The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! The plot will focus on an urban treasure hunt and a focus on urban and city-based adventures with special rules for running games in that environment. The adventure itself will have variable goals and antagonists similar to the original I6: Ravenloft module, where the DM chooses what "villain" will be the secret villain of the campaign, which will change outcomes of various events. The adventure itself will also have downtime built into the adventure along with the ability to own property in Waterdeep. The adventure for Level 1-5 will be released on September 18, 2018, with an MSRP of $49.95.

A second announcement is anticipated later this weekend, as the product codenamed "Catacombs" has a release date of November 20 and is also a 256-page hardcover book. This would make Waterdeep: Dragon Heist the codename "Broadway" (which also had a custom dice release announced for solicitation last year with the other products, including "Marathon" which turned out to be Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

Wizards of the coast made the announcement as part of a weekend-long live streaming event on their Twitch channel, "Stream of Many Eyes". Other products announced during the live stream include updates to the Neverwinter MMO and its Barovia expansion, a new official history artbook about Dungeons & Dragons with images throughout the history of the game, and a new series of boxed sets with props and handouts for published adventures released so far as well as for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

This article will be updated with more information as the Wizards of the Coast live stream continues.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yep. I mentioned that in the OP. Of course, they did a similar thing with SKT and people complained bitterly about the amount of “wasted” space since you apparently can’t use all of the adventure in one go (which isn’t the case at all).

I wonder how many people will make the same complaint about this one: “I can only use 1/4 of this adventure at a time? I want my money back! Waaaah!!!1!”

For now Reddit is still on the ''FR hate'' train, I'm sure the complaints about wasted material will come at release. I'm sure that some DM would be able to re-use the adventure by changing the faction and the wanted treasure to make full use of the book.

I like the idea of the adventure, and having a bit of City System in there as well. But Waterdeep: Dragon Heist? Awful name, we're stealing a dragon?

GarrettKP

Explorer
When are they announcing that? I don’t see another announcement or round table on the scheduled for tomorrow or Sunday.

Probably first thing. They did the same last year. Didn’t schedule the announcement for Xanathars, but announced it second day of the stream all the same.

GarrettKP

Explorer
thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2017/06/stream-of-annihilation-day-two.html?m=1

Here’s proof. Powerscore did write ups for both days last year. This is day two where they announced it.

Birmy

Adventurer
Product page is up. Says the Adventure is for levels 1-5!!! So ya, there is definitely a higher level follow up being announced tomorrow. Undermountain!!

I bet you're right. Both the titling convention ("Waterdeep: _______") and the logo treatment on the cover suggest it would be part of a series.

Abstruse

Legend
Okay, I'm officially done updating the article for the night (aside from corrections). Pretty sure that's all the information we're going to get unless someone slips up on social media or someone else breaks embargo on what "Catacombs" is due November 20.

Remove ads

Remove ads