• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer Fix - Continued from "D&D Rules" (PART 4)

Mark Causey

Explorer
Maybe define the bonus they get based upon their Lineage? Or is that what you're trying to get away from, no selections other than the Lineage and spells?

Or maybe you could have variations on the Arcane Sight alone ...

Arcane Sight - as defined.
Arcane Touch - as Arcane Touch, but with Mage Hand,
Arcane Voice - as Arcane Touch, but with Ghost Sound,
Arcane Gaze - as Arcane Touch, but with Daze ...

Just some ideas off of the top of my head ....

AtR

Zoatebix

Working on it
On second thought - I think I agree with Coredump on this one.

Plus I forgot that one had to invest experience to make an item familiar more powerful - I thought more of the 2nd level power choices scaled with level.
-g

Khaalis

Adventurer
Ok - so we have some support for the idea of making the 2nd level power mutable. The difficulty is in what choices, and how many of such choices to give. I can agree with the Feats, as I too tend to feel they are a bit too generic, though they can add flavor if used correctly. For this tweak will drop the bonus feats. Also the more I think about it, I agree on the metamagic as well. Leave this ability to its appropriate Lineages otherwise it takes some of the uniqueness away from those lineages.

However, that doesn’t leave us with many options, only: Animal Companion, Arcane Sense, and Item Familiar. Is this enough? Should we come up with more options such as Arcane Channeling, Arcane Strike, etc.?

Sorcerer Ability: A sorcerer is not a defined term beyond that they share manipulation of arcane magic in common. Sorcerers can develop vastly different abilities from one another, usually as a reflection of their lineage, but other times it is a reflection of the sorcerer's upbringing and environmental influence. Sorcerers can fill many roles such as hedge wizards, fortune hunters, opportunists, charlatans, alchemists, demonologists, planar travelers, street wizards, investigators, adventurers, oracles and many other concepts as influenced by their surroundings. The varied abilities required by each different specialty are a reflection of the sorcerer’s specific culture and heritage. At 2nd level the sorcerer gains one option from the list below that reflects the type of sorcerer they are developing into.

Animal Companion (Ex): A sorcerer may use their presence and natural charm to gain an animal companion. This is a free-willed animal and acts in all respects as a druid's animal companion (see the Druid in the Player's Handbook.)

Arcane Sense (Sp): The sorcerer is so in tune with magic that they can feel magic flow through them as well as sense its presence and flow in all things around them as well. As a result of this deep attunement, at 2nd level, the sorcerer’s senses allow them to see as if using detect magic (as the spell) a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier. This spell-like ability is activated as a standard action that draws an attack of opportunity and requires full concentration for as many rounds as the sorcerer wishes to attain information (as the spell description).

Item Familiar: The sorcerer may choose to imbue an item with a part of thei magical essence and eventually have it mirror their personality, thus gaining the ability to create an item familiar, using the “Item Familiar" option from the Unearthed Arcana (p.170). Note that a sorcerer cannot have both a familiar and an item familiar unless they possess the Extra Familiar feat.

Thoughts & Discussion?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Summoned Companion

New ability option, a blend of the Animal Companion with the more magical variation of the paladin’s Special Mount.

Summoned Companion (Sp): Upon reaching 2nd level, a sorcerer may choose to gain the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal extra-planar animal to accompany and serve them on their adventures. This animal is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium sorcerer) or a warpony (for a Small sorcerer), a badger, camel, dire rat, dog (or riding dog), eagle, hawk, owl, snake (Medium viper) or wolf (or any other animal of no more than 2HD).

Once per day, as a full-round action, a sorcerer may magically call their companion from the extra-planar realm in which it resides. The companion immediately appears adjacent to the sorcerer and remains for 2 hours per sorcerer level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The companion is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the sorcerer may release a particular companion from service.

Each time the companion is summoned, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The companion also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Summoning a companion is a conjuration (summoning) effect.

Should the sorcerer’s companion die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The sorcerer may not summon another companion for thirty days or until they gain a sorcerer level, whichever comes first, even if the companion is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the sorcerer takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls. If a sorcerer releases their companion from service, they may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of meditation. This ceremony is also required to replace a companion that has perished.

