slam the paladin with his arms, so the hacker pops off a shot. It flies over Michael’s shoulder and grazes the undead, but Michael is alerted to the danger and takes the Zombie down with a nice pair of slashes from his scimitar. He then shouts to Cai that corpses never animate spontaneously. Something must be causing it.

Madeline, trying to make the most of the situation, spends the round telling her ghost Catherine not to be scared, because the Zombies can’t hurt her. Catherine replies that she can hear another ghost crying out in misery though, coming from somewhere nearby. When Madeline relays that information, everyone gets a clue to who must be animating the zombies.

Jenny ducks a clumsy swipe from the Zombie she’s battling, but her own spear thrust misses wildly. Sighing in frustration, she tells Pataman to go help Madeline’s ghost.

Cai kills another zombie, while Finagle finally succeeds in stopping one, hitting it in the throat, which then explodes in a gruesome decapitation. One of them finally gets close enough to clobber Finagle on his head, nearly dropping the scrawny man to the ground in one hit. Cai tucks his shotgun under his arm and draws his katana, intending to go rescue Finagle.

Tagin shouts to see if Jenny needs help, but Jenny is resolute to take this thing out on her own, so Tagin shrugs and instead runs away from all the Zombies that were getting a little too close to him. He gets near Michael, and uses the paladin as a shield from behind which he fires. Michael, Tagin notices, seems to hestitate, as if he’s uncertain what to do. Still, though, the man’s on top of his game, and is able to chop down the first Zombie that gets too close to him. Another four Zombies try to surround him, but they’re so slow that Michael and Tagin just back up to avoid them.

Madeline fires a magic missile at the Zombie beating on Finagle, but doesn’t stop it. She then shouts to Catherine to try to see what’s going on with the ghost that’s causing this trouble.

Meanwhile, Jenny tries to trip the Zombie with her spear, hoping it’ll be easier to deal with when it’s on the ground. The Zombie, a finely dressed man with a decomposing beard and rotting eyeballs, somehow avoids her trip attempt, even though it’s not particularly fleet of foot.

Cai beheads the Zombie attacking Finagle, and Finagle, just to be safe, shoots said Zombie in the chest. Since it’s only 5 feet away when it’s bursts outward in a tiny explosion, and Cai and Finagle are covered in Zombie bits.

“Next time rescue yourself,” Cai mutters, walking off to kill more Zombies. He sees Jenny in trouble and walks toward her, but she waves him off, saying she can handle it. Cai shrugs and gets out his shotgun again, deciding to give her a chance to prove herself.

Michael and Tagin are getting backed toward the Gates of Heaven sculpture, surrounded in a circle by Zombies. Tagin calls for help and tries to shoot a Zombie in the crotch, but to no effect. Michael and Tagin begin to climb the steps to the gate, and Michael slices down through one Zombie that gets too close.

Catherine and Pataman, the two ghosts stand incoporeally nearby Tagin and Michael, staring at the sculpture, which is the source of the moaning only they can hear. Catherine calls out, asking for the ghost to tell them who he is.

The statue of St. Peter reaches out past Tagin and touches Michael on his shoulder, saying in a voice filled with agony, “I’m . . . Gerrard.”

Tagin shrieks in panic and jumps away from the statue, landing in a pile of Zombies, but firing blindly into the statue. His bullets chew through the statue’s face, but it still reaches out to Michael. The blonde paladin gasps in surprise and barely restrains himself from hacking off the marble arm. In his moment of fright he is torn at his back by the Zombies. Tagin doesn’t fare too well either, as a trio of Zombie begin kicking him while he’s down.

Good thing he is down, though, as Cai’s blast from his sawed-off double barrel twelve-gauge shotgun rips into and through three Zombie torsos. Finagle covers himself with Mage Armor, because Cai has run off, leaving him alone to fend for himself.

