• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Theocracy (recruitment closed to those posted)

Shayuri

First Post
Darkness creates an area of artificial shadowy illumination.

If we're in a lighted area, like torches and so on, it makes a weird gloomy area. If we're in an area of darkness, like at night outside of torches, it perversely creates a weird -lighter- area than the surroundings.

It's a very visible effect...regardless of time of day.

fenixdown

First Post
Really? I always thought deeper (natural) darkness took precedence, or if anything that they'd combine. Can you point me to the part of the rules where you're seeing this?

Shayuri

First Post
It's a combination of the SRD description of the Darkness spell, and the official FAQ...

Don't have the quote ready, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

Though, as always, it might be best to wait to see the GM's interpretation before we delve too deeply into rules arcana. :)

fenixdown

First Post
Well, we've seen the GM's interpretation and I'm not going to argue with it. I just want to know for future reference.

I can't find anything in the FAQ or Rules of the Game, and the spell description itself isn't very helpful. All it says is that normal lights and light spells are incapable of brightening the area, but it doesn't say anything about existing darkness. It's supposed to 'radiate shadowy illumination', which to me sounds like 'radiating anti-light', as opposed to 'making everything in the area shadowy'. So I would think it would add to (not replace) existing darkness. Because, y'know, it would be weird to have a darkness spell make an area brighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads