The Next Innovation in Gaming

DM-created, AI-managed Small Multiplayer Online RPGs (DMAISMORPGs).

When AI is good enough, you as the DM will be able to tell a computer what you want in your world, and the computer will render that for your players, which you can tweak in real time as they play through your adventures.

Wik

First Post
I traveled to the future and I got a glimpse of what is coming next, so brace yourselves: Pogs. Yeah, pogs are coming back big time, but now with miniaturized holographic projectors that crate a 3d holographic images that render miniatures obsolete. :D
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CCbnpMCdds[/ame]

FireLance

Legend
I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. In my view, the likely trends are:

Electronic: A shift away from physical books to an electronically readable format.

Portable: The devices used to read or access the electronically available information will get smaller, lighter and easier to carry around.

Intelligent: The devices will do the heavy math lifting. You input your choices and the machine works out the math and keeps track of your bonuses and conditions.

Networked: The devices can talk to each other, and can even tell when someone else has given you a bonus or imposed a condition on you.

Sean-Khan

First Post
Hello everyone, I believe this is my first post here - I'm a long-time gamer that has been seen on WotC, true20, maxminis, hordelings and other forums, and I host Finnish miniature collectors website.

Anyway, to the topic - I'm a web developer and I've seen a lot about web trends. One thing is that great new hits aren't new - usually something similar has already been done, but the time just hasn't been right for it. I believe this is true for next gaming innovation too.

If I have to guess for it, I'd say it will be something online community -based. Worlds and adventures created by communal efforts, perhaps. It may have commercial core organization, but not necessarily.

darjr

I crit!
My oldest son is playing 'Text messaging'.

Seriously, It's not really a game but he sends more text messages than I thought would have been physically possible and he and his friends have a great ole time at it. So maybe something along those lines, sure.

Anyway, welcome Sean-Khan!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Ironically enough, last semester I did a project proposal for a class I took that involved exactly what is being discussed here. Here's what I came up with:

* 2 back-lit LCD screens that can be folded together. The size is the same as a standard book. The reason for this design is that the non-back-lit devices are good for sitting and reading long-form stuff like books, but it's not as good if you're using it for reference. The reason for two screens is so that you can still incorporate quality book design and you would still have standard two-page spreads, which I think is important with things that use large tables, like an RPG.

* An open platform that allows the user to connect to various content provider servers wirelessly. In my proposal, it worked with wireless network routers, but maybe a deluxe model would work like an i-phone and be able to connect anywhere, any time. The fact that it's open means that any gaming companies that want to participate may do so. Finally, while data moves through computers, data is not actually stored on computers. In other words, you get the content directly using the device, but you can't store it and redistribute it yourself - at least not without hacking the thing, which would be illegal. Every device would have its own unique identifier and all content sold would be keyed to that identifier. You can have up to five devices on one account, as long as they are registered to the same person. If you have to replace one because it breaks, you just call a friendly customer service number and they remove one from your account and add the replacement.

* "books" would have the ability to display multi-media. For example, the content provider could program in an animation that shows how attacks of opportunity work. They could also provide a step by step animation on how to do complicated things, like grappling. There would be a speaker, and it would be voice sensitive, so the book would explain something, the user would say "next step" and it would move on through the various phases until the action is complete. It would also come complete with a die roller, storable character sheets that work in conjunction with calculation sheets. This would, of course, only be helpful if every player has their own device.

* For games where every player does have their own device, they would be able to sync up with the DMs device, which would keep track of initiative as well as effects that have durations. This way you would automatically know when a spell expires, or someone is done being sickened.

* Storage would be solid state, so there are no breakable moving parts, and there would be enough space for thousands of fully colored and illustrated books.

Of course this is not a real product, but I could see something along these lines appearing within the next five to ten years.

Stormonu

Legend
I too think that electronics will play bigger and bigger parts in traditional PnP games. Not only character building and book storage on electronic devices, but smart interfaces. For example, a character "sheet" that displays a graphical picture of your PC. Click on your gear to see its stats or on a "quick bar" to bring up your power/feats or select an action. A DM adjusts a minimap displayed on his device, selects a monster and "shuffles" it at a player (flicking his hand-held device at the player's device) and it calculates the attack and effect against the PC, doing all the combat rolling and resolution, complete with sound effects. Vice versa for the PCs to attack/roll dice/whatever. The device will handle all the "fiddly bits" allowing the players and DMs to concentrating on the action at hand and not the mechanics.

Also, I'm waiting for the bright computer designer to make the next gen laptop. I imagine it being something like a nintendo DS. Where the keyboard is now, it would instead be another (touch) screen. If you need to type something, you tap an icon or something on the corner and it brings up a keyboard on the lower screen. Otherwise, it expands your viewing/work area to "double" the monitor size. Also, the touch pad would no longer be needed because both screens respond to direct touch input.

Edit: Coupling with some of Darren's ideas, when you pull up books, you could simply turn it sideways (like an open book) and have a two-page spread to read from.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
My bet would be on something electronic.

Still, magic was way out even, if after, it seems like a natural idea.

What similar things are going on?

What thing are people using or looking at that almost is a game but not quite? Wasn't the inspiration for magic some almost useless spell cards from TSR? Something the creator was idly dorking around with while waiting in line at GenCon?

What similar thing could be pushed into a game?

Remove ads