Sultans of Smack

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Odd... I guess it was taken out in later printings. Does anybody else's copy have this, or am I the focus of some giant conspiracy to make people think I'm insane?

rln

Explorer
Boots of string and springing underpriced

According to the DMG Errata, the price for boots of springing and striding is 6000gp, not 2500gp which most people here is
referring to.

Still a good item for a monk, among others :D

Archer

First Post
What's up with all the self spell potions? A potion has to be something that can target another creature.

I don't see how arrows can hold fireballs.

Hospitaliers lose access to other domains and cast spells as a cleric, not a shugenja which I believe was already mentioned. I wonder if that means you lose access to all your shugenja spells.

Watch for alignment conflicts between classes.

Sword and Sorcery products aren't balanced with the rest of D&D, only the shattered lands so no mixing setting specific books like FRCS and R&R. Doing that is liking making up spells and feats that do whatever you want and saying you can do a million points of damage.

If you are using a whole party to achieve your smackdown then the party could probably have accomplished more smackdown in other ways in the same number of rounds.

Most smackdowns can be thwarted by a single readied dispel magic. The grappler is stopped by the close combat feat.

A paladin/templar with a ring of evasion and armor of absorbtion is just about immune to any spell with a save and several without. That's my contribution to smackdown.

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
Archer said:

Hospitaliers lose access to other domains and cast spells as a cleric, not a shugenja which I believe was already mentioned. I wonder if that means you lose access to all your shugenja spells.

Hospitalers gain spells as per any previous class that casts divine spells. Shujenjas cast divine spells. I dont see anytihng about Domains in my version of DOTF, BUT; If what you say is true, then it is still possible for the character to take all of Hospitaler before gaining the other domains. In that case, he would also get those two additional domains

Jairami

First Post
Archer said:
What's up with all the self spell potions? A potion has to be something that can target another creature.

DMG 191, you might want to check the range of alter self, it has a potion listed on the table and its range is personal.

Archer said:
Sword and Sorcery products aren't balanced with the rest of D&D, only the shattered lands so no mixing setting specific books like FRCS and R&R.

So you have balanced the non-R&R smacks in your world? Must be nice to have enemy mages that can take 300+ points of damage in a hit. Otherwise, it is pretty much assumed that smackdowns are not meant to be deemed balanced. They are creative conglomerations of available rules who's end result meets certain criteria.

Archer said:
Doing that is liking making up spells and feats that do whatever you want and saying you can do a million points of damage.

Now that's just childish. Sword and Sorcery Studios publishes quality books, including putting Monte's books into paper. And FRCS is WotC! I highly doubt they would sell enough books to remain profitable if they published books that could be compared to some hack sitting down and writing a purposefully ridiculous spell that does a 1,000,000 damage. That's just insulting.

Archer said:
Most smackdowns can be thwarted by a single readied dispel magic. The grappler is stopped by the close combat feat. A paladin/templar with a ring of evasion and armor of absorbtion is just about immune to any spell with a save and several without.

It takes no talent to criticize and shoot someone else's hard work full of holes. Any offense can be defended, it takes creativity to come up with some of these unique combinations. The point of them is entertainment. If you find it offending and feel you must exercise your moral superiority over the rest of use who are merely entertaining ourselves with out-of-the-box thinking, then feel free to avoid reading this thread.

Archer said:
That's my contribution to smackdown.

Thank you for taking the time to read our hard effort. Please feel free to be more constructive and less judgemental next time. The people who have put many hours of thought and research into this thread simply to entertain others will appreciate a little more courtesy in future.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Hope this hasn't already been posted, but I'm not going to read this whole thread.

I know this one isn't exaclty on the bleeding edge edge of damage maximums, but here's one that REALLY simple and can dish out a lot of damage. Plus it's all WotC, and only Power Crit and Frenzied Berserker are non-core.

Half-Orc Barbarian 10\Frenzied Berserker 10

Stats:
Str 50 (20 + 6 enhancement + 5 inherent + 5 level ups + 10 frenzy + 4 rage)

Feats: Power Attack, Power Critical, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus

Weapon: +5 Keen Greatsword of Speed

Rage and Frenzy, then use supreme power attack for 20 and power critical on the first attack.

That's 5 attacks at +26/+26/+21/+16/+11 doing 2d6+75 damage and 4d6+150 on a crit.

vs AC 15 thats 550 damage average
vs AC 20 thats 513 damage average
vs AC 25 thats 448 damage average or Power attack for 18 and its 457 damage average
vs AC 30 thats 340 damage average or power attack for 13 and its 398 damage average

Here's my spreadsheet with that character in it so you can play around with it

--Ragin' Spikey

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
SpikeyFreak said:
That's 5 attacks at +25/+25/+20/+15/+10 doing 2d6+75 damage and 4d6+150 on a crit.

vs AC 15 thats 550 damage average
vs AC 20 thats 513 damage average
vs AC 25 thats 448 damage average or Power attack for 18 and its 457 damage average
vs AC 30 thats 340 damage average or power attack for 13 and its 398 damage average

Your sheet lists the attacks as +26/+21/+16/+11 instead of +25/+20/+15/+10. Which is correct?

Quick question about Power Critical: Do you still have to make an attack roll and crit confirmation check? How exactly does this work?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
I forgot the weapon focus when I was writing the post, so +1 on every attack would be right.

This is from memory, so I could be wrong: Power Critical makes your next attack an automatic critical threat. It says that if you hit with your attack, it's a critical, which is exactly the same thing.

Why, have you found another bug/error in my spreadsheet?

--Nervous Spikey

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Jairami said:
<looks at CRG, points to the above post, looks at Spikey in awe>

How's that for some crunchiness? :D

I pretty much got the idea for making my sheet as complex as it is from CRGreathouse, so you can still consider him the main number cruncher around here.

--Unoriginal Spikey

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads