• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stubborn

How stubborn is your group about trying a new game?

• We try new games all the time!

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • We try new games once in a while.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • We're not against the idea, but don't to it much.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • My group doesn't like trying new games.

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • My group refuses to play a new game EVER.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Argyle King

Legend
It's been my experience that the stubborn guy refusing to play has a tendency to change his mind when his choices are to join in what the group is doing or to not play at all. RPGs are social by nature. I like everyone else have my preferences, and some of those preferences are things I feel very strongly about. That being said, I would never expect my interests (or disinterests) to hold the rest of the group hostage. I'm all for trying to compromise in a way that includes everyone, but compromise is something that requires both sides coming together to find a common ground; not one side flatly refusing to do anything.

Over the last 2 years, the group I game with most often has gone from being solely D&D to D&D campaigns currently being the minority. We now have a regular rotation of Pathfinder, GURPS 4th Edition, Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, and days when we play games which aren't rpgs. The main game day is Saturdays, and that is usually when Pathfinder (or D&D 4th Edition if/when it comes back around) is played; GURPS has currently taken over Wednesdays -which is the other day we usually meet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's been my experience that the stubborn guy refusing to play has a tendency to change his mind when his choices are to join in what the group is doing or to not play at all.

Your compadres are not as stubborn as mine. There are guys in this group I haven't seen on game night since the new guy started the 4Ed campaign more than a year ago. There are a couple of guys who show up once every couple of months and play there own character, and one guy who shows up occasionally to hang out and drink wine- occasionally while playing an absent person's PC.

Nytmare

David Jose
See I wouldnt. I loved skyrim too but sometimes I want civilization, or GTA, or Madden, whatever.

/me has been playing Minecraft, almost exclusively, for almost three years straight. The only time I play something else is when my server is down, or while I'm farming in game.

CroBob

First Post
I'm pretty sure that Tim Agamon was trying to draw a parallel between Skyrim and D&D.

Yes, I know. It's just that Skyrim is kind of crap when you consider all the problems it has. All the bugs, the mediocre voice acting, the dialogue not updating to current situations, etc. It's a very fun game, but it was incomplete at launch, at best.

Agamon

Adventurer
Yes, I know. It's just that Skyrim is kind of crap when you consider all the problems it has. All the bugs, the mediocre voice acting, the dialogue not updating to current situations, etc. It's a very fun game, but it was incomplete at launch, at best.

To my point, "Skyrim" could have been "video game x", it was an example. There's a Skyrim thread on another board here if you want to talk about it. :)

My groups tend towards D&D, but don't really object when the guy who's going to be running next says, "I'll be running [Game X]. We'll do character generation during the next session and get into the game on the following one."

Wycen

Explorer
Just yesterday, or maybe New Years Eve, I heard one of my friends say with luck he'd never play DnD again. He may have qualified it to say, "hopefully" or "with luck" but I guess we'll get to find out sometime this year cause I heard him tell another friend that a certain bunch of people wanted to play Friday nights, and at least two of them. He says he prefers story driven games like Fiasco. Sadly I think I've come to the opposite conclusion, that I'm a fan of DnD for a reason and prefer to put the story telling into my game.

There is a guy in my current Pathfinder group who only plays DnD or now Pathfinder. We've tried other things like Mutants and Masterminds but he's never shown any interest. I remember another guy like that when we were playing Fantasy Hero and Champions. He'd play Fantasy Hero because he didn't want to deal with the "ethics" of a super hero game.

I used to have a thread here at ENworld listing board games I didn't want to play anymore, but have no clue where it is now. I think every game I put on my list I've ended up playing again if for no other reason than to be sociable.

MarkB

Legend
Our local gaming community is mainly centred around a club meeting on Friday nights, and we run a wide variety of systems. A few years ago there'd have been at least one table playing D&D at any one time, but these days there's no clear preferred system, and I don't think we've even had a D&D game in play within the last year.

Far from losing players as the systems have diversified, our club's steadily gained membership and at present we're up to five tables and running out of extra space to rent at the community centre.

There are several overlapping sub-groups that run campaigns outside of club night and I've been in a long-running 4e campaign for years now, running through the original series of 4e adventures that began with Keep on the Shadowfell - but even there we're now well into Epic levels, and there's no telling what we may end up playing after we complete the series.

We also have a semi-regular homebrew campaign that originated in 3.5e and transitioned to 4e, but earlier this year we switched that campaign to a FATE-based system, which the GM felt was more adaptable to his gameworld. We didn't shed any players in the transition.

Elf Witch

First Post
As I said in the other thread my group have become resistant to playing new games. Not because they are stubborn but for a lot of the reasons another posters listed.

Time, money, system mastery My players are all adults in their mid life with family and job commitments we don't get to play as often as we would like. Most of them don't want to learn a new system or spend money on it. We have gone as long as four months without playing and that makes it hard to remember a new system.

I think it might be different once people kids start leaving home and they have more me time.

A

amerigoV

As I said in the other thread my group have become resistant to playing new games. Not because they are stubborn but for a lot of the reasons another posters listed.

Time, money, system mastery My players are all adults in their mid life with family and job commitments we don't get to play as often as we would like. Most of them don't want to learn a new system or spend money on it. We have gone as long as four months without playing and that makes it hard to remember a new system.

Pretty much this for my group (we play more requently, but most players do not have time to "invest" between sessions). The group really suffered under d20 (I was mostly away during the d20 crunch gaming in another state). Way too much crunch for the GM/most of the players. They went through much pain and suffering under 3.x/Monte's Arcana Unearthed/4e before switching to Savage Worlds. Now, we are in gaming Nirvana. I jokingly threw out there that WoTC is playtesting 5N and one of the biggest suffereres under d20 just said "No". Not another word. Just "no".

Personally, I feel I have found my "goto system" both as player and GM and I have no interest in other systems now (so I have gone back to Stubborn/"get out here with your crappy game" catagory after being open to new systems during the 3.5 ->4e timeperiod).

Remove ads