• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tidbits from PHB Viewing

Rechan

Adventurer
Bestopheles said:
Green is pretty nasty too. They have a poison attack, and if you get two poison counters you're out of the fight (can not attack) until you get unpoisoned.
That's odd. "out of the fight" is supposed to be something that 4e is against as a design principle. No save or dies, or save and "you're out for the fight".

A'koss

Explorer
Rechan said:
That's odd. "out of the fight" is supposed to be something that 4e is against as a design principle. No save or dies, or save and "you're out for the fight".
I think the principle was no "one-shot" wonders, but we already knew you could be turned to stone for example (from the beholder interview) - just that it wasn't immediate and so someone has a chance to intervene before you're out of the fight. I'm guessing that in the green dragon's case, epic level characters probably have strong countermeausures to being poisoned...

Fanaelialae

Legend
Rechan said:

I believe it is actually against instant and irrevocable out of fight effects (3.x death spells, petrification, and to a lesser extent Hold spells, for example). I'm fairly certain I read in one of the designer blogs that he set his players up against some petrification traps that, over the course of a few rounds, almost petrified one of the characters.

Kaodi

Hero
I would be interested to know if there are any options for a cleric based on charisma. When we restart our game at the end of the summer when the DM gets back from doing some graduate work at the far end of the country, we are going to be looking at if we can rebuild our Age of Worms game for 4th Edition. I have a lawful evil cleric of Vathris (probably unaligned now, I guess) with good intelligence (14), wisdom(15+1) and charisma(16) who might make more sense as a lower wisdom character. Hell, depending on if there are no paragon paths that make sense for him, he might even multiclass as a paladin.

Last edited:

Cirex

First Post
Ydobon said:
In that case, how are ability scores generated?

Some array is default, point-buy and 4d6 roll are alternatives. There's more information in either this thread or the other one.

Bestopheles said:
Humans - Broken again, (they get a bonus at will power from their class, a bonus feat and a bonus skill).

Humans... "broken"?

*looks at his human character in his ongoing playtest campaign, looks at the other characters, laughs hysterically*

Sorry, but, uh... No. No, not even close. Humans are a solid choice, but they're hardly broken as compared to the other races.

malraux

First Post
Rechan said:
As others have mentioned, its no instant effects such that your character never even gets to roll initiative. And even being out of the fight with poison, you're still going to be doing something to get back in, rolling saves. And as we've seen, other classes can use abilities to give you extra saving throws.

bielmic

Explorer
portermj said:
Then we got hit with the Young Silver Dragon in Dungeons of Dread, the second large silver in the DDM line. Apparently there is going to be a Huge Silver Dragon in Against the Giants, which would be the second Huge Silver in a row (of the Huge sets). Why did they waste so much space on the Metallics when they could have included minis from the 4th edition MM?

do you mean the aspect of bahamut? it's not technically a huge silver but obviously similar enough to be used as one (i use it that way!). i agree that they should focus on the chromatics. for all their talk about "no more only pro-PC monsters", they've apparently only included the chromatics (the traditional encounter dragons) in the MM and should support them as such. that being said, i'm glad they're making a huge white. in case we don't switch over to 4th edition, i'd still like all the chromotics from small or medium (whatever they start at in 3/3.5) to huge.

Remove ads