Jenny, needing to finish off this Zombie fast and go help her friends, decides to try something new. She waits for the Zombie to throw itself at her, and then she drops to the ground and holds her spear up to pierce the undead’s chest as it falls upon her. The DM rules that the Zombie wasn’t actually trying to slam into Jenny, though, so Jenny is just lying on the ground where the Zombie can kick her. In frustration, Jenny slams her spear into the thing’s chest, hitting for a full 8 damage. Still, though, the Zombie doesn’t fall over.

Michael gets his wits about him and begins hacking at the Zombies that are trying to pull him to the ground, and Cai rushes in, sawed-off double barrel twelve-gauge shotgun a’blazing. Tagin barely crawls away with his life intact, but between his pistol and Madeline’s magic missile, the Zombie that was trying to kill him goes down.

Jenny leaves the Zombie with a spear stuck in its chest and runs to help and heal Tagin. Finagle asks her for help, but she thinks that he’s handling himself well enough on his own, so she runs past him toward the wounded hacker. Finagle sees a Zombie with a spear in its chest lumbering toward him, and he blows its head off.

Catherine and Pataman, the ghosts, are trying to talk down the other ghost, Gerrard, which has possessed the statue. Pataman figures that Gerrard must be responsible for the Zombies, and since they don’t know how to get him to stop, they just try to get him to calm down.

A frenetic hack fest takes place just outside the Gates of Heaven, and in a few more seconds the ground is littered with two dozen zombies in varying states of dismemberment. Jenny helps Tagin to his feet, and Finagle mage hands a rope up to Madeline so she can pull herself down. In the distance they can hear more people (well, zombies actually) shambling toward them, and Madeline and Jenny’s ghosts tell them that Gerrard, the ghost in the statue, isn’t doing it on purpose, but that he can’t control his powers because he’s ‘lost.’

Jenny asks Michael if he can exorcise the ghost, but Michael says he can’t. Jenny, suspicious, wonders why Michael didn’t use any magic against the Zombies when they attacked. If this ghost Gerrard is ‘lost,’ that might mean he was forced out of whoever he was in before. Just to be safe, she asks Michael to prove that he can still do magic. Michael grumbles at her lack of trust and waves his hand to conjure a ball of light.

“There, happy?”

Jenny is worried, but the rest of the group is too busy making fun of the fact that she couldn’t even kill a single Zombie for her to gather her thoughts. Cai tells her to be careful in the future, and leave the Zombie fighting to him. Then Cai pulls out his cel and tells the Bureau they’re on their way back, but that they need to send someone out to exorcise a ghost. They want to get out of there before any more Zombies show up.

The group rushes out of the graveyard, Cai and Finagle blasting any Zombies that get within 10 feet. As they get to Madeline’s car, the Bureau agents show up to exorcise the ghost. The knights cram into Madeline’s car (Madeline threatening to hurt them if they get blood on her seats), and they head back to the gate to the Bureau.

Michael, now that the shock has worn off, asks again which knight was killed earlier that day. Before Jenny can stop him, Cai replies that it was Keira, and Michael goes cold again. He slumps against the window of the car and manages to hold back his emotions, but obviously he’s torn up inside. Finagle tactlessly asks whether it was true that they were going out.

Finagle gets smacked on the head by Tagin for that one, and the rest of the car ride is in silence.

Acquana

First Post
Fear not! More posts are on the way, Wickett's just been really busy with finishing touches on Wild Spellcraft. At least that's what he's been telling me so I hope I can believe him. ^_-

There will indeed be an update later today. I just had to spend all of yesterday proofreading the text and working on the banner ad. And Morrus and I discussed an interesting product that I hope to be able to finish by August, which might intriguing for people who like this storyhour.

And Jessie, don't worry, I'm not selling out your world. ;)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
RangerWickett said:
There will indeed be an update later today. I just had to spend all of yesterday proofreading the text and working on the banner ad. And Morrus and I discussed an interesting product that I hope to be able to finish by August, which might intriguing for people who like this storyhour.