At 2nd-level the sorcerer’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below. As the sorcerer advances in level, the companion’s power increases as shown on the table. A sorcerer of 4th level or higher may select from an alternative list of companions (see below). Should they select a companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character’s sorcerer level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the appropriate list header from the character’s sorcerer level and compare the result with the sorcerer level entry on the table to determine the companion’s powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the sorcerer’s effective level to 0 or lower, thet can’t have that creature as a companion.)

THE SORCERER’S SUMMONED COMPANION
The sorcerer’s companion is superior to a normal creature of its kind and has special powers, as described below. A sorcerer’s companion is treated as a magical beast for the purpose of all effects that depend on its type (though it retains HD, base attack bonus, saves, skill points, and feats by its natural type).

Sorcerer…….Bonus…..Natural…...Str/Dex………………Bonus
Level………...HD……....Armor……....ADJ…..…..INT…..Tricks……….Special

2-5……….........+0……….....+2…………......+1……….......4…….....1………......Empathic Link, Share Spell
6-8………….......+2……….....+4………….....+2……….......5………...2………......Evasion
9-11………….....+4……….....+6…………......+3……..….....6…….....3………......Devotion
12-14………......+6……….....+8………….....+4……..….....7………...4………......Multiattack
15-17………......+8………....+10……….......+5……..….....8………...5………......Improved Evasion
18-20……….....+10………...+12……….......+6……..….....9………...6………......Spell Resistance

Sorcerer’s Companion Basics: Use the base statistics for a creature of the companion’s kind, but make changes to take into account the attributes and characteristics summarized on the table and described below.

Bonus HD: Extra eight-sided (d8) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the companion’s base attack and base save bonuses. A summoned companion’s base attack bonus is equal to that of a cleric of a level equal to the companion’s HD. A companion has good Fortitude and Reflex saves (treat it as a character whose level equals the companion’s HD). The companion gains additional skill points or feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.

Natural Armor Adj.: The number on the table is an improvement to the companion’s existing natural armor bonus.

Str/Dex Adj.: Add this figure to the companion’s Strength and Dexterity scores.

Int: The companion’s Intelligence score.

Bonus Tricks: The value given in this column is the total number of “bonus” tricks that the companion knows in addition to any that the sorcerer might choose, or be able to teach it (see the Handle Animal skill). These bonus tricks don’t require any training time or Handle Animal checks, and they don’t count against the normal limit of tricks known by the companion. The sorcerer selects these bonus tricks, and once selected, they can’t be changed.

Devotion (Ex): A companion gains a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against enchantment spells and effects.

Empathic Link (Su): The sorcerer has an empathic link with their companion out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The sorcerer cannot see through the companion’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Note that even intelligent companions see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible. Because of this empathic link, the sorcerer has the same connection to an item or place that their companion does, just as with a master and familiar (see Familiars).

Evasion (Ex): If a companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.

Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a companion takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage if the saving throw fails.

Multiattack: A companion gains Multiattack as a bonus feat if it has three or more natural attacks and does not already have that feat. If it does not have the requisite three or more natural attacks, the companion instead gains a second attack with its primary natural weapon, albeit at a –5 penalty.

Share Spells: At the sorcerer’s option, they may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) they cast on themselves also affect their companion. The companion must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the companion if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect them again even if it returns to the sorcerer before the duration expires. Additionally, the sorcerer may cast a spell with a target of “You” on their companion (as a touch range spell) instead of on themselves. A sorcerer and their companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (magical beast).

Spell Resistance (Ex): A companion’s spell resistance equals its master’s sorcerer level + 5. To affect the companion with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the companion’s spell resistance.

ALTERNATIVE COMPANION EXAMPLES
A sorcerer of sufficiently high level can select their companion from one of the following lists, applying the indicated adjustment to the sorcerer’s level (in parentheses) for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities. Some variations such as Celestial, Fiendish and Elementals may require certain lineages, per DM approval.

