• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So Why is 5E So Popular?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says. Note that this is just my opinion but I don't think I am to far wrong. By most accounts 5E has been a big hit and while some people might get a bit carried away with how popular it is out of the 7 D&D's it has probably outsold 4 of them being in 3rd place and it might be on track to beat the top 2. While we can't definitively say that it has not beaten them Mearls has been quite vocal about 5E beating say 3E and 2E in sales so I assume he would have said something it it beat 1E or BECMI.

So its a popular edition but why. Well I think the following reasons apply.

1. Its a genuinely good edition. Very simple reason 5E is not perfect by any means and there are some things in it I do not like but they are more annoyances than reasons that would go make me play something else. This means its basically a popular edition already. It has been 18 years since the last time D&D had a popular edition as 3.5 was less popular than 3.0 and well 4E happened.

2. Its simple. At least for a D&D edition there are a lot less moving parts with only the ASI's on most classes to worry about with spellcasters being a bit more complicated. When the 5E Warlock is about the most complicated class in the book its not that hard. 5E has seen an influx of newer players and less complicated/mass market generally sells more than hardcore stuff- think Tetris, Mario, G and PG movies vs R etc.

3. Deep Amazon/online discounts. Pathfinder for example used to be cheap as you got the PHB and DMG for less than both of those books individually compared with say 4E.. Xbox 360 was cheaper than the PS3 (and took huge market share vs previous generation), PS4 is cheaper than Xbox One. Price points are great for consumers and with recent sales of $20 you are getting the PHB at 1989 prices. If you are an American these are great prices, here in 1995 a PHB was $45 (31 USD approx), a 5E one is $75 (52 USD aprox). If I was american I would have more than 2 copies. One thing I have noticed over several groups is most players now have their own PHB vs the 2 maybe 3 a group would have in previous editions.

4. The rise of social media. Well twitter and Youtube are now a thing. These did not exist when 3.5 landed and were in their infancy when 4E landed. 5E is the 1st D&D that is popular to land when these have been mature mainstream technologies. Throw in facebook. In ye good ol days finding players may have been hard, now you can go to facebook and join a D&D group and let people know you want players.

5. Virtual able Tops (VTT's). These have been around in some form for a while but have become a lot more mainstream in recent years. Can't find a group to play? Live in a small town? Well go online and play. Also solve the decades long smelly player problem.

So that is basically it. Its easier and cheaper to play than ever, easier to promote the game than ever combined with a genuinely good edition that is popular to the extent we have not seen since 2000 if not the early 80's. Its a perfect storm of convergent technology, price, a good edition harnessed to the power of social media.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I would add also that it went back to its roots. It somehow managed to capture the traditional spirit of D&D with a more modern engine. I brought back a lot of people into the game who played in the 70s and 80s and now have more disposable income. I think it may be the only edition that effectively has done that. AND it has done this while at the same time attracking a new generation of young players who have embraced it through social media and turned it into a spectator sport / improve entertainment. The satanic panic is long gone but there is fear about video games and too much screen time is there. You actually have parents looking to get their kids into DnD for socialization and get them away from electronic media and more IRL interactions.

With these forces, a well playtested edition, and strong brand recognition, I think DnD is poised for a renaissance and 5e's success is only beginning.

Greg K

Legend
I am not sure why to be honest. On one level, I think that the base rules are the best of any edition until you reach the classes themselves (even if I would have preferred having a skill point variant as an option in the DMG and Dark Vision split into Dark Vision and Night Vision). It also has brand recognition and Hasbro behind it. However, once we get to classes , I am pretty disappointed with the design of several of them and even more disappointed with the majority of the subclasses. As a result, I find myself both wanting to tinker with the game while other times,wanting to throw my hands in the air and, for fantasy, go back to either a) running Savage Worlds, GURPS, or 3e (bringing back elements of 5e); b) try running Barbarians of Lemuria, Warrior Rogue & Mage, Earthdawn, Warhammer 1e,or Marvel Heroic; or c) investingg in the new Conan game.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I think the social media angle is key. That and brand recognition has helped 5e capture a larger audience.

When I was a kid (sometimes even now) I'll watch a sports game on television and then have the overwhelming urge to get outside and play. People who watch D&D 5e live streamed may respond the same way.

The advent of much better online tabletops like Fantasy Grounds and Roll d20 are also a precipitating factor. When I didn't have Fantasy Grounds, I used other more clunky platforms, or I just went long periods of time without playing at all. Now, it is so easy to play (as long as I can make the time, which is harder now a days). Since I can play more easily, I will buy more product with hopes of using it one day even if I never get to use it.

Raith5

Adventurer
All of these things are relevant - compared with other things it is good cheap social fun! I also think that 5e is a somewhat gentle game compared with previous editions if you play within the guidelines/with the published adventures. This allows a focus on the story and fun. And I think this really matters with new players and encourages further play. I remember playing 1e adventures back in the day where there were so many TPKs at low levels which did little to inspire new players.

I dont mean to say that 5e is inherently easy mode - sure experienced DMs can turn the dial up and alter the experience - but I think the default learning curve is somewhat forgiving.

fjw70

Adventurer
I this the OP explains it pretty well. Like I have said before 5e is the game I wanted to play when I played back in the 80s, I just didn’t know it. Before 5e, 4e and BX/1e were my favorite editions. 5e has replaced BX/1e as my co-favorite. It just works extremely well.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am not sure why to be honest. On one level, I think that the base rules are the best of any edition until you reach the classes themselves (even if I would have preferred having a skill point variant as an option in the DMG and Dark Vision split into Dark Vision and Night Vision). It also has brand recognition and Hasbro behind it. However, once we get to classes , I am pretty disappointed with the design of several of them and even more disappointed with the majority of the subclasses. As a result, I find myself both wanting to tinker with the game while other times,wanting to throw my hands in the air and, for fantasy, go back to either a) running Savage Worlds, GURPS, or 3e (bringing back elements of 5e); b) try running Barbarians of Lemuria, Warrior Rogue & Mage, Earthdawn, Warhammer 1e,or Marvel Heroic; or c) investingg in the new Conan game.

You could easily use the 5E engine to clone AD&D/B/X, 4E and 3.x and redo the classes.

Hell you could probably rewrite the classes and tweak the game if you were so inclined.

transtemporal

Explorer
I think 3 and 4 are huuuuuge. 3 people I've met randomly have said they've watched Acquisitions or Critical Role and would like to play a game. That's 2 more in the last year than all my social interactions for the past 30 years! Social media and the internet have done a lot to demystify and destigmatise it.

And there have been quite a few celebrities on shows like Stephen Colbert that have talked about playing, and for some reason people think if celebrities play it, then it must be ok.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I think that there’s also a good balance of the amount of product available. Many D&D stalwarts who were used to the avalanche of books in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions (and that continues with Pathfinder) have expressed either concern or exasperation at the slow release schedule. However, that makes 5th Edition far easier for new players to pick up and not feel that they’re behind on (or for players to join a group and not be competing with far fewer materials). It’s one of those lovely ironies of the supply-demand curve that having fewer products available to a new customer can often boost sales because it creates the image of being able to afford to buy the whole set in short order.

Remove ads