The Hand Wave

Psion

Adventurer
die_kluge said:
Using the can? I didn't think people in D&D had excretory systems? :lol:

That reminds me of, one time when I was in a strange mood, I told one GM that my character relieved himself.

He gave me a stunned look for a few seconds and then proceeded to lecture me on what we simulate in the game and what we do not.

But, hey. It was a Cthulhu game. I figured that such events happen at inconvenient junctures.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Shopping for mundane stuff, long travel and down time, random encounters that are no threat (though I sometimes do play them out: shows the players how far their characters have come), material components, prices for food and drink (when a long period passes, I'll use the upkeep rules from the DMG), dying enemies are considered dead (unless I want to see them live).

Quite a lot really.

Rav

Falkus

Explorer
that is a talk to the hand. not a hand wave.

cause it just ain't gonna happen.

They each carry at least two concealed firearms, multiple fragmentation and thermite grenades, have access to several powerful spells in the form of the mage, and have numerous assault rifles, sniper rifles and a RPG-7 in their Hummer. If I didn't let them find a parking spot, I'm afraid of what would happen.

the Jester

Legend
Missing players.

Our 'hand wave' on this one involves stating that they are 'scouting ahead,' 'guarding the mounts,' 'sick with the grippe,' 'relieving themselves' or whatever.

Actually, once the hand wave came back in a meaningful way in my halfling game- the party was put on trial, and one pc defended herself by saying, "But I wasn't even there, I was sick with the buzzing bowels!" (-a terrible swamp disease).

We generally hand wave relieving oneself, drinking and whoring, but sometimes it affects the game (for example, when the pcs were trapped in a small dungeon room and one of them had the aforementioned swamp disease, it made for a disgusting place that could have infected them all). We sometimes handwave shopping to a certain extent, though I definitely limit what is available based on where the pcs are.

Remove ads