5th Level or Higher (Level –3): Ape (animal); Bear, black (animal); Bison (animal); Boar (animal); Cheetah (animal); Crocodile (animal)*; Dire badger; Dire bat; Dire weasel; Leopard (animal); Lizard, monitor (animal); Lizard, shocker (animal); Shark, Large* (animal); Snake, constrictor (animal); Snake, Large viper (animal); Stirge; Wolverine (animal)
Anarchic, Celestial, Feral, Fiendish, Half-Elemental, Shadow-bound, or Warbeast templated version of base list companion

8th Level or Higher (Level –6): Bear, brown (animal); Dire wolverine; Crocodile, giant (animal); Deinonychus (dinosaur); Dire ape; Dire boar; Dire wolf; Elasmosaurus* (dinosaur); Lion (animal); Pseudodragon (dragon); Rhinoceros (animal); Snake, Huge viper (animal); Tiger (animal)
Anarchic, Celestial, Feral, Fiendish, Half-Elemental, Shadow-bound, or Warbeast templated version of 5th Level (Level-3) list companion

11th Level or Higher (Level –9): Bear, polar (animal); Dire lion; Megaraptor (dinosaur); Shark, Huge* (animal); Snake, giant constrictor (animal); Whale, orca* (animal)
Anarchic, Celestial, Feral, Fiendish, Half-Elemental, Shadow-bound, or
Warbeast templated version of 8th Level (Level-6) list companion

14th Level or Higher (Level –12): Dire bear; Elephant (animal); Octopus, giant* (animal)
Anarchic, Celestial, Feral, Fiendish, Half-Elemental, Shadow-bound, or Warbeast templated version of 11th Level (Level-9) list companion

17th Level or Higher (Level –15): Dire shark*; Dire tiger; Squid, giant* (animal); Triceratops (dinosaur); Tyrannosaurus (dinosaur)
Anarchic, Celestial, Feral, Fiendish, Half-Elemental, Shadow-bound, or Warbeast templated version of 14th Level (Level-12) list companion

(*) Available only in an aquatic environment.

Thoughts/Comments?

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hmm :)
first old business -
Why the decision to use druid animal companion instead of ranger?
is aura sight really that powerful?
- bother - the obvious reason is that Ranger companions suck.
I really hate peekaboo pals - and immedatily changed the paladin's back to 3.0

Comments after Dming a weakened version of the Child of Nature Lineage
- most of his powers are going to waste. He has sworn off the summoning spells, never used animal empathy and is only planning on leaning barkskin from the new lists. Is this his problem or mine?
I moved woodland stride and trackless step to 8th, but he would benifit from these immensily, I have lots of outdoor fights and he uses Barbie speed to full advantage. adjusting this would be the easiest fix.

- The concept is a barbarian ancestor/spirit worshiper so logically he should get speak w/dead.
Would it be better just to add this to spell lists avaliable to learn, Lineage list, require research or just disallow?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments and input. To address your comments…

Evilhalfling said:
hmm :)
first old business -
Why the decision to use druid animal companion instead of ranger?
is aura sight really that powerful?
- bother - the obvious reason is that Ranger companions suck.
I really hate peekaboo pals - and immedatily changed the paladin's back to 3.0

I chose to use the druid companion version as a base because they are better than the Ranger, as Rangers only use ½ their level to determine the power of their companion. The balance factor to prevent the sorcerer’s companion from overshadowing the druid’s is the fact that the druid can have more than one companion (many more due to Animal Friendship) and the druid’s never go away, unlike a sorcerer’s.

As for Pokemount – I agree that it is not fitting for the Paladin, but for a sorcerer … the ability to “summon” a companion makes much more sense and is a mechanic that could find a home with the sorcerer class – unlike the paladin whom isn’t supposed to be a highly magical class.

Arcane Sense is actually weaker than I had originally wanted, and I am still not sure that it is all that great a boon – especially compared to the benefit that could be gained from something like a familiar which if used correctly are actually quite a powerful addition to a character. At the very least IMHO Arcane Sense should have been an at-will ability, but too many people said that it was too powerful to allow Detect Magic at will.

