• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Theandric Saga OOC

Sphynx

First Post
Of course I only seek a lesser one now in order to keep the non-standard Duration without having to raise the spell level. :p

I consider it more important (from a thematic point of view) that the spell work with the unique duration, than that the spell goes super-fast. However I also consider it more important that the speed be faster than 'rising smoke', than that I have the unique duration. I'm aiming for compromise here.

If Yair dictates that 'moves quickly' is defined as 'running speed', then there is no room for compromise, hence my previous question of how fast a base 15 would be, and then, how fast a base 10 would be.

I don't object to losing the unique duration, but I don't want to pass up the unique duration option if Yair agrees with me that 'moves quickly' would be closer to the speed a bird flies, and that a base of 10 would fit what I desired in my spell to begin with.

Personally I feel that 'Wield the Invisible Sling' is what is intended by the 'moves quickly', meaning about 40 MPH. If that is the case, then it's perfectly logical that a 'running speed' would fit perfectly at a Base of 10, which would not be all that different from the speed of a 'jump' that would be caused by "Gift of the Frog's Legs", except with a Duration of Concentration instead of Momentary. As a matter of fact, that's almost exactly what I seem to want, "Gift of the Frog's Legs" with a unique duration, and reduced target.

Sphynx

Nzld

First Post
Since you are bringing up specific spells to cite I'll have to wait till later to further respond. I do not have my book at work with me.

Last edited:

Nzld

First Post
Sphynx said:
If 4 is slow (and it is 4, not 5), and 15 is quick, then both 5 and 10 should be workable for something in-between.
Actually, that is incorrect. It is 5.

Level 3 states "Move a target slowly in one direction, as long as the surface can support its weight."

Level 4 states "Move a target slowly in any direction you please" and also "Move a target straight up, or in one direction over surfaces that cannot support it."

Level 5 then states "Move a target slowly in any direction you please, even if the target is unsupported."

The level 4 "move slowly in any direction" obviously builds upon the Level 3 parameter, in that the surface must be able to support the weight. Level 4 only allows unidirectional movement over non-supporting surfaces. It is not until level 5 that you can move freely (albeit slowly) over non-supporting surfaces. Since we are talking about flight, air, I think, qualifies as non-supporting.

Sphynx said:
Personally I feel that 'Wield the Invisible Sling' is what is intended by the 'moves quickly', meaning about 40 MPH. If that is the case, then it's perfectly logical that a 'running speed' would fit perfectly at a Base of 10, which would not be all that different from the speed of a 'jump' that would be caused by "Gift of the Frog's Legs", except with a Duration of Concentration instead of Momentary. As a matter of fact, that's almost exactly what I seem to want, "Gift of the Frog's Legs" with a unique duration, and reduced target.
I still don't know where you are getting the 40 MPH from, but I don't think you can compare "Wielding the Invisible Sling" to your flight spell and expect to justify base levels. The "sling" spell only moves an amount of material that could already be thrown by a person... it is not moving a person-size bulk.

As for "Gift of the Frog's Legs", how is that what you want? With an extended Duration, you would be able to make multiple jumps, not fly. This spell seems to support my position more than yours. That spell is Base 10 and only allows jumping in one direction (not flight). I don't see how you can justify a flight spell at the same base level.

MummyKitty

First Post
Nzld said:
MummyKitty,

Are you planning to post to the Charter thread anytime soon? :D
I've gotten a little sidetracked... should we work this out with the new players on board? Or will they be considered to join after we have this in place?

Sphynx

First Post
Nzld said:
As for "Gift of the Frog's Legs", how is that what you want? With an extended Duration, you would be able to make multiple jumps, not fly. This spell seems to support my position more than yours. That spell is Base 10 and only allows jumping in one direction (not flight). I don't see how you can justify a flight spell at the same base level.

"Gift of the Frog Legs" is Flight with a duration of 'Momentary', and you can only go roughly 1-direction in a 'Moment'. The additional descriptions are purely for theme. ReCo moves the body, doesn't alter your legs to that of a Frog. Changing it from Momentary to Concentration doesn't give multiple jumps, it increases the duration you're mobile (Rego).

