• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Introduces The Artifcer

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

Patrick McGill

First Post
I think a mechanist or alchemist class fits into a low magic setting just fine. Unique gadgets and trinkets that aren't simply magic items from the DMG would feel much better too me. Granted I'm not familiar with Ebberon, but i don't see why a gadgeteer must needs be high magic.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
An artificer class should make me feel like I'm playing Tony Stark. I think this fits the bill. I personally don't have firearms in my campaign, so refluffing the gunslinger into something else would be necessary for me, but I think it's easily doable.

unnatural 20

Explorer
But, I do find it odd, after all the hand-wringing over and reluctance to introduce missing full classes, to see one put forth for a fairly specific and Ebberon-originated concept ('Gunsmith' seems to put it in that sort of fantasy-steampunk milieu, too). Maybe Eberon's in the offing?

I do hope so! Though, per canon, there are no guns in Eberron.

fuindordm

Adventurer
If you have a setting where magic items aren't that common then I wouldn't include the artificer as a playable class since I see it as a class for a world like Eberron where magical items are relatively common. For other worlds, I'd restrict it. I probably wouldn't include the artificer in my current setting, it doesn't really have a place in it.

Very true.

Just to add my personal spin on your comment:

Does a low-magic-item campaign have to be low magic generally? No, of course not. By the same token, a low magic campaign doesn't have to be low-magic-item, if spellcasting is a more difficult skill than crafting fetishes, totems, or devices. After all, collecting and mixing ingredients could be considered less taxing mentally than imposing one's raw will on the universe--it all depends on your point of view for how magic works.

If I am running a low-magic setting then I would prefer to allow just one type of arcane caster. It could be the artficer--why not--but in that case I might not allow any other arcane classes at all.

That could be interesting, actually: arcanes are artificers, divines are clerics, and no other spellcasting classes at all--that feels a bit steampunky to me.

Cheers,
Ben

lkj

Hero
Yeah. I had an initial curiosity, but I suspected that they did the math. In fact, I think Mearls has said as much now in response to someone on his twitter feed.

AD

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That could be interesting, actually: arcanes are artificers, divines are clerics, and no other spellcasting classes at all--that feels a bit steampunky to me.
I'd probably go with warlocks for divine/obviously supernatural instead, but yea, I do like that feel.

Remove ads

Remove ads