D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Panel at PAX East Today

NewJeffCT

First Post
Why do these things keep showing up in Forbes?! Freaks me out!

My guess is that they have a few people there in positions of importance that used to be, or are, avid D&D players.

I know a few people that heard about D&D 3E back in 2000 from non-gaming magazines or non-gaming online sources. "Hey Jeff, do you remember playing D&D back in high school in the 80s? I just saw this article how they're putting a new version out next month..." I know a few old friends that mentioned that to me back in 2000 that hadn't gamed in years. I'm sure something like this is to maybe see if they can go outside the normal channels.

Nagol

Unimportant
Could you elaborate? I didn't really see much in the article at all.

From the ad said:
...will be a transmedia experience.” We’ll see parts of the story not only in the tabletop RPG, but in the organized play program, in the Neverwinter MMO, and in other outlets Perkins can’t talk about yet

<snip>

We’re thinking of Dungeons & Dragons as an entertainment experience across multiple platforms” that will move from story to story fluidly… so a plotline might start in the organized play games and finish in a published module.

So each media gets to see/participate in a sliver? Gee I want that. No wait, no I don't.

fjw70

Adventurer
My guess is that they have a few people there in positions of importance that used to be, or are, avid D&D players.

I know a few people that heard about D&D 3E back in 2000 from non-gaming magazines or non-gaming online sources. "Hey Jeff, do you remember playing D&D back in high school in the 80s? I just saw this article how they're putting a new version out next month..." I know a few old friends that mentioned that to me back in 2000 that hadn't gamed in years. I'm sure something like this is to maybe see if they can go outside the normal channels.

I didn't play RPGs at all between 1989 and 2007 but I did hear about when 3e was released (but I don't recall how I heard about it). I even picked up the 3e PH when it came out.

fjw70

Adventurer
So each media gets to see/participate in a sliver? Gee I want that. No wait, no I don't.

Okay, I can see why that is undesirable. I am only interested in RPG home game myself. I don't really care about organized play, comic books, online games, etc. I may read a novel if I am really into the story but generally I don't read D&D novels.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not to call you on the carpet, but are you seriously suggesting that this panel was in any way and by any interpretation better than a panel that actually told us something about the core rules of D&D Next and their impending release? Because if you are, I don't believe you. Straight up. Wisdom save to disbelieve, natural 20.

Tell you what - you want to call me a liar, do it in a PM. Or better yet, take the personal attacks somewhere else. There is no reason for that - flat out, not cool.

For me, I really wanted to see some art from this panel (because that's what the panel description mentioned it would be about), and we got that, and I am liking what I see. For me - that's awesome. I get that you wanted to see something else - do you get your opinion isn't universal, and telling me if my opinion is not the same as yours I must be lying is really insulting?

Ew, ENWorlders. I hear they smell like Marmite and elitism.

:)

Did you forget where you were posting, or do you not consider yourself an EnWorlder?

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Getting my home group to do a Dread or Fiasco or FATE one-shot is pretty easy. Because those games are so different, not being fantasy.

Getting them to play D&D5 when they're pretty happy with Pathfinder will be trickier.
Plus, getting to GenCon lets me play D&D5 instead of just running it, which will be my lot even if they do switch.

OK, cool. Those are all fair points.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun, and you will be able to play lots of 5e.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Tell you what - you want to call me a liar, do it in a PM. Or better yet, take the personal attacks somewhere else. There is no reason for that - flat out, not cool.

You're right, of course, and I'm sorry. I intended the tone of my post to be more "I don't think you really mean that," than "You are a filthy, filthy liar," but I could have drawn the lines a lot more clearly.

Did you forget where you were posting, or do you not consider yourself an EnWorlder?

Wait, you mean you don't smell like Marmite and elitism?

...It can't just be me.

...Guys?

Derren

Hero
Seems like WotC is going all in with DDN when they pull out DRAGONS! this early (they said in the past every book with "Dragon" in the title sells better).

It might be a bit too early considering the reaction around here. But it shouldn't be a surprise that another RSE happens this soon as WotC seems to want to reverse all the changes 4E introduced to the Realms and then start off with a bang. But will this be accepted better? I am no expert, especially of the 4E Realms but that ragtag band of villains sounds a bit strange. I can't imagine what they would have in common and why they want to free Tiamat anyway. And them having the power to besiege several major cities in the Realms? Sounds a bit unlikely.

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Seems like WotC is going all in with DDN when they pull out DRAGONS! this early (they said in the past every book with "Dragon" in the title sells better).

And for good reason!

I am no expert, especially of the 4E Realms but that ragtag band of villains sounds a bit strange. I can't imagine what they would have in common and why they want to free Tiamat anyway. And them having the power to besiege several major cities in the Realms? Sounds a bit unlikely.

I suspect the Tyranny of Dragons event is going to build on the framework that Neverwinter has put into place (multimedia!), with the Cult of the Dragon and Red Wizards colluding to produce armies of undead with dracolich artillery, which in turn will give them the fire- and manpower they lack.

Expect dragons, but expect dragons positively /swimming/ in zombies.

Remove ads