• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Panel at PAX East Today

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cloudkill.

Bk9YRuRIcAE-55g.jpg

Halivar

First Post
IMO, expect a product like GoDSC, the basic rules with an adventure attached.
Someone (I forget who) suggested in another thread that this could be exactly how D&D5 is incarnated; as adventures with embedded rules. It would be completely unconventional, but preferable, IMHO, to the adventure-lite crunch bloat of 3.X and 4E.

I say this as someone who has little interest in published adventures, too. But I do recognize their importance to the health of a ruleset.

EDIT: Further thoughts; if WotC goes hard and heavy on adventures, it could be a sign that they are ready to go after the adventure market that Paizo owns lock, stock, and barrel right now. It would take some serious quality for WotC to compete in this space, and I'm seeing signs that they intend to take it seriously. For my part, GoDSC is WAY better than anything they produced for 4E. Time will tell.

Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle.

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Someone (I forget who) suggested in another thread that this could be exactly how D&D5 is incarnated; as adventures with embedded rules. It would be completely unconventional, but preferable, IMHO, to the adventure-lite crunch bloat of 3.X and 4E.

Oof, no thank you. How do you run a homebrew campaign in a system marketed like that?

I say this as someone who has little interest in published adventures, too. But I do recognize their importance to the health of a ruleset.

I don't see it. I've never seen it.

I think there should be a rule about coining five-letter acronyms from publications less than a year old.

Blackwarder

Adventurer

EDIT: Further thoughts; if WotC goes hard and heavy on adventures, it could be a sign that they are ready to go after the adventure market that Paizo owns lock, stock, and barrel right now. It would take some serious quality for WotC to compete in this space, and I'm seeing signs that they intend to take it seriously. For my part, GoDSC is WAY better than anything they produced for 4E. Time will tell.

There will be a PHB DMG and a MM but you won't need them to play one of the basic adventures, I I again that the basic adventure could be a method to highlight some of the optional rules, for example mass combat rules or aerial combat rules etc and all the optional modules will be gathered in an unearth arcana kind of a book.

Warder

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Never has a statement been so fascinating and yet so unhelpful.

You know, I was mostly kidding, figuring there would be more information forthcoming, but Dancey /really did/ drop this bomb and walk away.

::shakes tiny fist:: DANCEY!!!

Remove ads