O.K., if you were creating new wonderful stuff for us I will forgive you. But today you MUST update, O.K.? ;) :)

And Jessie, don't worry, I'm not selling out your world. ;)

Why not? It would be wonderful! I would buy it even if it were a $30 softcover with an Avalanche-like cover of a certain Native American Paladin...
;)

Sorry, the above suggestion just caught me so totally off guard. Um . . . but hey, if you're interested, I'll tell Jessie.

And without further adieu, let us get back into the story with everyone's favorite NPC,

Brian Greenman: Male human Com1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4-1; hp 3; Init +3; Spd 30 ft.; AC 10 (t-shirt); Atk unarmed +1 melee (1d3+1); SV Fort -1, Ref +0, Will -3; Str 13, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 16, Wis 5, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Bluff +3, Computer Use +10, Disable Device +7, Forgery +5, Gather Information +5, Knowledge (gaming) +8; Skill Emphasis (Computer Use), Skill Emphasis (Knowledge (gaming)).
Note: All Knowledge skills, Computer Use, and Speak Language are class skills for Brian because of his Computer Science education. Disable Device and Gather Information are Brian’s floating class skills.

Background:
Brian played AD&D all through high school and college, but when he graduated he was without a group for several months. An attempt to spy on local witches to determine the accuracy of a particular article in Dragon magazine led to his recruitment in the Bureau when the witches actually summoned a small imp. Knights from the Bureau rescued him and defeated the witches. One of those knights actually used to run D&D games of his own, but they somehow lost the interest to roleplay anymore because of the adventurousness of their real lives. Regardless, Brian is still interested in gaming, and eagerly awaits the release of 3rd Edition.

Real Witchcraft and Wizardry in the world of High Fantasy

Though many of the myths of the world are surprisingly accurate if one travels to Gaia and looks for parallels, few modern myths have any basis in fact. One of the foremost of these concocted myths is the world of J.K. Rowling, and her Harry Potter books. As much as readers love the setting, there are no schools for witchcraft and wizardry in the world. Most magi develop the talents naturally, and if either humans or magi want to gain further magical power, they usually seek a tutor, or study on their own for many years.

However, it is interesting to note that in one way, life has imitated art. Within the past three years, a surprising number of magic-users have attempted to simulate the game Quidditch (a complicated game with three balls, one flying gold hummingbird, and flying broomsticks for all the players). Though the game is very silly when viewed objectively, enthusiasts of the books can be found in both Terra and Gaia (Gaian readers find it all rather quaint, actually). Efforts to start official tournaments are having a hard time, but there are at least three fan-made teams in England alone.

There is also the question of D&D, Tolkien, and the whole trend of modern fantasy. Who’s in the know, who’s just making stuff up? Though nothing can confirm it, Brian’s research files into this very subject suggest that Gary Gygax may himself have been a magi, which explains his youthful giddiness despite his old age, much like Merlin. Much as UFO conspiracy theorists think that shows like the X-Files are intended to acclimate humans to the idea of aliens being non-threatening, Brian and a handful of others believe that some of Tolkien’s good friends may have been Elves (yeah, like he really could make that language up all by himself!), and that Gygax was probably working for the Bureau when he released D&D back in the 70s. And true to form, anything related to magic or the fey was attacked as being satanic. Though recent incarnations have stemmed the tide of criticism, anyone who takes a look at the stuff WotC puts out for Magic: the Gathering can tell they have no idea what the hell they’re talking about. Apparently Washington doesn’t have as many gates to Gaia as Wisconsin.

Monte Cook, though. . . . He knows the real deal.

Chapter Twelve: Fugitives

Late one Sunday evening in June, 2000, a group of frustrated and weary knights walk enter the Bureau through a door between the real world and the Faerie World.

