• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Immortal`s Handbook

Impeesa

Explorer
One minor mechanics question - will you be giving ECL adjustments in addition to CR adjustments for the various divine templates? This just occurred to me when a friend announced an upcoming one-shot 20th level adventure... I was wondering if a bare-minimum-level, newly ascended hero-deity would fit within the 20 level limit. :) But it's a valid question in general - does becoming a deity affect your xp progression (since it doesn't normally affect your class levels)?

--Impeesa--

-Eä-

First Post
On Salient Divine Abilities

Greetings, people!

Nice to see that people are posting in the WPS-threads... (Yes, it will always be the WPS to me)

Finally I have been able to read Deities and Demigods, and I found some of the concepts intriguing while I found others quite absurd.

Will you be adressing the Salient Divine abilities that won't function on deities with more divine ranks? And what about those that function automatically on non-deities? Are not these a bit unbalanced in a campaign where deities interact with each other and mortals? In my opinion these should be adressed and modified, but perhaps this has been discussed before...

Impeesa

Explorer
Re: On Salient Divine Abilities

-Eä- said:
Greetings, people!

Nice to see that people are posting in the WPS-threads... (Yes, it will always be the WPS to me)

Finally I have been able to read Deities and Demigods, and I found some of the concepts intriguing while I found others quite absurd.

Will you be adressing the Salient Divine abilities that won't function on deities with more divine ranks? And what about those that function automatically on non-deities? Are not these a bit unbalanced in a campaign where deities interact with each other and mortals? In my opinion these should be adressed and modified, but perhaps this has been discussed before...

I can't remember if UK has actually stated this, or if it was just the first thing that occurred to me, but I think he's probably just going to toss that out the window and give them all normal save DCs. It's not like anyone more than a few ranks below you is going to have a good chance of saving anyways, but it does promote more interaction (there's always "the chance"). :D

--Impeesa--

Hi Impeesa mate! :)

Sorry for the slow response I had this business course to attend all day today.

Impeesa said:
One minor mechanics question - will you be giving ECL adjustments in addition to CR adjustments for the various divine templates?

ECL is how you equate things with levels. So if I say that the Hero-deity template is equivalent to +8 ECL a 20th-level Hero-deity is roughly equal to a 26th-level Sorceror Lich, or a 28th-level character.

CR is modified above 20 because the increase in power begins to wane the further you ascend.

eg. ECL 28 = CR24.

So a 20th-level Hero-deity is about equivalent to 4 20th-level PCs (Not 16 20th-level PCs which the current rules advocate).

Impeesa said:
This just occurred to me when a friend announced an upcoming one-shot 20th level adventure... I was wondering if a bare-minimum-level, newly ascended hero-deity would fit within the 20 level limit. :)

They would be about CR24.

Impeesa said:
But it's a valid question in general - does becoming a deity affect your xp progression (since it doesn't normally affect your class levels)?

No.

Remember Divine Power flows from Worship Points not Experience Points.

Re: On Salient Divine Abilities

-Eä- said:
Greetings, people!

Hi -Eä- mate! :)

Nice to hear from you!

-Eä- said:

:D

I'm sure I'll sneak that term in somewhere!

-Eä- said:

I agree.

-Eä- said:
Will you be addressing the Salient Divine abilities that won't function on deities with more divine ranks? And what about those that function automatically on non-deities? Are not these a bit unbalanced in a campaign where deities interact with each other and mortals? In my opinion these should be adressed and modified, but perhaps this has been discussed before...

I will be addressing a number of points regarding SDAs (including the ones you mentioned) as well as going as far as to rewrite a number of them* - 15 at the last count.

*Some only require minor adjustments.

Re: Re: On Salient Divine Abilities

Hello again mate! :)

Impeesa said:
I can't remember if UK has actually stated this, or if it was just the first thing that occurred to me, but I think he's probably just going to toss that out the window and give them all normal save DCs. It's not like anyone more than a few ranks below you is going to have a good chance of saving anyways, but it does promote more interaction (there's always "the chance"). :D

At the moment I am favouring having certain powers blocked by status (rather than Divine Rank). But I may be able to incorporate a stipulation of Domains into this aspect of things.

eg. A Lesser God would be vulnerable to the Fire based attacks of a Demigod with the Fire Domain etc.

Immortals Handbook FAQ

Hi all! :)

I have been toying with the idea of a IH/WPS FAQ (I should have my personal website up and running within a few weeks and this would be one initial feature therein). ;)

So if any of you have any general questions you would like answered either post them here or email them to me. Or if you simply have any suggestions/advice for the FAQ I would appreciate it. :)

S'mon

Legend
Re: Immortals Handbook FAQ

Upper_Krust said:
Hi all! :)

I have been toying with the idea of a IH/WPS FAQ (I should have my personal website up and running within a few weeks and this would be one initial feature therein). ;)

With a tagline "Worship Points Original Conception by Simon Newman", I hope! :D

Wouldn't want to end up the Dave Arneson to your EGG, Craig...;)

Impeesa

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:

Sorry for the slow response I had this business course to attend all day today.

No problem, if you didn't have a day job you wouldn't be able to eat... and then you couldn't write for us. ;) Business course, huh? Just out of curiosity, what is your day job?

Upper_Krust said:

ECL is how you equate things with levels. So if I say that the Hero-deity template is equivalent to +8 ECL a 20th-level Hero-deity is roughly equal to a 26th-level Sorceror Lich, or a 28th-level character.

Ok.

Upper_Krust said:

So a 20th-level Hero-deity is about equivalent to 4 20th-level PCs (Not 16 20th-level PCs which the current rules advocate).

Right, but is it possible then to have a hero-deity at 12th level provided he's somehow gained sufficient worshippers?

Upper_Krust said:

Remember Divine Power flows from Worship Points not Experience Points.

I got that - what I was referring to was the FR method of handling ECL, where playing a more powerful race shifts your xp table up. For example, an Aasimar (ECL +1) needs as much xp to go from level 4 to 5 as a human does to go from 5 to 6. If this isn't accounted for with the increased power of a newly ascended deity who is still facing regular encounters, his advancement could speed up. Not that I doubt you, of course. ;)

--Impeesa--

Remove ads