Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Series - Who's Watching?

Steel_Wind

Legend
I did not see the movie in the theatres. I must say that the reviews of that movie I read here and elsewhere on the Net persuaded me that the whole idea was probably not that good.

I have therefore avoided the animated series on tv so far.

That said, I admit that a few days ago, at the request of my young son, I downloaded the 5 episodes out so far on the Net and watched em, back to back.

My reaction? Well it's not live action Star Wars - but it's not lame "Droids" either. For the most part, I must admit that I was rather impressed.

The animation style, using Maya and global illumination, is quite inspired and looks great. The writing, especially for an animated series, is actually pretty decent. Production values were quite high. Voice acting is actually pretty damned good and the characters sound like they should. Perhaps not spot on - but close enough to rock n roll.

Verdict: this is a decent show. Not great, but decent enough. It has enough Star Wars in it to be Star Wars. It's worth watching.

Last edited:

Elodan

Adventurer
I like the show a lot.

I get a kick out of the opening where the voice over gives a summary of the current situation as it reminds me of the stuff you'd see on the news reel films before the movies (during the WWII period); the "good evening Mr & Mrs America and all the ships at sea" stuff.

I only wish they used more of the Star Wars soundtrack during the show.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I like the show a lot.

I get a kick out of the opening where the voice over gives a summary of the current situation as it reminds me of the stuff you'd see on the news reel films before the movies (during the WWII period); the "good evening Mr & Mrs America and all the ships at sea" stuff.

I only wish they used more of the Star Wars soundtrack during the show.

Yeah. The voice over at the beginning is defnitely channeling the old NBC 70's drama Cliffhangers or, if you prefer, Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers' voice overs in a light hearted way.

For a show that mostly takes itself seriously, the voice-over intro is a clear nod to NOT taking it seriously.

The music is pretty good though. Far beyond most animated fare and even beyond most 1H drama - which is saying something.

As for sound effects generally, it's ILM: top rate, take no prisoners stuff. It matches up well against any other show on TV, bar none in that department.

Sound has always been something Lucas does better than anybody else. The reputation is both deserved - and upheld in the series.

Darth Shoju

First Post
I've been watching it and enjoying it. I actually think the episodes I've seen so far have been better than the animated movie (took my son to see it, wasn't thrilled). The plots for the episodes have been good and I find the animation style looks much better on the small screen; the big screen really made the backgrounds look flat and highlighted the stiffness of some of the animation.

Good stuff overall, though.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I've been watching it and enjoying it. I actually think the episodes I've seen so far have been better than the animated movie (took my son to see it, wasn't thrilled). The plots for the episodes have been good and I find the animation style looks much better on the small screen; the big screen really made the backgrounds look flat and highlighted the stiffness of some of the animation.

Good stuff overall, though.

Yeah. I wasn't a real fan of the first episode, mind you. The first one was ... "ok". It definitely picks up after the first episode though.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Yeah. I wasn't a real fan of the first episode, mind you. The first one was ... "ok". It definitely picks up after the first episode though.

I thought it wasn't too bad. This doesn't sound promising, though:

8. Season 1, Ep 8: Bombad Jedi
Jar Jar Binks and C-3PO fight to save Padme Amidala from doom at the hands of evil Viceroy Nute Gunray.

(from www.tv.com )

That's pretty much all the most annoying characters (outside of Annakin) in one episode. :p

(I actually don't mind 3PO, but still...)

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
They had a nice arc revolving around a Confed super-weapon, the Malevolence, with Y-Wing looking bombers trying to take it out.

I think it looks better on the TV than it did on the big screen; the animation's not that expensive, so it looks odd when it's bigger. But I was pleasantly surprised by the film.

Brad

Dioltach

Legend
Is this the same series that appeared on DVD a few years ago? Short 6-minute episodes in the first series, and slightly longer (I believe 12-minute) episodes in the second series, with a more coherent storyline? If so, I have to say I really enjoyed them both.

Remove ads