Star Trek: Beyond (trailer)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Paraphrasing what I wrote elsewhere: I'm okay with Extreme Sports Motocross Kirk. But that sets a tone you're gonna have to commit to.

(Honestly, this isn't the 50th anniversary Trek I was hoping to see. But Pegg & Lin are talented & the rest of the cast is charming, so maybe it'll be watchable at least)

Yeah. And I just don't think the high-action thing is really all that Trek-ish. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course.

It may be simple - and those who know Pegg's writing can confirm if this is likely - the whole "Enterprise gets beat to crap" may be a device to get our bridge crew out of the Big Ship, and into a smaller, more intimate environment where you'll get more character in the interactions, instead of so much Star Fleet procedure...

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Looks like a trailer to me. Built to draw in as big of a crowd as possible. So I am not surprised that it doesn't look like the old school Star Trek.

They want to sell seats not necessarily hold true to the original feel of the series and its accompanying movies.

While I totally agree that the ship being in peril and wrecked up is getting old, I am still interested in the differences they are making from the 'original' time line and this one.

Mallus

Legend
And I just don't think the high-action thing is really all that Trek-ish. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course.
It's not, but I've resigned myself to the fact that any new Trek film is going to be, at least in part, as a "sci-fi action blockbuster". Otherwise it wouldn't get made. I'm thankful there aren't any cloned dinosaurs in the leaked trailer.

It may be simple - and those who know Pegg's writing can confirm if this is likely - the whole "Enterprise gets beat to crap" may be a device to get our bridge crew out of the Big Ship, and into a smaller, more intimate environment where you'll get more character in the interactions, instead of so much Star Fleet procedure...
That's a great point. Pegg's strength is using genre tropes as foils, as ways of telling what are at heart small, intimate character pieces. It's like he's still doing "Spaced", except the nerdy references are now real.

edit: come to think of it, Pegg's more than a little like Steven Moffat in this regard.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's a great point. Pegg's strength is using genre tropes as foils, as ways of telling what are at heart small, intimate character pieces. It's like he's still doing "Spaced", except the nerdy references are now real.

Pegg has criticized the trailer

Pegg said:
It was very action-packed. I didn’t… Yeah. It was surprising. I find it to be kind of the marketing people saying, “Everybody come and see this film, it’s full of action and fun,” when there’s a lot more to it than that. I didn’t love it because I know there’s a lot more to the film. There’s a lot more story and a lot more character stuff, and a lot more what I would call Star Trek stuff. But you know, they’ve got to bring a big audience in. They’ve got to bang the drum. To the Star Trek fans, I’d say be patient.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It not like I won't go see it. I wasn't a great fan of Into Darkness, but it wasn't so crappy as to make me thing the next once couldn't be better.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oddly, Pegg's mission briefing when he was brought on to work on the (existing) script was to make it funnier and "less Star Trekky". Whatever that means.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oddly, Pegg's mission briefing when he was brought on to work on the (existing) script was to make it funnier and "less Star Trekky". Whatever that means.

Yeah, but, whatever else I think about him, I think he's got more savvy than many studio suits. He can make it less Trekky in the sense the suits mean, while still actually making it more Trek in other ways.

As an example, the Kirk - Spock - Bones dynamic is actually pretty important to ToS. It has largely been missing in the movies, but might be right up Pegg's alley.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yeah. And I just don't think the high-action thing is really all that Trek-ish. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course.

I think the high high-action thing isn't really Star Trek, at least not as the various series go, but it is very Starfleet. My general understanding has always been that Starfleet is supposed to take only the best. When exposed to an action-intense scenario, I don't see any reason why at least some of them wouldn't default to an action-hero type of character. With Kirk's audacity and general disregard for the rules, I think him being more of an action-hero makes some sense.

It's definitely not the deep, thought-provoking Trek that we're used to, but I'm okay with it. I would just hope that the franchise makes room for both action-adventure Trek films and introspective sci-fi Trek films.

Remove ads