Comments after Dming a weakened version of the Child of Nature Lineage
- most of his powers are going to waste. He has sworn off the summoning spells, never used animal empathy and is only planning on leaning barkskin from the new lists. Is this his problem or mine?
I moved woodland stride and trackless step to 8th, but he would benifit from these immensily, I have lots of outdoor fights and he uses Barbie speed to full advantage. adjusting this would be the easiest fix.

- The concept is a barbarian ancestor/spirit worshiper so logically he should get speak w/dead.
Would it be better just to add this to spell lists avaliable to learn, Lineage list, require research or just disallow?

Ok. I am a little confused and could use some clarification. Basically you are saying you made an alternate version of the Child of Nature?
• If you swore off the Summoning spells – what is the Lineage Spell list? Why sworn off the summoning spells?
• Not sure where animal empathy comes in (that’s 3.0) and its not part of the lineage.
• Granted that the Druid spell list isn’t the best, but wanting to learn only Barkskin goes to prove that offering the entire list is not unbalanced as some thought it would be. It does offer many good spells – depending on the kind of character you are trying to build.
• If you moved Stride and Step to 8th – what did you give at 1st?
• What did you do with the Wild Shape? Remove it from 8th but leave at higher levels?

If you just want to manipulate the Nature Sorcerer, I would put the level abilities back where they were, and simply change the spell list. (Maybe use the one below that is more reflective of a shaman.)

Now if you are asking for a barbarian culture Spirit Shaman lineage, I think it would be quite different from the Child of Nature lineage. This is what I would see working well (1st draft).

ANCESTOR SPIRIT SHAMAN LINEAGE: The ancestor spirit shaman sorcerer is the descendant of a long line of shamans and holds a strong tie to those ancestors. This is similar to a Magical Family lineage but from a more savage culture. This lineage is powerful and directly links the sorcerer to the forces of their own ancestry.

Benefit: Ancestor spirit shaman sorcerers gain Listen and Survival as class skills. Their link to their ancestor spirits allow them to speak with those spirits to gleam information about the future. This acts as an augury (as the spell), a spell-like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to 3+ the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier. However, unlike other spell-like abilities, this augury still requires the use of a fortune telling medium such as bones, runes, arcane bonfire, blood etc. (but only worth 5gp) but does not require the use of incense. Ancestor shaman sorcerers may learn any spell of the Divination designator regardless of the spell list from which it comes as well as any spell that directly harms undead or incorporeal creatures.

Special Limitation: Ancestor shaman sorcerers have an innate connection to their ancestors and their culture and thus are influenced by the cultures more wild tendencies and thus they may not be of a lawful alignment and are illiterate like others of their culture, though they may spend 2 skill points at any time to become literate. They may also never learn any spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability with the Lawful designator nor that creates or controls undead. The ancestor shaman sorcerer cannot use spell completion or spell trigger items that activate banned spells, as they just do not work for the sorcerer. Due to their strong affinity to magic of the spirit world, they are left with a natural weakness toward magic of necromantic origin, receiving a –2 penalty to all saving throws against any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability of the necromancy school or used by creatures of the undead type. An ancestor shaman sorcerer who becomes of any lawful alignment or learns a prohibited spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability may no longer gain levels as a sorcerer as well as loses all sorcerer lineage abilities (including lineage bonus known spells and spell-like abilities, but not including weapon proficiencies and normal spells known), until they atone (see the atonement spell description). Also, like a member of any other class, an ancestor shaman sorcerer may be a multiclass character, but they face a special restriction. An ancestor shaman sorcerer who gains a new class or template that involves racial or bloodline or heredity related abilities that are not specifically spirit oriented (for example Half-Dragon), may never again raise their sorcerer level and loses all sorcerer lineage abilities (including their bonus spells known and lineage based spell-like abilities, but not including weapon proficiencies and standard spells known).