Aside from the standard guards, Autumn Yeiotana stands there, and with a quick glance across them she surveys the situation. Even without her telepathy, Autumn could have told from Michael’s expression that something is wrong. The blonde paladin is torn up because he has just learned from the party that his girlfriend and fellow knight, Keira McCormick, was killed on a mission earlier in the day.

Autumn walks up and supports him, saying quietly to the group that she’ll handle Michael. They need to report to the Chief. As Autumn leads Michael off to console him on his loss, the party walks quietly to where the Chief is waiting. They can all sense that Something Bad is about to happen.

They find the Chief amidst a group of desk workers and techies, all gathered in a room filled with computer terminals, plastic racks of divination scrolls, and various screens and scanners. The Chief looks grave and tells them to make themselves comfortable; they’ll be here for a while. Everyone leans against unused wallspace, except for Madeline and Finagle, who sit down wearily in the only available chairs.

The Chief hands out to them printed sheets of the details they know so far. Even though he knows Michael is in a horrible position, he still hopes Michael will be able to make it, because they might need him to crack this case. Still, Autumn said she wanted to talk to him, so he trusted her.

The facts are thus. The killer of the first two Dragons—Flarinaman, who had been in Savannah to visit Dornankanir, and Giriuko, a Hong-Kong corporate president—was Jericho Wright. Airline records confirm he was in both cities on the appropriate day. Jericho’s wife and two children turned up as dead ends; they believed he was just on a business trip. They have been told that Jericho Wright died in a mugging in Savannah.

Unfortunately, there are two problems. First of all, someone else killed another Dragon—Dornankanir, from Savannah—after the presumed killer died. Second of all, according to magical scans, Jericho Wright has no traces of spirit energy that should remain if he had bonded with a ghost. Since he’s obviously not a wizard, and obviously a human, they can’t explain how he was able to wield the magic he used on the party, not to mention on the Dragons he killed.

One Knight has gone missing—half-Elf telepath Dalavar Keneil—though it is possible he was killed by Gremlins that somehow escaped the Bureau. Another Knight has been killed—quarter-Elf Keira McCormick—and judging by her reaction right before her murder, she knew her killer. Dalavar is their key suspect for the murder of Keira, and a manhunt is out for him even now.

The only leads they’ve had so far about who the killer is have died. One—a Siren—killed herself after claiming that the killer is dead. The other—Gina Perez, bonded with the spirit of Margaret Thomas—was murdered by someone with a Bureau-style arcane sword, but she managed to scrawl out “Legion” before dying. Whether Legion is a name or a title or if it simply means that there were several attackers is unknown.

Cai mentions that he thinks his short term memory has been tampered with, since he can vaguely recall seeing someone running away from Keira’s murder scene, but trying to place the killer’s face just causes him headaches. The Chief considers this and starts to call for J’Qwuan to help dredge Cai’s mind. Cai, nervous that the Illithid might actually have been responsible for wiping his memory, asks to have at least two telepaths present. The Chief grudgingly agrees and calls Autumn in also.

In the few minutes it takes the two telepaths to arrive, the group discusses their thoughts. There is no consensus as to whether Legion is supposed to be a demon possessing people, or a telepath controlling people, or an organization of people working together to kill different natural magis. Everyone has been so busy thinking about the dead Dragons that only Tagin reminds them that the killer apparently wanted to murder the Siren also, but wasn’t able to because they were in a public place. It looks like the killer(s) have something in particular against Dragons, but is/are also eager to kill other magi. Keira and Dalavar were both partially magi.

As far as they can tell, that’s been the only connection in the murders, though it is possible that the killer is just traveling randomly, killing any magi he or she comes across along the way. Giriuko, Dornankanir, and Flarinaman were fairly high profile for Dragons, so it would make sense for ‘Legion’ to go after them first, since they would be easiest to find. Depressedly, they have to guess that the other magi were just collateral damage, and that the main goals were the Dragons.

The Illithid and the Elf telepaths arrive. Autumn glances at the Chief, then at Cai, as if questioning the Chief’s decision on something. The Chief shakes his head.

