Sultans of Smack

thegreatbuddha

First Post
It's 2 Arms of Nyr, for a total of +4.

I used the Alternate Metamind from Monte Cook's website (the original Metamind was written before anyone had thought of PrCs adding caster/manifester levels. The alternate grants a total of +6 Manifester levels at 8th level.

He casts the Quickened Divine power via a Ring of Spell Storing. Same goes for the Quickened Righteous Might.

If there's a problem with the +4 from Animal Affinity, toss in a few power stones encoded with Extended Empowered Animal Affinity.

Reaper: Psychofeedback adds to your strength modifier, not your strength score. So I add +45 to my actual strength modifier.

Did you figure bonus PP based on a 32 or 36 strength? it should be 36, since the Animal Affinity lasts more than 24 hours.

Please stop calling out ways to stop my smacks. it's annoying and I am perceiving it as an attack. I believe the general rule of thumb is that smackdowns assume favorable conditions, so my opponent wouldn't have 10ft reach, or Fortunate Fate, or any of the other things you mentioned.

As for the +218 damage.... +62 strength +16 PA +16 RA + 124 Power Lunge = 218.

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
Reaper, I will mention that I think that you are making this thread much less fun than it should be. I feel that you have too much invested in ensuring that you have the ultimate smack and thus you criticize everyone else’s attempts. There is no prerequisite to posting here or a “hardcore” mode. Smackdowns are fun thought exercises that anyone can do.

Thegreatbuddha- good smackdown. I am sure that you can come up with even more ways to increase your strength score to ridiculous extremes to do even more damage (especially since it gives you lots of power points to work with for Psychofeedback). Just borrowing from reaper’s Kord Incarnate Smack, +4 Greater Aspect of the Diety, +4 luck from Mantle of Egregious Might, +10 inherent from Primal Release.

As for the really cheap way to get an uber-smack in 3.0, it is actually rather easy: abuse the leadership feat with insane cohorts. Specifically, a Wizard/Incantatrix/Spelldancer (enough Incantatrix levels to get Instant Metamagic at least 1/day and Improved Metamagic), Spelldancer 1 and maybe a level of something to obtain the Mysticism domain.

Cast Eagle’s Splendor with as much metamagic as possible, extended to over 24 hours. You can do a ton of metamagic thanks to incantatrix/spelldancer. Using the new spell, which boosts your Cha and perform check (for spelldancer) and saves (for spelldancer), you can get an even more powerful spell boosting your Cha.

Continue to do this for a couple of years, increasing the power of the spell by a couple of points each day. Add the spell into an item with the Persistant ability or some such. This only needs to be at caster level 3, spell level 2, since spelldancer doesn’t increase the actual level, as best I remember it, so the items will be very cheap.

Use your uber Cha (now you have an item that lets you get it without going through a 10 year cycle) to cast the uberbuff spells for the other ability scores and anything else that you want, with as much metamagic as you want. Play around with having 20,000 in every ability score. Anyone want to check this loose logic?

reapersaurus

First Post
Wait one second here.
Perception is reality, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't paint me as a threadcrapper without reading what I did.

I spent time and effort to point out possible problems with a Smack, and discuss its useability.
I didn't attack anyone.
I didn't take away anyone's fun.
I simply expended effort to try to help someone hone a Smack.
I don't know about anyone else that has ever done one, but it's seldom optimized the first time, and it always helps to have another pair of eyes checking the figures.
We're not perfect (at least I'm not).

While Smacks do assume favorable conditions, I don't think it's very constructive to ignore a smacks limitations. For example, buddha's Smack never mentions that it is only useable for 1 round, and that all of his psionic powers are spent after it.
If a reader didn't know all the rules involved, he wouldn't know that from buddha's post.
I don't think that helps people to understand, or evaluate, a Smack.

It's funny you mention adding other things to STR Smacks, because I was going to reply with this:
If I felt that 1 round Smacks were effective, than I'd re-write the Kord STR Smackdown to swap out Mighty Contender and put in Jeremy's patented SpellDancer uber-buff to get a huge enhancement to STR, then plop levels in a psionic class to get the 1-round PsychoFeedback boost, PLUS the Body Fuel cheese, sprinkle in Belsameth's Blessing to get +16 STR, work in an Anthropomorphic Giant Squid (+8 STR, 6 arms) with Girallon's Blessing (3 sets of arms more) and then Fuse Arms to get +20 to STR and place on top of the Kord Smack.
Depending on how cheesy the Spelldancer exploit would be (and how many Arms of Nyr might be exploited), I could easily see a STR well over 200.

For one round.

