• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero RPG

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Relique du Madde said:
If you have hours to spend on making one character and like having serious headaches from doing complexed math, I'd say go for Hero. Otherwise,use M&M*.

*making characters for M&M can take alot of time, but not as much time as one Hero character.

I agree. For as complex as M&M is, HERO is like that squared. M&M also has templates, lots of ready-made characters if you don't want to spend 2 hours on a scratch-build. BASH! has no templates, but scratch-building might take a half hour if you don't know the system, 10 minutes if you do know it.

pawsplay

Hero
Relique du Madde said:
If you have hours to spend on making one character and like having serious headaches from doing alot of math, I'd say go for Hero. Otherwise,use M&M*.

I hate to open this can of worms, but I have to object to a little multiplication and division as being "tons of math."

Glyfair

Explorer
pawsplay said:
I hate to open this can of worms, but I have to object to a little multiplication and division as being "tons of math."

Or even "complexed math."

I was playing Champions very shortly after it was released. I had no real problems with the math in the game, and I don't believe the math has changed over the years.

That being said, I do prefer having a calculator when creating a character (I would have loved a character generation program back in the early 80s). Also, it's best to have some experience with the system to create an effective character. Our first characters were a mess because we had no guidelines (30 Dex with a 4 Speed for my first character, who wants to buy Speed at 10 pts. each ;) )

jonathan swift

First Post
Just to offer some more choices, here are some indie press super hero RPGs that I've heard great things about. (Note, I've never played either of them and my first choice for a supers game would be MnM)

Capes
http://www.museoffire.com/Games/index.html
This game runs without a GM, and is more of a storytelling game with players working running both the good guys and the bad guys.

Truth And Justice
http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/products/tj.asp
Made by Atomic Sock Monkey press and uses the absolutely gorgeous PDQ (Prose Descriptive Quality) mechanics.

LcKedovan

Explorer
Thanks guys,

tons of great suggestions. I'm thinking since all of my group are used to D20 I will probably grab that one to start and then pick up some of the other suggestions once they get a bit into things. I'm a glutton for games anyhow so having more than one of the same Genre is my modus operandi anyhow ;).

-W.

Mallus

Legend
Kheti sa-Menik said:
There's certainly no more advantage to point buy vs class based for superhero genre anymore than any other genre. Class-based mechanics can function as well or better in any genre than point buy.
I'd really like to see a class-based system that could handle my M&M character; Joseirus, the Egyptian God of Mexican Wresting... master of the Khonsuplex, the Nile-Driver, and the Cheops Drop.

In mechanical terms, he's an agile, fast hit-and-run combatant, with no ranged attacks whatsoever, and melee attacks that do 'controller-type' effects (paralyze/suffocate/nullify powers), in lieu of damage --well, except for the Cheops Drop, which drops a small pyramid on foes. He's pretty unskilled, but terrifically observant and an astute observer of human nature. Plus he's an amateur sorcerer/priest (of himself).

I don't now any class-based iteration of the d20 rule set that could model him as easily and elegantly as M&M 2e.

BTW, go with M&M 2e... it rocks!

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Mallus said:
I'd really like to see a class-based system that could handle my M&M character; Joseirus, the Egyptian God of Mexican Wresting... master of the Khonsuplex, the Nile-Driver, and the Cheops Drop.

In mechanical terms, he's an agile, fast hit-and-run combatant, with no ranged attacks whatsoever, and melee attacks that do 'controller-type' effects (paralyze/suffocate/nullify powers), in lieu of damage --well, except for the Cheops Drop, which drops a small pyramid on foes. He's pretty unskilled, but terrifically observant and an astute observer of human nature. Plus he's an amateur sorcerer/priest (of himself).

Not class based, but this looked so fun I could not resist it. Let me know if it needs tweaking. I was thinking of adding a weakness. like his Luchador mask being the source of all his powers, but didn't know if you had anything like that. If he had a weakness, I could give him +1 to a stat or +2 more points in powers, if we are building within the starting hero guidelines.

Joseirus, Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling
Brawn 3
Agility 3
Mind 1

Powers:
Cheops Drop: Special Attack: Range 5, Radius 1, +2DM, [Limitation: Ammo (only so many bricks in the sky per day)] x5 Dmg, 3pts. [the way ammo rules work, he'd get an average of 6 uses of this in a session, which should be more than enough]

Kufu Clothesline: Super Running gives +1DM on attacks, x4 Dmg, Run 12 squares 1pt

Keen Senses: Vision 1pt Makes visual checks at x4 instead of x1

Nile Driver: Attack Weakpoint [Limitation: Must deliver this attack from above target] (if the attack hits by 20, it does x6 dmg, otherwise it does x3) 1pt.

Wrestling Moves Multipower: 3pts
Khonsuplex: Immobilize 30, [Limitation: must maintain hold on target]
Set Sleeper Hold: Continual Damage x3dmg [Limitation, must maintain hold]

Skills:
Athletics+1/Wrestling
Performing/Heckling & Showboating
Humanities/Occult

Advantage: Celebrity: Adored by millions of wrestling fans, especially in Egypt and Mexico. Always has wellwishers and fans wanting to help him out.

Disadvantage: Secret. His identity is top secret, as he has never been unmasked in the ring. To be unmasked would be a shame he could not live down.

Mental Malfunction:
Overconfidence & Machismo. Determined that he is THE GREATEST egyptian god/luchador in the world, he will take on any challenge, any place, any time!

Remove ads