The Folly of Man (IC): Part I

G

Guest 11456

Gladsy Tarkyne : Female Human Druid 3

Gladsy sits and listens to what Master Fallenwore has to say. She smiles brightly and thinks that it was a good idea to leave Ruff outside. Newcomers generally don't do well around him.

Mithreander

Explorer
Findel smiles at the enthusiasm that the adventures show… true to their nature, and the very reason for them to be the ones to go, but obviously that was for him to tell them.

”The reasons that you 6 were picked are three fold: One, you have an interest and open mind about the other races; two, you have the experience to complete what is needed; and three, you all have the desire to face the unknown… even relishing the prospect. The last one is a true rarity, though the other two are no less important.”

Findel shifts slightly in his chair and answers the other question. ”AS to what I have found out about the defenses of the book, well I have some specific information and some not so specific information. First, Dwarven strongholds are always well protected, so you can expect the normal challenges of going into such a place uninvited: traps and such. On the more specific information that I have: the book is protected by a construct made of iron.”

Jolmo

First Post
"I hope one of you fellows know how to deal with traps, I'm afraid my fingers aren't dextrous enough to deal with such things." Garam says to the other adventurers. "But we can expect there to be no live inhabitants, right?", He adds to Findel.

After hearing the answer he continues: "So, what do you know of the construct? Will it be hostile to all it perceives? Can it be hurt by normal weapons? Could we avoid it without being noticed?" Throwing out several questions at once to give a general idea of what sort of answers he was after before sitting back, listening to Findel's respose.

Last edited:

ControlFreak

First Post
Tsoren responds, "I'm pretty good at taking things apart .. I figure I can deal with most traps we find." He thinks a moment, "well .. assuming they aren't magic. I don't know much about magic."

taitzu52

First Post
Thoris nods grimly at the statements of his counterparts, thinking that it would be redundant to state the nature of his skills. Through experience, he knows his stature and armament should speak for themselves. Constructs, eh?, he thinks as he tightens his hold on his pommel.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Nak smiles for a moment.

"Traps, I'm good at, you could say. There's few things out there I can't find a way around. But a construct would worry me. I don't like fighting things that don't have convenient things like livers to stab."

Mithreander

Explorer
Findel nods to their questions, and knowing some of their reputations is not surprised by their claim to certain skills. He addresses each question in turn.

”Living inhabitants CAN be expected, at least on the surface areas of the caverns. Mainly mundane creatures, but the few confirmed sightings of more… magical beast have been around such places as you are going now, so it would be best to be on guard. Also, there is a rumor that Count Rhackorn is trying to establish a new city-state near the region where the dwarven ruins are, so you may meet some of his men.”

Count Rhackorn was a well known renegade to the present order of things. He thought that the present laws in place just bottlenecked people and lacked the freedoms that would allow people to flourish, such as the law against slavery. He also thinks that a single dictator can accomplish more then a council of elected persons could.

In a way, he is right. There have been instances where needed laws and improvements to the city have stagnated in the council because of differing opinions, and the people had to take matters into their own hands to see things through. In one case, 10 years ago, one of the city walls fell in do to a tornado that had struck it, and it was taking the council months to figure out where the money would come from to repair it, or if it even needed repairing do to the absence of the orcish threat, the reason that the wall was built in the first place, over 400 years ago. Come to think of it, this very expedition may be the council’s way to see if that threat will arise again for future decision. Count Rhackorn had finally put the money and labor to rebuild the section of wall that had been ruined before the council had reached a decision.

Findel continued as these events ran through your mind: ”As to the construct, I have very little information, other then the fact that it guards the chamber that the book is supposed to lie in, and not the book itself. At least that’s how the text reads. I have done some research on constructs, and they are nasty if this is a magical construct, as we fear. They are very resistant to weapons, and almost immune to magic. As for its hostility, I know that they are unintelligent and only given one task. If that’s the case for this one, then that task is well documented: to guard the chamber and stop any but the rightful owner to enter.”

Last edited:

taitzu52

First Post
"All that was born is meant to die, none of the living creatures will stand before me. But once our experts have gotten us past the traps, we must remember that the book is our goal, not the defeat of the construct. Sacrifices must be made, even on my part, but our most clever compatriots must retrieve that book! Now, how will we be guided to the stronghold?", says Thoris, as he eyes the party.

Mithreander

Explorer
”Ah, the map!” Findel exclaims as he reaches into his desk and pulls out a scroll case and holds it out for one of you to take.

”On this map you’ll find an overland map of the area where the two known entrances are. One is the main entrance and the other was for just the dwarves. It used to be used exclusively to get wood to the furnaces that the dwarves used. I’ll leave it up to you to determine which is the best to take. You’ll also find a rough map that I put together of the interior and where I think the map is. The interior map, as I said, is rough, and the reason is that I formulated from the records that I found, which are written, not drawn.”

Findel places his hand back on the desk after one of the group grabs the scroll case and finishes up his discourse.

”As you can see from the map, the ruins are to the south of us. The quickest way to it is by river, and anticipating your desire to leave and reach your destination quickly, I’ve arrange for passage, by boat. It will take you within a days walk from the most northerly entrance: the main entrance. The boat is called The Shallow Gall, and it’s ready to leave when you are. Are there any other questions?”

Jolmo

First Post
Garam eagerly takes the map and studies it while Findel talks, placing each entrance and their surroundings in his mind. When Findel has finished talking, he offers it to anyone else interested in it and replies: "I have one more question before we leave. Count Rhackorn, has he spoken for or against this search, would he hinder us?"

Remove ads