The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! The plot will focus on an urban treasure hunt and a focus on urban and city-based adventures with special rules for running games in that environment. The adventure itself will have variable goals and antagonists similar to the original I6: Ravenloft module, where the DM chooses what "villain" will be the secret villain of the campaign, which will change outcomes of various events. The adventure itself will also have downtime built into the adventure along with the ability to own property in Waterdeep. The adventure for Level 1-5 will be released on September 18, 2018, with an MSRP of $49.95.

A second announcement is anticipated later this weekend, as the product codenamed "Catacombs" has a release date of November 20 and is also a 256-page hardcover book. This would make Waterdeep: Dragon Heist the codename "Broadway" (which also had a custom dice release announced for solicitation last year with the other products, including "Marathon" which turned out to be Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

Wizards of the coast made the announcement as part of a weekend-long live streaming event on their Twitch channel, "Stream of Many Eyes". Other products announced during the live stream include updates to the Neverwinter MMO and its Barovia expansion, a new official history artbook about Dungeons & Dragons with images throughout the history of the game, and a new series of boxed sets with props and handouts for published adventures released so far as well as for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

This article will be updated with more information as the Wizards of the Coast live stream continues.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

GarrettKP

Explorer
The precedence was set for an adventure and an accessory.
They’re already changing things by releasing two adventures.

Sure. But the fact that the adventures are likely connected means it would be stupid not to announce them this weekend. Dragon Heist is 1-5. There’s no way they would only release that as the big announcement with everyone clamoring for higher level content. And the code names line up for a Waterdeep and Undermountain combo pack.

Today they will announce Catacomb as an Undermountain companion to Dragon Heist, and I’ll take the prediction a step further and say it’ll be high level. Roughly 1-20ish. And I also fully expect them to announce a 3rd fall book Sunday.

Either way, if I’m right or wrong, we will know today.

Sure. But the fact that the adventures are likely connected means it would be stupid not to announce them this weekend. Dragon Heist is 1-5.
Unless they want to focus the excitement and hype on this adventure for a little while, letting it have the spotlight. Let the streaming shows do Waterdeep for a few months and such. And then, in a few months and closer to the releases, announce the November release.

There’s no way they would only release that as the big announcement with everyone clamoring for higher level content. And the code names line up for a Waterdeep and Undermountain combo pack.
Announcing them at the same time doesn't get the content to people any sooner. People will still be clamoring for it...

Honestly, with more freelancers involved, the smaller level range, and even the name of this book, I can more easily see a companion Undermountain book. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist and Waterdeep: Madness of Halaster.

Today they will announce Catacomb as an Undermountain companion to Dragon Heist, and I’ll take the prediction a step further and say it’ll be high level. Roughly 1-20ish.
They normally announce the spring release three to four months in advance. January or February for April (or, in this year, May).
It's not inconceivable they'll try to announce it a few days after Dragon Heist drops and hope no online retailer spoils the name.

And I also fully expect them to announce a 3rd fall book Sunday.
My thoughts on that are well known.

happyhermit

Adventurer
They normally announce the spring release three to four months in advance. January or February for April (or, in this year, May).
It's not inconceivable they'll try to announce it a few days after Dragon Heist drops and hope no online retailer spoils the name.

I just watched the beginning of yesterday's stream and Nathan said stuff almost to the effect of "where we unveil all of the years product" not sure exactly what was meant but it does indicate there might be more.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I really don't get the push for replayability? It's my understanding that most tables can't keep up with even the current release schedule, let alone want to play the same adventure twice?

This is definitely a different flavor of adventure which is nice, but I'm curious the see the details. I imagine it'll take some masterful DMing to keep the NPCs distinct and interesting.

I just watched the beginning of yesterday's stream and Nathan said stuff almost to the effect of "where we unveil all of the years product" not sure exactly what was meant but it does indicate there might be more.
I'm always dubious when people say stuff like that live. Because people misspeak.
He was describing the last two streams where they revealed everything for the year. He may have been talking about this stream. Or he may have goofed as there wasn't editing and no script & teleprompter.

Sure, they *might* delay the start of Sirens of the Realms at 10am to announce something. Or end it early and do a quick reveal between it Rivals of Waterdeep at 12:30. But why wouldn't they put that on the schedule?

Remove ads

Remove ads