Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Introduces The Artifcer

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

Patrick McGill

First Post
I think a mechanist or alchemist class fits into a low magic setting just fine. Unique gadgets and trinkets that aren't simply magic items from the DMG would feel much better too me. Granted I'm not familiar with Ebberon, but i don't see why a gadgeteer must needs be high magic.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
An artificer class should make me feel like I'm playing Tony Stark. I think this fits the bill. I personally don't have firearms in my campaign, so refluffing the gunslinger into something else would be necessary for me, but I think it's easily doable.

unnatural 20

Explorer
But, I do find it odd, after all the hand-wringing over and reluctance to introduce missing full classes, to see one put forth for a fairly specific and Ebberon-originated concept ('Gunsmith' seems to put it in that sort of fantasy-steampunk milieu, too). Maybe Eberon's in the offing?

I do hope so! Though, per canon, there are no guns in Eberron.

fuindordm

Adventurer
If you have a setting where magic items aren't that common then I wouldn't include the artificer as a playable class since I see it as a class for a world like Eberron where magical items are relatively common. For other worlds, I'd restrict it. I probably wouldn't include the artificer in my current setting, it doesn't really have a place in it.

Very true.

Just to add my personal spin on your comment:

Does a low-magic-item campaign have to be low magic generally? No, of course not. By the same token, a low magic campaign doesn't have to be low-magic-item, if spellcasting is a more difficult skill than crafting fetishes, totems, or devices. After all, collecting and mixing ingredients could be considered less taxing mentally than imposing one's raw will on the universe--it all depends on your point of view for how magic works.

If I am running a low-magic setting then I would prefer to allow just one type of arcane caster. It could be the artficer--why not--but in that case I might not allow any other arcane classes at all.

That could be interesting, actually: arcanes are artificers, divines are clerics, and no other spellcasting classes at all--that feels a bit steampunky to me.

Cheers,
Ben

lkj

Hero
Yeah. I had an initial curiosity, but I suspected that they did the math. In fact, I think Mearls has said as much now in response to someone on his twitter feed.

AD

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That could be interesting, actually: arcanes are artificers, divines are clerics, and no other spellcasting classes at all--that feels a bit steampunky to me.
I'd probably go with warlocks for divine/obviously supernatural instead, but yea, I do like that feel.

Remove ads

Remove ads