And there's more than that you can do.
I just think that there is so much material out there now, that unless there are some limits, it's patently absurd what you can make. It's hard to bother spending too much time on Smacks anymore.

reapersaurus

First Post
Oh- hopefully you'll perceive this as a rules clarification to clean up a Smack, and not an attack:

By the accepted/established rules, Power Lunge wouldn't add 124 damage in this case, it would add 62 (which is a lot). (total STR bonus of x2)

Also, you are more aware than I am of Monte Cook's version of the Metamind, but the version I DL'd grants +6 levels of existing class (in this case Psion), so I think he'd have the Power Points of a 10th level psion, which is 43.
Also, if his STR is considered 36 for Power Points, that's 13 points, right?
So PP = 43 + 13 + 1 = 57
Burning them all into Psychofeedback would give a 28 STR modifier, which changes the calculations again.

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Power Lunge adds double your strength bonus, it does not double your strength bonus, so it would in fact add 124 (62*2=124).

Bonus Power Points from an ability score add up, so while the character does have 43 base PP, he gets something like 7+9+9+11+11+13 bonus power points over the course of his 10 effective manifester levels.

The Souljourner

First Post
Power Lunge is not clearly written and has had several threads written about it already. It could be construed to add double your strength bonus, or it could be construed to replace the usual strength bonus or it could be construed to do the usual multiplier routine which is to add 1 to the current multiplier.

Anyway.... I wanted to add.. I could have sworn I saw in an FAQ somewhere that the bonus from an arm of Nyr was an enhancement bonus. Am I crazy?

One more thing... most of these smacks I see are using arguably (and sometimes not even arguably) broken non-core stuff, often 3.0 stuff. I don't know about anyone else, but non-core 3.0 stuff is pretty far removed from my roleplaying reality. I'd really be more interested in seeing 3.5 smacks, using only core material. Is that interesting to anyone else? I'm sure there must have been a thread at one point, but I guess I missed it.

3.5 makes it a lot more challenging in my opinion.... what fun is there in finding broken combos in 3.0 when they're so pervasive? The mere fact that it is possible to do 3000+ damage in one round tells me it's too easy, plus I never know what half of the abilities are, since people start bringing in stuff from even non-wotc material.

Heck, let me get in on this.... I have a feat called I Win. Prerequisite: +1 BAB. Benefit: the character with this feat does 100,000 damage per unarmed strike, but must give up all his attacks and all other benefits associated with the attack.

There, now I win (until someone makes Greater I Win, which does 200,000 damage).

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Power Lunge allows you "to inflict double your strength modifier in addition to the attack's damage." The "in addition to" pretty much spells out that it is neither a replacement of your base strength modifier nor a case of multipliers. This leaves us with one alternative -- it adds double your strength modifier to the attack's damage, which is exactly what the feat says it does.

Arms of Nyr are unnamed bonuses AFAIK.

The smackdown rules don't require everything to be WotC approved.

If you're not having fun reading the 3.0 smacks, stop reading the thread or start a 3.5 Smackdown thread. For me, 3.0 is fine, since it wasn't broken to begin with (see Rule 0).

And lastly, your feat wouldn't actually accomplish anything, since the character must give up all of his attacks. At 100,000 dmg per strike, and a total of 0 strikes per round, we come up with an average damage of 0. (100,000*0=0)

Jeremy

Explorer
Both 3.5 and 3.0 smacks are encouraged here. Both core and non-core. Both WotC and third party (as long as the third party is named and it is some form of publication).

I'd prefer not to see any 3.5/3.0 hybrid smacks and with the first 3.5 expansions coming out soon, hopefully we'll be seeing some more 3.5 smackdowns once we have the tools. :)

reapersaurus

First Post
Jeremy said:
Both WotC and third party (as long as the third party is named and it is some form of publication).
I think there should be some suggested limitations, because you know what kind of cheese there is out there, Jeremy. ;)

But barring barring, any Smack that includes non-WotC material should makes pains to point out the source, since non-WotC is kind of in "another arena" - not as accepted, or closely scrutinized as WotC products.

It's strange expecting Smack authors to exhibit restraint, but really, we kinda need to, since there are many by-the-book, unerrated truly broken things out there, that 'should' be plopped onto any Smack, if not.
(your Spelldancer cheese is the perfect example - it's completely legit, by the printed rules, and I don't even know of any quasi-official source that denies it)

greatbuddha - this is not a Rules debate thread.
It is irrelavant what you or I believe Power Lunge to be.
It is played in every official organization that I know of as 2X STR bonus.
If you want your Smacks to use unsupported rules to artificially inflate them, than I guess that's your prerogative, but I thought that good Smacks shared the charateristic of being solid, rules-wise, and yours has the potential to be a good Smack, if you clean it up a bit.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:
It is played in every official organization that I know of as 2X STR bonus.
2 x strength bonus WHAT?

GB says it's added to your damage (which already includes your strength bonus). I agree (given the wording of the feat).

Normal damage is weapon + strength modifier + other modifiers.

Double strength damage is... well... twice your strength bonus

adding the two together gives
weapon+strength+other+2xstrength

Not really difficult.

Remove ads