Lineage Spells: The sorcerer has a specific affinity with their ancestor spirits and the magic they wield that manifests in a Lineage Spell List. These lineage spells may never be changed through spell swapping or spell evolution, but only through Innate Ability evolution. These lineage spells are gained as bonus known spells as soon as the sorcerer is able to cast spells of that spell level. The sorcerer gains the Ancestor Spirit Shaman Lineage spell list.
Ancestor Spirit Shaman Lineage Spell List: 0–know direction; 1st-sanctuary; 2nd- shield other; 3rd- speak with dead; 4th- divine power; 5th- commune; 6th- geas/quest; 7th- ethereal jaunt; 8th- word of recall; 9th- shades

Lineage Abilities: The ancestor shaman sorcerer’s connection with their ancestor spirits grows over time and they become more attune to the force of the spirit world.
……….At 8th level the abcestor shaman sorcerer gains the ability to sense spirits, incorporeal and invisible creatures within 60’ which also reduces miss chances on incorporeal and invisible creatures by 25%. They may also imbue themselves or others with the power of their ancestor spirits, enhancing any one ability score (per use of the ability) as if casting a 2nd level ability score enhancement spell such as bull’s strength. The sorcerer need not know the specific spell to duplicate its effects. The enhancement lasts 1 hour/sorcerer level. This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier.
……….At 14th level the ancestor shaman sorcerer gains the ability to summon an ancestral spirit from the astral plane that takes the form of a shadow, an undead shade. Unlike a normal shadow, this shadow spirit’s alignment matches that of the sorcerer, and the creature cannot create spawn. The summoned shadow spirit cannot be turned, rebuked, or commanded by any third party. This shadow spirit serves as a companion to the sorcerer and can communicate intelligibly with the sorcerer. Every third level gained by the sorcerer adds +2 HD (and the requisite base attack and base save bonus increases) to their shadow spirit companion. If a shadow spirit companion is destroyed, or the sorcerer chooses to dismiss it, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude save. If the saving throw fails, the sorcerer loses 200 experience points per sorcerer level. A successful saving throw reduces the loss by half, to 100 XP per sorcerer class level. The sorcerer’s XP total can never go below 0 as the result of a shadow spirit’s dismissal or destruction. A destroyed or dismissed shadow spirit companion cannot be replaced for 30 days.
……….At 20th level, an ancestor shaman sorcerer becomes so attune to their lineage that they gain the outsider type as well as the augmented and native subtypes. The sorcerer undergoes no outward physical transformation however. They are forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the sorcerer’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the ancestor shaman sorcerer gains the following benefits.
• Darkvision out to 60’.
• An ancestor shaman sorcerer with the leadership feat, may acquire a ghost as a special cohort (with the appropriate level modified by the +5 ECL of the ghost template). This ghost is an ancestor spirit that has chosen to travel with the shaman and aid them in their endeavors. Unlike a normal ghost, this ghost’s alignment matches that of the sorcerer. The ancestor spirit cannot be turned, rebuked, or commanded by any third party. This ghost serves as a companion to the sorcerer and can communicate intelligibly with the sorcerer. If a ghost ancestral spirit is destroyed, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 20 Fortitude save. If the saving throw fails, the sorcerer loses 400 experience points per sorcerer level. A successful saving throw reduces the loss by half, to 200 XP per sorcerer class level. The sorcerer’s XP total can never go below 0 as the result of a ghost spirit’s destruction. A destroyed ghost spirit cannot be replaced for 1 year.
• Gain Damage Reduction (Su): Grants damage reduction 5/-, which allows them to ignore the first 5 points of damage from any attack made by a weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction.
• Gain Spell Resistance (Ex): This grants spell resistance of 30.
Unlike other outsiders, the sorcerer can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Also unlike other outsiders, native outsiders still need to eat and sleep.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I modified the orginal concept, I was the one objecting to the CoN spell lists. This is what I was using -
Sprit Lineage Spell List : 0–know direction; 1st-Summon Nature’s Allay I; 2nd-Speak w/ animal; 3rd Summon Nature’s Ally III; 4th-BestowCurse; 5th- Summon Nature’s Ally V; 6th-Geas ; 7th- Summon Nature’s AllyVII; 8th-Stone Tell, 9th – Elemental Swarm

