• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Song of Ice and Fire

Enforcer

Explorer
DuncanOToole said:
Dawn is actually not valyrian steel, if I recall correctly, it was forged from the inner metal of a fallen meteor, in westeros.
Really? That does sound familiar, but I just re-read books 1-3 to prepare for Feast of Crows and I don't think I came across that reference.

Could you point me to where you learned that info, please? Thanks!

Enforcer

Explorer
DuncanOToole said:
hmm I shall try and look or it, I think they mention it in A game of thrones.
Well, it seems you're right according to my AGoT Deluxe RPG. Still haven't found a reference in the novels though.

DuncanOToole

First Post
well I guess it is a pretty obscure thing to look for in a book not about him.
hmm I wonder if Dawn is actually a better sword than Valeryan steel or maybe it's just well a sword made from a meteor and nothing great... could be sword of the morning made it great not the blade perse.
of course it is more than 1000 years old if I remember correctly...

I'm getting the rpg tomorrow I hope, is it any good?

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey Duncan O'Toole! I have to say it's the best RPG I have ever run! Then I love the books & this game creates that atmosphere to the Tee! I'm running a campaign & after 6 sessions my group & I ARE HAVING A BLAST! Thanks Maester Luwin

I just finished the fourth book and am hoping for the RPG to hit my FLGS soon.

I really liked the fourth book. Certainly, it is a very different novel than the previous three but it's about time that Martin gave us a big picture book. Pound for pound I think Feast gives you more information on what's actually happening in the world as a whole than any one of the previous three books.

Which makes me very eager to have the RPG as I want to see how their write ups of the institutions that Feast spends so much more time on compare to the information in the new book.

Enforcer

Explorer
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Which makes me very eager to have the RPG as I want to see how their write ups of the institutions that Feast spends so much more time on compare to the information in the new book.
The RPG does focus primarily on the first novel (hence its title). So that means dead characters still have stats, certain crippled characters are whole, etc. As for whether it's good or not, while I haven't actually gotten to PLAY, I can say that the book is remarkably well-written, the art is fantastic, and I love how they've bended the d20 system to their will.

DuncanOToole

First Post
Maester Luwin said:
Hey Duncan O'Toole! I have to say it's the best RPG I have ever run! Then I love the books & this game creates that atmosphere to the Tee! I'm running a campaign & after 6 sessions my group & I ARE HAVING A BLAST! Thanks Maester Luwin

yeah dude I just got it, been skimming it, it seems great :D

hmm I can't find the stats for Valyrian steel :(

Nebulous

Legend
My deluxe edition should be arriving this week, although i had a look at my friend's d20 version. Very nice. Haven't read book 4 yet, but i've heard from most folks that it's not quite as good as the first three, and seeing how it doesn't have any of my fav characters, i can see why. But, i'll still read it and hope that Book 5 comes out fairly soon and picks back up with Jon and Tyrian and more Arya.

On a sidenote, what is the magic system like? Has anyone thought about tinkering with it to make a magic using class for viable, even though they're not really present in the novels much?

Skyman

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Certainly, it is a very different novel than the previous three but it's about time that Martin gave us a big picture book. Pound for pound I think Feast gives you more information on what's actually happening in the world as a whole than any one of the previous three books.
Very true. I'm not as big a fan of AFfC as a novel or character study as I am of the other three books. However, it definitely is very useful for someone who wants to explore Westeros more with the RPG. There's a lot of good info in there. And it's still a good story, just not quite Storm of Swords.

Remove ads