SciFi Channel: Season 10 is SG-1's last, Atlantis renewed

Ranger REG

Explorer
Frukathka said:
Well, freaking wonderful! My favorite show of all time, and now SciFi flushes another one! :mad:
Meh. I'm a little sad, but not mad. It had five good years on Showtime, and then five good years on SCI-FI. All in all, it is the longest-running contempory sci-fi genre TV series in the last 20 years, if not the entire American TV history. At least now the franchise can properly put a closure on this series and develop a new one, a third installment.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
It doesnt NEED a third installment.

Likewise without SG-1 I belive Atlantis' ratings will drop.

One reason their ratings are fairly high too is because of the crossovercontent. (sci-fi fans LOVE legit crossovers).

The simpsons has gone for how many years? i have no doubt Sci-fi could maintain the writing quality for a few more years.

The REAL problem is that they cant afford the show. The more years a show is on the more expensive it gets. The actors simply deserve more and more pay per year. They are supposed to get raises to keep in line with the shows success, and to keep in line with inflation.

It sucks but thats how it is. I just really really wish that they find a way to keep it on for a few more years.

I can even see them taking a break for 2 or 3 years and making 2 or 3 movies in the interm.

RatPunk

First Post
BrooklynKnight said:
As for any theatrical movies... The TV show is a sequal to the movie. Yes they used diffrent actors, but its all part of the same story line. Its the same Jack Oneil as in the movie and the same Daniel Jackson. Any movie would be a sequal to both, the original movie and the Show.

You apparently haven't seen the comments from Dean Devlin (co-producer of the original movie) where he states that the sequel movie he is planning would be a sequel to the movie only and ignore the series completely.

satori01

First Post
Better to go out on a high note...than fall into the depths like X-Files or Buffy. In Campaign terms, SG-1 is preparing to do battle with gods, their old nemesis the G'oauld are boring and for the most part disruptted, its time to wrap up the campaign with one big finale and put it to rest as good effort.

The show weathered it's cast transition well, and I think it could definetely go on for 2 more years, but as the old adage goes... leave them wanting more.

Kesh

First Post
Though it sucks that the series may end on a cliffhanger (making us wait for a TV movie or mini-series), I think the show has had its run. It should've ended when RDA left, or at least when the Goa'uld ceased to be a threat.

Glad to hear Atlantis is continuing on. Unlike some folks, I think Atlantis will hold its own, especially when the writers & producers can focus directly on it. Plus, they can always pull in characters from SG-1 for cameos, or even as regular characters next season.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
RatPunk said:
You apparently haven't seen the comments from Dean Devlin (co-producer of the original movie) where he states that the sequel movie he is planning would be a sequel to the movie only and ignore the series completely.

I have not. I think its a retarded move to do that but hey.

buzzard

First Post
While this is not something I'm glad to hear, I don't find it to be all that upsetting. The show has had a good run, and honestly the last two seasons haven't been that hot anyway. Thus, unless that add Dr. Who back to the Friday lineup, I'll be skipping TV yet another night.

buzzard

KaosDevice

Explorer
I'm kind of in the 'eh' corner on this one. I am a bit burned out on the show to be honest. Now they can shuffle some of that budget on over to BSG.

:p

Remove ads