Lineage Abilities: The sorcerer’s affinity with their spirit lineage grows over time
……At 2nd level Spirit sorcerers gain animal empathy as a druid or ranger
…...At 5th level the sorcerer can cast their lineage spell as a spell-like ability a number of times equal to their CHR bonus per day. They loose the spell from known spells.
…..At 8th level the sorcerer gains woodland stride, and trackless step
…..At 11th level the sorcerers spell like ability is replaces by the 2nd lvl lineage spell
…..At 14th level the sorcerer can use wild shape three per day as a druid ½ their level. .

Spirit sorcerers gain survival, and heal as class skills. They cast lineage abilities at +1 caster level. They can learn any spell from the animal or plant clerical domains as a known spell. Lineage spells are gained as bonus known spells as soon as the sorcerer is able to cast spells of that spell level.
But I like your new Ideas :)

I don't want to change the class to much from under the PC - but he is a powergamer so I am sure that any changes that result in more power will be accepted.

Lets see I like the augury.
as "the price of seeking knowledge" is the theme of this campaign
so I may feel evil enough to require a personal sacrifice in hit pts = caster level in blood loss perhaps? to fuel this power. (I realize this is only appropriate for this campagin) This can be added via quest as well -

See invisble and Buffing? not sure if both are appropriate and certainly tone the buff down to the houserule duration of existing spells i.e. 10min per level.

Adding all divinations to spell list is a great idea - it fixes my speak w/dead problem, improves the paltry lists I gave him (not wanting healing as druid)

I like new Limitations they fit better then CoN *Yoink*
The Wildshape at 14th makes more sense to me then the anchestor spirit - as he is closely linked to both Bear and Stag spirits - one by birth the other by vison quest.
I can move trackless step back to 2nd, but woodland stride is a huge change
I think i will keep it at 8th and use either buff or See Inv.
Did I mention this thread convinced me to quit lurking :)

Khaalis

Adventurer
Evilhalfling said:
I modified the orginal concept, I was the one objecting to the CoN spell lists.
To each there own – and exactly why I wanted a templated class structure so it would be easy to do such modifications to personal taste and campaign style. :)

This is what I was using -
Sprit Lineage Spell List : 0–know direction; 1st-Summon Nature’s Allay I; 2nd-Speak w/ animal; 3rd Summon Nature’s Ally III; 4th-BestowCurse; 5th- Summon Nature’s Ally V; 6th-Geas ; 7th- Summon Nature’s AllyVII; 8th-Stone Tell, 9th – Elemental Swarm

This is … odd? It seems, when mixed with the Plant/Animal Domain access to be more of a Totem Spirit concept rather than an Ancestor Spirit concept? Why Bestow Curse?
Also, if they have sworn off the Summon Ally spells, I would suggest the following to balance it out and make it more fair and related to the concept but keep some of the original flair you had to the list. This is assuming you are going for a more “Nature Totem” Spirit feel.

Sprit Lineage Spell List: 0–know direction; 1st-speak with animals; 2nd-barkskin; 3rd-speak with dead; 4th-bestow curse; 5th-(See Below); 6th-geas; 7th-(See Below); 8th-stone tell; 9th–elemental swarm

5th: Lots of options here depending on the style of game.
I am not sure what to place here since you mention knowledge spells are pricey, but yet you give Stone Tell, Speak with Dead etc. so if you feel beneficent and want to go with the divination line add Commune with Nature. Otherwise I would choose Baleful Polymorph for a combat oriented spell, Stoneskin for a defensive spell or Tree Stride as a utility spell.

7th: The same deal as with 5th level. If you want to follow the divination path then grant Greater Scrying or True Seeing. If not , then either Fire Storm or Changestaff as a combat spell, Wind Walk as a utility spell.

Just some thoughts…

……At 2nd level Spirit sorcerers gain animal empathy as a druid or ranger
I assume you are using 3.0 – but I would still drop the Animal Empathy thing if it is not being utilized in the campaign. You could replace this with the Augury ability (see my comments on that below).

