• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E They Broke Arcane Archer!!!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you had any concept of the resources it took to make XGE, you'd be praising WotC for practically giving the book away at $50 and you wouldn't be complaining about a couple of minor typos.

Fake news and spin much?

Trying to suggest that they are doing anything other than making money on the book can't really be categorized as anything else can it?

G

Guest 6801328

Fake news and spin much?

Trying to suggest that they are doing anything other than making money on the book can't really be categorized as anything else can it?

Sure, Hasbro shareholders are in it for the money.

But you know that the people on the D&D team...especially the proofreaders and playtesters...are not paid exorbitant salaries. They are doing it largely for love the game. It's just childish to denigrate their efforts as "lazy."

GameOgre

Adventurer
panic-attack-lg.jpg 177517141.jpg anger-management-1058x426.jpg

oh,a typo? Really? Fixed already? Well,ok like. Let me keep reading then........

Sacrosanct

Legend
I have never played in an AL game where someone would look at that and say you can't use the ability until 7th level. Never. And not even close. In fact, I've played in AL games where there were homebrew elements included. I think people are confusing "AL official" with "Literally word for word with no DM rulings allowed, no matter what, even if it's an obvious typo."

Tell you what, someone, anyone, play an arcane archer in AL and if a DM says you don't get the power until 7th level end stop, then I'll think this is a problem worth complaining about. Otherwise, it seems like throwing a fit over a non-issue that doesn't happen.

neogod22

Explorer
I have never played in an AL game where someone would look at that and say you can't use the ability until 7th level. Never. And not even close. In fact, I've played in AL games where there were homebrew elements included. I think people are confusing "AL official" with "Literally word for word with no DM rulings allowed, no matter what, even if it's an obvious typo."

Tell you what, someone, anyone, play an arcane archer in AL and if a DM says you don't get the power until 7th level end stop, then I'll think this is a problem worth complaining about. Otherwise, it seems like throwing a fit over a non-issue that doesn't happen.
Good for you

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Sure, Hasbro shareholders are in it for the money.

But you know that the people on the D&D team...especially the proofreaders and playtesters...are not paid exorbitant salaries. They are doing it largely for love the game. It's just childish to denigrate their efforts as "lazy."

Love the changing stories. Sometimes y'all call them professionals. Other times you wanna call them little more than volunteers. Whatever perspective suits your preconceived reality right?

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I honestly just homebrewed my own version. An arcane archer should be able to consistently do the thing it's named for. Magic arrows.

I agree. Even with the mistake corrected, I dislike the way the sub-class is executed, precisely because you get so few arcane shots. It's even worse if you miss, because than you've used one of your very limited uses. Personally, I would have given the arcane archer a kind of Eldritch blast type arrow cantrip or something, so they can cast very basic 'magical' arrows every turn.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I agree. Even with the mistake corrected, I dislike the way the sub-class is executed, precisely because you get so few arcane shots. It's even worse if you miss, because than you've used one of your very limited uses. Personally, I would have given the arcane archer a kind of Eldritch blast type arrow cantrip or something, so they can cast very basic 'magical' arrows every turn.

I have the same problem. I'm ok with AA being a figther archetype, but it feels more like the Seeker from 4e than the AA we've seen in previous editions; they feel more primal than arcane. I feel like the gunsmith archetype for the artificer UA does for a better AA ir refluffed, or even the horizon walker with all the ''arrow spells'' the ranger gets. I would have preferred an archetype that gave us different at-will action type to let the fighter do something different than ''use the Attack action'' every turn, like the gunsmith. Something like this:
lvl 3:
Master Fletcher: Gain prof with carpenter tools
Arcane Quiver: Can craft an arcane quiver with special leather and you can use it to craft +1 arrows (+2 at lvl 18). You craft 20 after a long rest, 10 after a short. Can replace the quiver for 30 gp worth of material.

lvl 7: Phasing Arrow: as an action, can shot an arrow that ignore 1/2 cover and deals +1d6 force (+1d6 every 2 lvl thereafter)

lvl 10: Hail of arrows: as an action, create a 15 ft cones of arrows. Dex-save or 2d6 (3d6 at 15, 4d6 at 18) force dmg.

lvl 15: Piercing shot: as an action, create a 5x30 ft line, Dex-save or 4d6 lightning dmg (6d6 at 18).

lvl 18: Exploding arrow: as an action, create a 30 radius blast, Dex-save or 4d8 fire damage.

This gives you alternate options for a fighter turn, instead of the classic ''attack and maybe pile another effect a few time per shot rest''. You can decide to use your fighter multi-attack if enemies are spread out or use a special shot when the battlefield allows it.

Remove ads