Star Trek: Beyond (trailer)

I think the high high-action thing isn't really Star Trek, at least not as the various series go, but it is very Starfleet. My general understanding has always been that Starfleet is supposed to take only the best. When exposed to an action-intense scenario, I don't see any reason why at least some of them wouldn't default to an action-hero type of character. With Kirk's audacity and general disregard for the rules, I think him being more of an action-hero makes some sense.

It's definitely not the deep, thought-provoking Trek that we're used to, but I'm okay with it. I would just hope that the franchise makes room for both action-adventure Trek films and introspective sci-fi Trek films.

I am not convinced that Star Trek movies were ever as deep and thought-provoking as people make them out to be. The fan favorite often seems to be Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, and that's a pretty simple revenge story with some heavy sci-fi gimmicks in the mix.

My favorites might have been more IV and VI (from the originals cast) and VIII (from the new ones).

I'd say Undiscovered Country had some depths in trying to discuss people feeling "old" and no longer fit for the changes in the world, and a neat parable to the end of the COld War - but was that deeper than Kirk and Spock debating whether they can just play judge and executor (all while risking a war with the Klingon Empire), or whether one should provoke a war between two nations just because one considers it inevitable?

Mallus

Legend
I am not convinced that Star Trek movies were ever as deep and thought-provoking as people make them out to be. The fan favorite often seems to be Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, and that's a pretty simple revenge story with some heavy sci-fi gimmicks in the mix.
The Wrath of Khan is the kind of mash-up that that works really well in the sci-fi idiom; it's kinda Moby Dick in space where the White Whale is having a late mid-life crisis and the captain of the Pequod has stolen a doomsday weapon. Honestly, it's Kirk's response to aging that gives the film it's, ahem, weight. There's a good, solid character-driven drama at the core, all dolled up with spaces battles and Montalban's gloriously hammy-but-dignified acting.

Then the next one is a powerful story of friendship told as a pulp scifi caper movie version of Gilgamesh. Featuring the tragic death of another beloved character. Who happens to be a spaceship.

Ryujin

Legend
The Wrath of Khan is the kind of mash-up that that works really well in the sci-fi idiom; it's kinda Moby Dick in space where the White Whale is having a late mid-life crisis and the captain of the Pequod has stolen a doomsday weapon. Honestly, it's Kirk's response to aging that gives the film it's, ahem, weight. There's a good, solid character-driven drama at the core, all dolled up with spaces battles and Montalban's gloriously hammy-but-dignified acting.

Then the next one is a powerful story of friendship told as a pulp scifi caper movie version of Gilgamesh. Featuring the tragic death of another beloved character. Who happens to be a spaceship.

You've got a pretty good analogy there,with "The Gilgamesh", but "Wrath of Khan" was the death of Enkidu (Spock), while "The Search for Spock" was the quest for eternal life. Khan was "The Bull of Heaven."

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Well I thought the first film was OK and could accept it as Star Trek for the generation after mine ... Really felt uncomfortable with the second one (how many times do you have to rely on "old" Spock to bail you out?) and the trailer for this one has left me cold. I may go and see it but there no real draw to it and I've always been a fan of TOS and their films ...

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit I'm not too enthusiastic about this as a Trek movie. But I can see why they are doing it this way. The old trek movies didn't exactly take the box office world by storm. They were mediocre money makers at best.

If you're going to make a summer tent pole Trek movie, you really can't bank on classic Trek tropes which have never brought in the bums in the seats.

Remove ads