Lets see I like the augury. as "the price of seeking knowledge" is the theme of this campaign
so I may feel evil enough to require a personal sacrifice in hit pts = caster level in blood loss perhaps? to fuel this power. (I realize this is only appropriate for this campagin) This can be added via quest as well.
You could do this as a quick change of fluff and mech for the ability. Remove reference to the bonfire, bones, etc. and make it a blood sacrifice spell. Requires the expenditure of HP (I would say roughly 1d4 hp?) per use instead of the gold cost.

See invisble and Buffing? not sure if both are appropriate and certainly tone the buff down to the houserule duration of existing spells i.e. 10min per level.
Is this a general comment or in regards to your Spirit version? The Sense Invisibility comes as apart of the Sense Incorporeal – since incorporeal creatures are invisible. It also isn’t true “See Invisible” as it does not negate the invisibility miss chance, it only decreases the penalty by 25% to 75% from 100%.

As for the Buff duration – I am not sure. I personally am in the camp of “It wasn’t broken”. The spells are really not of any use to cast if they are short duration, and no sorcerer in his right mind would ever learn them and waste those precious slots – even at 10min/level. As for appropriate – I think that the buff spells are very fitting to the kind of shaman I described, but only moderately for the type you describe. I will have to think on the duration.

Adding all divinations to spell list is a great idea - it fixes my speak w/dead problem, improves the paltry lists I gave him (not wanting healing as druid).
This was my initial difficulty with the list. The healing cross-over is the difficult part. Most of the Decent druid spells fall outside the Animal/Plant spheres. However they come from too many descriptors and schools to list them. You “Could” get a druid feel without healing by granting access to all Animal, Plant, Divination and Elemental descriptor spells. You still lose a few good ones like Changestaff, Control Weather, etc. but its as close as you can get without granting the whole list (or saying the Druid list “except” healing spells).

I like new Limitations they fit better then CoN *Yoink*
Yes this is a key area that is very different from a Shaman concept to a Druid concept.

The Wildshape at 14th makes more sense to me then the anchestor spirit - as he is closely linked to both Bear and Stag spirits - one by birth the other by vison quest. I can move trackless step back to 2nd, but woodland stride is a huge change
I think i will keep it at 8th and use either buff or See Inv.
That works as well. I was under the impression from the original post it was more an ancestor spirit, thus the one I wrote up. However the totem spirit is different and I agree that the wild shape works better.

Did I mention this thread convinced me to quit lurking :)
Welcome to the boards! :)

Ok so overall we have something similar to this for your lineage.

TOTEM SPIRIT SHAMAN LINEAGE: The totem spirit shaman sorcerer is one with a deep connection to nature and to the animal and nature totem spirits. This lineage links them to the powers of the nature spirits, imbuing them with powers more linked to nature than most other sorcerer.

Benefit: Totem spirit shaman sorcerers gain Heal and Survival as class skills. Their link to their ancestor spirits allow them to speak with those spirits to gleam information about the future. This acts as an augury (as the spell), a spell-like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to 3+ the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier. However, unlike other spell-like abilities, this augury still requires the use of a fortune telling medium such as bones, runes, arcane bonfire, blood etc. (but only worth 5gp) but does not require the use of incense. Totem sorcerers, like nature and animal spirits, do not leave trails and cannot be tracked in any terrain, unless they choose to leave a trail. Totem sorcerers may learn any spell of the Divination, Animal or Plant designator regardless of the spell list from which it comes.