How it helps in the discussion:

Spell: Move target about 20 paces in 1 turn (Base 10, or 4 times the distance you could Teleport at the same Base, seems fair)

Adds an Additional ability of allowing up to a 10 second delay before you are required to begin your move. Additional Cost: +0 Magnitude

Adds an additional Duration After the Momentary, so that you can land without harm (assuming you make a Dexterity+Encumberance roll of +0) long after the Momentary has passed. Additional Cost: +0 Magnitude

So, basically, turning this spell into Concentration Duration, one should be able to move at least 20 feet per turn, and after the spell has ended, be able to land without harm (assuming you make a Dexterity+Encumberance roll of +0).

Altering the 'Touch' to 'Personal', and changing 'Momentary' to 'Concentration', and we have almost exactly what I want, except I'm paying +1 Magnitude higher (which should cover any odd-ball mechanics to insure the spell works as desired)

Sphynx

Last edited:

Nzld

First Post
Sphynx said:
"Gift of the Frog Legs" is Flight with a duration of 'Momentary', and you can only go roughly 1-direction in a 'Moment'. The additional descriptions are purely for theme. ReCo moves the body, doesn't alter your legs to that of a Frog. Changing it from Momentary to Concentration doesn't give multiple jumps, it increases the duration you're mobile (Rego).

How it helps in the discussion:

Spell: Move target about 20 paces in 1 turn (Base 10, or 4 times the distance you could Teleport at the same Base, seems fair)

Adds an Additional ability of allowing up to a 10 second delay before you are required to begin your move. Additional Cost: +0 Magnitude

Adds an additional Duration After the Momentary, so that you can land without harm (assuming you make a Dexterity+Encumberance roll of +0) long after the Momentary has passed. Additional Cost: +0 Magnitude

So, basically, turning this spell into Concentration Duration, one should be able to move at least 20 feet per turn, and after the spell has ended, be able to land without harm (assuming you make a Dexterity+Encumberance roll of +0).

Altering the 'Touch' to 'Personal', and changing 'Momentary' to 'Concentration', and we have almost exactly what I want, except I'm paying +1 Magnitude higher (which should cover any odd-ball mechanics to insure the spell works as desired)

Sphynx
Wow!

Just, Wow!

Your logic is too asinine to argue with.

Sphynx

First Post
Ok, I honestly have no idea why that deragatory comment came out. Why do you call it 'asinine' (and I thought we were having a pretty darn civil discussion here, not some sort of heated debate or anything).

Seriously, at least tell me what logic is so off here, please. Like I said before, if the boss man says 'No', I'm ok without the unique duration, but it seems to me that there is clear evidence to indicate that it's not only plausable, but that there's a spell that uses it at +0 Magnitude already.

Sphynx

Yair

Community Supporter
Enough!

I accept Base 5 for slow-moving (smoke-rising) flight and Base 15 for fast-moving (bird's speed) flight. Base 10 remains a lacuna, offering no improvement in regards to flight. This is how I see the rules, and in my saga these are the rules. Even if I'm wrong.
Adding a soft landing requires a +1 magnitude modifier.
My decision is final.

Sphynx, if you insist on having both great speed and an easy landing you will have to learn the level 25 spell. Sorry.

Nzld, bad form. Very, very, very bad form. :mad:
Read the forum rules.
For the record, I was almost convinced by Sphynx's argument. It certainly isn't asinine. I decided to rule as I did because of other arguments, not because of any flaws in his.

Not a good feeling I'm having right now.

Sphynx

First Post
I'm ok with losing the added duration (Though I -could- afford to get a level 25 spell, but only by min-maxxing to get an Affinity Rego, which seems wrong). Any thoughts on the House changes Yair?

Yair

Community Supporter
Sphynx said:
I'm ok with losing the added duration (Though I -could- afford to get a level 25 spell, but only by min-maxxing to get an Affinity Rego, which seems wrong). Any thoughts on the House changes Yair?
None yet. I'll think about it this evening, before making more posts. Once I've chilled.

Remove ads