• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The March D&D Book Will Be Announced Next Tuesday

As has become standard these days, the upcoming D&D book has appeared -- in an anonymous, secretive guise -- on various bookstores in advance of an announcement. In this case, Amazon, Penguin Random House, and Barnes & Noble, all of whom confirm that the book will be announced next Tuesday on January 12th, and released on March 16th. The book will cost $49.99. B&N has its dimensions as being...

As has become standard these days, the upcoming D&D book has appeared -- in an anonymous, secretive guise -- on various bookstores in advance of an announcement. In this case, Amazon, Penguin Random House, and Barnes & Noble, all of whom confirm that the book will be announced next Tuesday on January 12th, and released on March 16th.

The book will cost $49.99. B&N has its dimensions as being 6.5 x 9.5 inches, which is smaller than a standard D&D hardcover (but that information could just be a placeholder). B&N also indicates that the authors are Peter Lee and Rodney Thompson, but they also say that for Tasha's Cauldron and other WotC books, so that also looks like it's just their boilerplate for WotC. There's also an ISBN number: 978-0786967223.

This is almost an exact mirror of this time last year, almost down to the dates (last year it appeared on stores on Jan 6th, was announced as Explorer's Guide to Wildemount on Jan 9th, and released March 17th).

There's been plenty of speculation recently. Last year WotC said that three classic settings were getting active attention, and that the coming years would have a greater emphasis on settings, as well as more anthologies and Magic: The Gathering collaborations. And, of course, WotC has recently been involved in a Dragonlance lawsuit, which was voluntarily dismissed in December with Margaret Weis tweeting that there was exciting news in the weeks to come.

soon.jpg

The one book that comes to mind that models what Im thinking is the Magister by Ed Greenwood that came out in the late 90s. Sure there was spells in there and magic items but the majority was fluff/story based. Tashas and Xanathars to me is purely a rules expansion as to a book like I suggested may have some new rules but its not to the main focus.
The Grand History of the Realms. 100% pure fluff. And 100% awesome (for a history buff like me that is).

And I definitely called it in the 2021 speculation thread that we would be getting an announcement for the March product within a week or so...

I'll throw my chips in for a dragon-themed Volo's-style book...

R_J_K75

Legend
The Grand History of the Realms. 100% pure fluff. And 100% awesome (for a history buff like me that is).

And I definitely called it in the 2021 speculation thread that we would be getting an announcement for the March product within a week or so...

Exactly, perfect examples of the type of books that can break the monotony. Cities of Mystery, Dungeon/World Builders Guidebook, DMs Adventure Kit are others.

Funny I just did a search on Amazon within the last few days to see if there were any hints of a new product, but looks like I was a few days too early.

A Volos Guide would be cool if it was the old chapbook style. Unfortunately if it were on dragons itd never come out because he'd be eaten within 30 seconds of his first dragon encounter.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer

I'm not too interested in more dragons. But another book with monsters would definitely be my preference.

I hope it's not an adventure, I have no interest in official adventures.

If it is an adventure module my theory is something about planes or gothic horror. The sequel of CoS is possible, something like the House of the Gryphon Hill, and the compilations about the grand condjution in the next year. Or a module with the House of the Gryphon Hill + Bleak House: the death of Ruddolp van Richten. Dragonlance aventure compilation? Possible but not this year.

Monster compedium? I guess about planes and maybe adding things from Spelljammer. Other option would be a "Van Richten's libris mortis". Draconomicon is possible, but not this year. Fiendish Codex (demons + devils) possible, but I doubt this year.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Too close to Tasha's for a rules book, and too close to Rime of the Frostmaiden for a big adventure.

A setting book or a compilation of short adventures. If it's the latter, I hope for new original adventures rather that re-prints from previous editions.

Remove ads

Remove ads