The group wonders if Autumn and the Chief are reacting poorly to Cai because of what his brother Iscalio did earlier, but before any of us can ask about Iscalio, the Chief speaks up. He explains to Autumn that they need to check Cai’s mind for traces of a memory wipe, but he himself is interrupted by one of the techies who walks forward urgently. The Chief turns to him, eager for news.

The technician says they’ve finished scanning through the surveillance tapes from the convention center where Dornankanir was murdered just hours ago. They only found one person who stands out and looks out of place. The techie hands over a printed black and white image from the surveillance camera in the kitchen. The Chief looks at it in confusion, then hands it to the party, asking if any of them recognize him.

[Copy and paste this link in a separate browser; you cannot just click straight through because geocities won’t let you: http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/SK_Images/Brian2-no.JPG]

The paper is passed around until Tagin and Finagle see it, and both gasp in surprise. Finagle breaths out in dismay.

“Brian, no.”

Guards are sent to bring in Brian Greenman, Finagle’s next door neighbor and recent teammate with Tagin on his mission in Hong Kong. When he shows up, apparently he knows the jig is up. He’s already blubbering, his clothes and hair a mess. Before they can even ask any questions, he shouts, “They said they’d wipe my mind if I didn’t do it!”

The Chief stares at him coldly. “Who?”

“ . . . I don’t know.”

“Who!”

J’Qwuan speaks into their minds, casually stating, He doesn’t know.

“Stay out of this!” the Chief snaps at his head telepath.

Glancing around in panic, Brian suddenly stops. He shudders for a moment, and then his eyes roll back in his head and he falls dead to the floor. Autumn gasps and runs off, saying she’ll get help. Finagle almost begins to cry at the sight of his friend lying dead on the floor. The whole room stands still in shock at the sudden death, with no sign as to what happened.

J’Qwuan’s telepathic voice says that he sensed a powerful force just now, and that only powerful magic or a powerful telepath could just kill someone so suddenly. The Illithid kneels next to the body, running a hand over Brian’s face to close his eyes.

The Chief turns to the room and furiously shouts for them to alert the facility. “I want to know that my agency isn’t going insane!”

The Illithid’s white eyes emotionlessly regard the gathered knights, and his thoughts reach them all with a trace of worry. I can give you every assurance that it is.

Without another word, the Mind Flayer stands and leaves the room.

Jenny tries to see if she could possibly heal Brian, but he is already long gone. The Chief orders the Knights out of the room, and as they leave the Chief surpervises the techies as they begin to scan Brian’s still warm corpse. A soft alert sounds through the whole facility, accompanied by a woman’s voice stating that everyone should be wary for magical forces. When the party asks what they should do, the Chief glowers and tells them to just leave. They have caused too much trouble already.

Finagle begins to cry, and Jenny tries to comfort him, leading him out of the room while glaring at the Chief as they leave. Once outside the room, they look at each other, unsure what to do, until Jenny decides to go talk to Michael. He seems to be the only one left who has been exposed to “Legion” and is still alive. Only a few days earlier, Michael had insulted Dornankanir in Draconic. Michael, however, doesn’t even know the language, and doesn’t remember the encounter.

Before they can get to Michael, however, a scream pierces their minds, Autumn’s voice crying out for help. The knights run to help, following the scream as it continues and intensifies as they grow nearer.

They come quickly to Autumn’s office. Cai kicks the door in, revealing Autumn and J’Qwuan staring at each other, sweat streaking their faces in a fierce battle of wills. J’Qwuan is slowly inching closer, his four gray-green tentacles reaching for the Elvish woman’s vulnerable face.

Cai considers for a moment, but Finagle rushes past him into the room, firing his tranq rifle at the Illithid. He shouts desperately, tears still streaming down his cheeks. “I’ll save you, Autumn!”

