• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tidbits from PHB Viewing

thalmin

Retired game store owner
tecnowraith said:
Did you get to see what the class progression is like? Are there any dead levels for class features, not powers? Like what do the classes get per level in features?
I didn't get particulars, but most levels each class gets either a new feat or an additional power of some sort. (This was off a big chart covering character levels. It also showed stat bonuses, BAB, and defense adjustments, I think)

pweent

Explorer
tecnowraith said:
Did you get to see what the class progression is like? Are there any dead levels for class features, not powers? Like what do the classes get per level in features?

I'll be surprised if there are any class features after first level. I expect class features are all received at first level, and subsequent levels are taken care of solely by powers. I'd throw in a disclaimer that you might get new class features at the start of Paragon and Epic tiers, but on thinking about it for a bit, I think not - at Paragon tier, you get features from your chosen paragon path. And at Epic tier, who knows?

(Hey, the books are almost out - this might be my last chance to go out on a limb and then be proven wrong!)

Xeviat

Hero
We know that Rogue's sneak attack gets better at 11th and 21st level, so you might be right about getting some new toys at paragon and epic. I see other things scaling too (I'm under the assumption the paladin gets more Lay on Hands each day, since the power says it is at will but then has a special note saying it can only be used once per day ... I think it's 1/day/level).

And thank you for these tidbits. As my friends will tell you, I've been talking about nothing but 4E for the last couple of months and it needs to end.

PS: I like that :1: :2: :3: :4: :5: :6: :bmelee: :melee: :ranged: :close: and :area: are symbols for us here now. Sweet.

PPS: First post!

Valdrax

First Post
pukunui said:
EDIT: I'd really love to know more about the section on religion in the PHB. Thalmin, I know you said you didn't get to look at it closely, but maybe somebody else did? You said there were no evil gods. Does that mean that gods like Bane and Tiamat aren't in the PHB? Or does it mean that they're not evil? Are there any good gods or are they all self-serving Greco-Roman style deities?
Seconded. I'm kind of confused by this. Does that mean that neither Lloth or Gruumsh are in the books? I can't imagine either deity as Unaligned.

Also, anything you remember on Warlock pact fluff / stylistic differences. (The Doomsayer Paragon Path hints that fear will be a major theme of the Star Pact, and the powers of the DDXP Warlock make me conjecture that movement and charm are primary abilities ot the Fey Pact, but any more info you can share would be nice.

Valdrax said:
Seconded. I'm kind of confused by this. Does that mean that neither Lloth or Gruumsh are in the books? I can't imagine either deity as Unaligned.

Also, anything you remember on Warlock pact fluff / stylistic differences. (The Doomsayer Paragon Path hints that fear will be a major theme of the Star Pact, and the powers of the DDXP Warlock make me conjecture that movement and charm are primary abilities ot the Fey Pact, but any more info you can share would be nice.
I wouldn't be surprised if 4E assumes good (or unaligned at worst) PCs, and they presented only non-evil deities in the PHB, leaving the evil ones to the DMG or MM.

Xeviat said:
I see other things scaling too (I'm under the assumption the paladin gets more Lay on Hands each day, since the power says it is at will but then has a special note saying it can only be used once per day ... I think it's 1/day/level).

Lay Hands is Wisdom Bonus / Day.

Bestopheles

First Post
Yeah, honestly people have posted everything I noticed about the half elf powers. When I first looked at their description my thought was "wow, that's too short"...but they do seem to have roughly the same number of abilities. And don't forget...there are some cool at will abilities too, even if it's only once an encounter.

Re: storm giant...no more specifi info at the moment unfortunately...I was really flipping through the MM fast, and mainly spent the time on the PC monster races.

DonAdam

Explorer
I hope Lolth and Gruumsh are demons, not gods.

Edit: Nevermind, says Gruumsh is a god in the orc MM entry.

Last edited:

Cirex

First Post
Bestopheles said:
Yeah, honestly people have posted everything I noticed about the half elf powers. When I first looked at their description my thought was "wow, that's too short"...but they do seem to have roughly the same number of abilities. And don't forget...there are some cool at will abilities too, even if it's only once an encounter.

Re: storm giant...no more specifi info at the moment unfortunately...I was really flipping through the MM fast, and mainly spent the time on the PC monster races.

I'll be burned for this, but any idea what is Drow's special power?

Remove ads