The Shackled City - Golarion Interest/Recruitment (CLOSED)

ahayford

First Post
Mysteries are definitely harder to run from an RPG perspective for both player and DM. I will try and rein in that aspect of the adventure a bit. I promise the gears are going to shift soon.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'm in much the same boat as the others. I love your DMing, the writing and the descriptions. But I'm totally lost as to what to actually do with all of it. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm just no good at playing through an investigation (as this is happening to me in other games). :p

And, similar to jkason, I use the subscriptions as a reminder... so I've checked, read, and had to take time to think of a response. Then, unfortunately, it tends to slip my mind. And I've been unusually scatterbrained for a while now, which only adds to a frustrating problem. :rant:

And now I sound rather like a parrot. I suppose that's a hazard when you live in a time zone with a few hours difference from a lot of the other players. :p

ahayford

First Post
I've been trying to avoid posting reminders so as not to appear to be an obsessive ass....but if that is how you guys remember what games to post to, maybe I will start doing so at the 2day mark if you would find that helpful.

I have some ideas of how to relieve some of the "investigation" problems. I plan on updating tonight. I'd make an update now, but I want to make sure I think it through.

Shayuri

First Post
There's a lot of factors that can work in concert to create delays in PBP's I've found. By far the biggest one in my experience is when there's an open decision before the party (that is, a decision that is not quantified, like: Where do you go now? or What do you do next?), as opposed to a closed decision, which is where there's a limited number of obvious choices like, which of the three buttons do you press, or which of the two doors do you open?

There's this snowballing thing where people who think they -might- have an idea pause to see if anyone else posts who has a -better- idea. It only takes a few days to get out of the flow and get out of the 'habit' of posting, so to speak.

This -will- happen from time to time. I've never seen a game where it didn't. You can have the best group with the best GM, but sometimes you'll still get that 'shrug and go 'huh' moment. At a tabletop, it can slow things down for a few minutes. In a PBP...it takes longer. The only advice I can give is that sometimes the GM -does- need to kick the players in their collective patooties and get an answer.

As a player, waiting to see if someone else takes the lead is seductive. It leaves you blameless...an anonymous member of the crowd. After all, no one ELSE is posting either, right? It absolves you of responsibility. It promises to deliver blame and responsibility to the poor schmuck who posts first.

As a GM, breaking that up is one of the things you have to do to keep the game moving. Usually a reminder is enough. Perhaps with a veiled threat to NPC -everyone- should no one post soon. :)

One thing I heartily advise though is not to take it personally. It is in no way a commentary on your game, nor even on our commitment or enjoyment of your game. Like I said...it happens to every game sooner or later. That it's taken this long in your game is actually pretty remarkable.

Greetings all! I'll make this short as to not take up space in your OOC thread. I am new to the site and would like to be considered as a replacement in the case that someone must leave the game and cannot return. Thank you for reading and good luck with the game.

-BSF

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm once again having Internet access problems, and posting will be VERY slow until I get it fixed.

I'll try to put in at least an occasional appearance from my phone.

ahayford

First Post
Hey guys, Fangor pointed out to me that I had mangled the name of his character in my recent posts. A friend of mine had a rogue character with a sort of similar name and I had twisted them in my head. I have gone through and corrected my mistake. Sorry about that.

ahayford

First Post
Hey guys,

So its hard to believe this game has been going on as long as it has. Its taken me a little while to get a hang of pacing the game but I think I've got it more or less worked out at this point. I asked some questions a while ago about things you like/don't like about the game so I thought I'd take the pulse again (my temper tantrums about no responses not withstanding).

So, instead of writing a bunch of questions this time, I thought I'd just ask...

What do you like most about the game?

What do you like least about the game?

What do you think I should work on most to improve the game for you?

jkason

First Post

I think you're doing a great job of setting the scene / mood for each location. Your descriptive / narrative work is top notch, I think.

The orphanage stuff felt a bit dead-endy, but I've already admitted that open-ended investigation like that tends to be a bit weak point on my part.

I'm not sure that this is really an 'improvement' suggestion as much as a curiosity on my part, but I'm wondering if you've thought about accelerated leveling to counteract the general speed of PbP?

Dragonwriter

First Post

Definitely your descriptions and writing style. Evocative and engrossing, set the scene wonderfully. :)

Like jkason, I didn't care for the portion of investigation (which is a fault of the module, I'm sure). I tend to get a little paralyzed when it comes to such things, largely due to a fear of screwing it up. :p But it's definitely better now that we're getting into something to do, rather than figuring out the questions to ask.

Nothing that comes to mind for right now... But looking to the future, I'll parrot jkason. Have you thought of how you want to handle advancement, XP and levels?

Remove ads