A telekinetic shield deflects the dart, but then the two telepaths slump away from each other at the same time. Cai yanks Finagle back, and the tall knight covers the room with his shotgun. Finagle struggles, pointing at J’Qwuan and shouting that the Illithid killed Brian. Cai shakes his head, confused, and he tells them all to wait.

The two telepaths stand in unison, their motions nearly exact mirrors. Both draw pistols from their clothing, and hold them warily toward the party. Autumn’s voice speaks at the same time that J’Qwuan’s mental voice seeps into their minds.

“How do you know which one of us won? How do you even know which one is the real threat? Who won, do you think? Plan to kill us both and hurt an innocent?”

The office is large, so Tagin and Jenny squeeze in, but Madeline and Finagle are stuck outside. Tagin decides to play it safe, and he fires a shot into the ceiling, hoping that the classic “drop ceiling on them” move will break the telepath’s concentration. Unfortunately, the building is mostly plastic and metal, so the shot just disappears harmlessly. However, at the shot, both telepaths cringe identically.

Cai drops his shotgun and draws his katana, while Jenny lunges in and stabs J’Qwuan in the thigh. She notices that only J’Qwuan seems to feel the pain, not Autumn. She is about to shout that Autumn’s in control, when a blast of mental energy stuns her, and she falls to the ground mutely.

Madeline fires her last pair of magic missiles, hitting both telepaths, which doesn’t help determine who’s who. Finagle again opts to shoot his dart gun rather than cast a spell, and again the dart is telekinetically deflected. He curses, screaming wildly. From down the hallways, they can hear others shouting in confusion or curiosity.

Cai starts to swing at J’Qwuan, but to his anger he feels his limbs begin to move without his control. Tagin fires a shot at Autumn, but the bullet is deflected mere inches from her face. Cai moves to attack Tagin, but Tagin ducks and disappears from Cai’s sight, leaping around him and close to Autumn, whom he stabs with his switchblade. Autumn falls away, but before Tagin can pin the woman the room falls into pitch blackness, and a blast of pain rocks through them all. For a moment, all is silent, and then the air fills with the sound of Cai’s katana humming through the air, followed by the distinct noise of a fleshy body being cut open.

The darkness fades away, and Finagle recovers just enough to recognize Autumn as she shoves him to the floor and rushes past him into the hallway. He falls back and in shock watches her run off.

Back in the room, Jenny and Tagin overcome the mental blast and see Cai leaning into J’Qwuan, his sword dug deep into the Illithid’s gut. Dark fluids course over his hands and onto the floor. Cai staggers away, and J’Qwuan slumps to the ground, a wheeze escaping his mouth. The Mind Flayer has been cut nearly in two, far too wounded for Jenny’s healing to save, but he still has the strength to send his thoughts to them.

He is at first angered that he is about to die, but he grows suddenly somber when a voice announces over the Bureau intercom that a fight has occurred in the office of Autumn Yeiotana, and that telepath J’Qwuan has been murdered. All able-bodied knights are to apprehend the killers and bring them to the Chief.

As Illithid blood floods the floor, J’Qwuan begins to shudder, near death. He tells them to run. He suspected Autumn, and when he confronted her, she proved far more powerful than he had knew, and she must be manipulating the Chief. They have to run if they want to survive.

J’Qwuan, with the last of his energy, dominates the nearest knight with a key and sends the party his way. The Illithid collapses into his own blood. Though it takes some prodding to get Jenny to flee the scene of the murder, they run and meet the knight, who blankly hands Tagin a key. The party slips into an elevator just as two more knights round the corner, chasing after them.

The alert repeats, giving physical descriptions of the party. As they exit the elevator near the room that holds the gates to the real world, Cai has to blast the guards in their legs with his shotgun so they can get access to the gates. Tagin pushes the key into the doorway, and it activates in a brilliant wash of light. With no time to think, they all leap through, leaving the Bureau behind.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Now the "knights" are fugitives! And they have killed the good guy... who has saved them.

What a wonderful story!

Remove ads