Special Limitation: Totem sorcerers have an innate connection to their ancestors and their culture and thus are influenced by the cultures more wild tendencies and thus they may not be of a lawful alignment and are illiterate like others of their culture, though they may spend 2 skill points at any time to become literate. They may also never learn any spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability with the Lawful designator nor that creates or controls undead. The totem sorcerer cannot use spell completion or spell trigger items that activate banned spells, as they just do not work for the sorcerer. Due to their strong affinity to magic of the spirit world, they are left with a natural weakness toward magic of necromantic origin, receiving a –2 penalty to all saving throws against any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability of the necromancy school or used by creatures of the undead type. A totem sorcerer who becomes of any lawful alignment or learns a prohibited spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability may no longer gain levels as a sorcerer as well as loses all sorcerer lineage abilities (including lineage bonus known spells and spell-like abilities, but not including weapon proficiencies and normal spells known), until they atone (see the atonement spell description). Also, like a member of any other class, a totem sorcerer may be a multiclass character, but they face a special restriction. A totem sorcerer who gains a new class or template that involves racial or bloodline or heredity related abilities that are not specifically spirit oriented (for example Half-Dragon), may never again raise their sorcerer level and loses all sorcerer lineage abilities (including their bonus spells known and lineage based spell-like abilities, but not including weapon proficiencies and standard spells known).

Lineage Spells: The sorcerer has a specific affinity with their ancestor spirits and the magic they wield that manifests in a Lineage Spell List. These lineage spells may never be changed through spell swapping or spell evolution, but only through Innate Ability evolution. These lineage spells are gained as bonus known spells as soon as the sorcerer is able to cast spells of that spell level. The sorcerer gains the Totem Spirit Shaman Lineage spell list.
Totem Spirit Shaman Lineage Spell List: 0–know direction; 1st-speak with animals; 2nd-barkskin; 3rd-speak with dead; 4th-bestow curse; 5th-commune with nature; 6th-geas/quest; 7th-scrying, greater; 8th-stone tell; 9th–elemental swarm

Lineage Abilities: The totem sorcerer’s connection with their ancestor spirits grows over time and they become more attune to the force of the spirit world.
……….At 8th level the totem sorcerer gains the ability to imbue themselves or others with the power of their totem spirits, enhancing any one ability score (per use of the ability) as if casting the 2nd level ability score enhancement spell bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fox’s cunning or owl’s wisdom. The sorcerer need not know the specific spell to duplicate its effects. The enhancement lasts 10 minutes per sorcerer level. This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier.
………. At 14th level the totem sorcerer gains the ability to Wild Shape into an animal form (and back again) a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier. This ability acts exactly as the druid’s Wild Shape ability, except that the sorcerer is considered a druid of half their sorcerer level for determining the shapes they may assume.
……….At 20th level, a totem sorcerer becomes so attune to their lineage that they gain the outsider type as well as the augmented and native subtypes. The sorcerer undergoes no outward physical transformation however. They are forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the sorcerer’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the totem sorcerer gains the following benefits.
• Darkvision out to 60’.
• Gain Damage Reduction (Su): Grants damage reduction 5/-, which allows them to ignore the first 5 points of damage from any attack made by a weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction.
• Gain Spell Resistance (Ex): This grants spell resistance of 30.
Unlike other outsiders, the sorcerer can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Also unlike other outsiders, native outsiders still need to eat and sleep.

Thoughts?

Khaalis

Adventurer
On Arcane Sense

Since it seems that Arcane sense it not such an attractive ability, as is. What about the following suggestion? This will give the ability growth with the character in that the effect grows in power with the power level of the character/campaign, but is still restricted to the same number of uses.

Arcane Sense (Sp): The sorcerer is so in tune with magic that they can feel magic flow through them as well as sense its presence and flow in all things around them as well. As a result of this deep attunement, at 2nd level, the sorcerer’s senses allow them to see as if using detect magic (as the spell) a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier. This spell-like ability is activated as a standard action that draws an attack of opportunity and requires full concentration for as many rounds as the sorcerer wishes to attain information (as the spell description). At 10th level the sorcerer's Arcane Sense spell-like ability improves from acting as a detect magic spell to acting as an arcane sight spell and at 18th level improves from acting as an arcane sightspell to acting as a greater arcane sight spell.

Thoughts? Would this be equivalent to a Summon Companion choice or an Item Familiar? If not - would 3+ChaMod or "At will" uses make it balanced?

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
Update

Update on the dowload link will happen (hopefully) by Noon EST 4/29. See the 1st post of the thread for details. If this does not happen on schedule I will post when it is complete.

Remove ads