• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sept] What Are You Reading?

MonsterMash

First Post
Starman said:
How is it? I really enjoyed Guns, Germs, and Steel and I've been curious about this one.
Collapse is interesting and fairly alarming in terms of where current societies stand as a lot of the historic mistakes are still being made, but there is still grounds for optimism. I don't regard it as being too environmentally deterministic, I'd not read any of Diamond's books since The Third Chimpanzee, so I don't have too much ground for comparison with Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Now reading The Honoured Society by Norman Lewis, Armies of the Middle Ages vol2 by Ian Heath and Mongoose Modern Pocket Handbook.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Joshua Dyal said:
Hey, you Blood Bowl novel folks; be sure and post your impressions of it, 'kay?

As a longtime player and fan of the game, I'm curious about the novel, and cautiously optimistic. We'll probably only buy one copy for our whole group, and just pass it around, but that partly depends on what I hear about it as folks read it.
I enjoyed it, good flow and capture of the game but not too much grid-iron. A good bit of the book is to intro you to the characters but not a bad read.

Last edited:

I've finished Katherine Kurtz "Deryni Tales", and wanted to start "In the King's Service", but I have put it on hold since I've read in the anthology the novel is a first novel in a new Deryni trilogy (I have a habit to try and read triogies and cycels and series, when they are complete, but there are some exceptions - Harry Potter, Diskworld, Xanth, Pern, Myth)

Right now I am reading "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell", and am enjoying it very much.

Waiting in the batting circle... Terry Brooks' "Voyage of the Jerle Shannara", all three books (see above)...

EricNoah

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
I want to read that Strange & Norrell book, but it's checked out at my local library.

I'm about 2/3 through it and it's good, I'm enjoying it. It's been a while since I was this "into" a book.

haiiro

First Post
I'm plodding through The Historian, which is pretty underwhelming. Somehow it's managed to stay above my "I'm going to stop reading this" threshold, but not by much.

The Josh

First Post
too much

Right now I'm reading

The Icewind Dale Trilogy - Salvatore
The Dark Tower series - Stephen King
The Robot Trilogy - Asimov
Elminster Making of a Mage - Ed Greenwood
The Spider Queen books
The White Company - Arthur Conan Doyle
and a pile of old school comic books

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Tales from Development Hell: Hollywood Filmmaking the Hard Way, by David Hughes.

Did you ever wonder what happened to that cool movie you heard rumors about but never happened? This books shows you how and why such things happen. Even wonder why in God's name they put X into movie Y? This book tells you how such things come to be.

So far, I've read about how the hottest script in Hollywood at one time never got made, the making of Total Recall and why there never was a sequel, the various ins and outs that led to the remake of Planet of the Apes, and some of the background to the filming of Lord of the Rings.

That last is so far my favorite. Apparently at one point Boorman (Excalibur) was all set to do LotR, back in 69-70 or so. He wanted four hot young stars to play the four hobbits. John, Paul, George and Ringo. Can you imagine how that would have turned out?

He has another book out that I want to track down called The Greatest Science Fiction Movies That Never Were Made.

Remove ads