Top ten Non-US tv shows

Zardnaar

Legend
Watched it again about two years ago

Yeah it was about then we did a rewatch. It's on Amazon here.

Young Ones isn't very good now imho, Red Dwarf still awesome 13 seasons on Freeview here. New Statesman is almost a documentary, Bottoms very very crude.

Satire or documentary?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
“Middle class” is a vastly broader spectrum than that. Not that that term has meant anything in decades. I’d say I’m middle class, but I’ve never baked anything in a tent. It’s a very nostalgic version of like the 1930s projected into modern day as “British”. It’s like us watching The Unrouchables.
yeah I dont dispute that at all, but do observe that theres been a huge upswing of Londoners moving out to the commuter towns in Surrey and the Cotswalds, choosing a quieter rural life without losing their wifi and easy access to the city. They might even try to cook their own scones and muffins

MarkB

Legend
Star Cops was, for me, an underrated gem. A police procedural in space, with a surprisingly hard SF approach (seriously, it's up there with 2001 and The Expanse in realistic treatment of spaceships and space-based environments despite its BBC effects budget), very cold-war era politics and a general sense that government corruption and incompetence is universal regardless of nationality.

I also agree Condor Heroes is good, one of the things Netflix can be thanked for is giving so much exposure to Sageuk and Wuxia drama
Do they have many C Dramas on Netflix these days? I remember a lot of K dramas on there before, but usually had to buy the C dramas or watch them on Viki

I think gamers would generally find these kinds of series very good. They might especially like some of the more supernatural shows (a lot of the wuxia is pretty grounded but there are series that blend that with a higher level of the supernatural).

Just to give people an idea of what these shows are like if they haven't seen them, these are the opening themes with clips of the Condor Heroes series across several eras (from 83 to 2006). I think the opening music is also a big draw for me:

I love this one because it tells a wuxia story across three generations or so (the first book in the trilogy has recently been translated into English but you can also find them all in fan translation---I did a read through of Return of Condor Heroes on my podcast at one point using a fan translation). The resolution on some of them aren't great but they look good if you have the physical media or find them on a solid platform (sometimes they are on youtube as well but with varying amounts of translated subs). These are a nice blend of martial arts action, adventure and drama. Lots of inspiration for RPG campaigns in these too

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In no particular order:

Doctor Who
Apparitions
Coupling
Space 1999
The Prisoner
Being Human
Monty Python
Young Ones
Father Ted
Father Brown
Red Green
Kids in the Hall
Midsomer Murders
The Man from UNCLE
Unforgotten
Absolutely Fabulous
Red Dwarf
Later…with Jools Holland
Bletchley Circle
Luther
Line of Duty
Death in Paradise

Ressurection: Ertugal (Turkey)
This should come with a warning... roughly a 100 episodes a season.
If you're familiar with long format episodes of some foreign countries this should not be a concern. Netflix spliced the original episodes of Resurrection: Ertugrul into your usual western length size episodes.

Remove ads