Werewolf by Night - spoiler thread

pukunui

Legend
I'm a graphic designer myself. There's definitely something there.

I know that there is a tendency for some designers to take the easy route by tweaking someone else's work and hoping no one will notice. You can get away with that for run-of-the-mill work for small businesses and stuff that will mostly fly under the radar, but doing it with more high profile work is a lot riskier.

I wonder if the poster was done in-house or was done by an agency or freelancer. In any case, I expect Disney / Marvel will be asking some hard questions.

I'm not sure that the piece the Marvel work is being compared to is itself original. I seem to recall very similar werewolf images at least as far back as the 1980s.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original image came from a 1970s Marvel comic, and someone who did something based on the same image is trying to make a quick buck.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Similarity doesn't mean theft. It means there's a fairly standard way of viewing the head of a wolf. The number of times that I've seen an image similar to that one are innumerable. I've seen people with tattoos that looked like that 30 years ago. Does that mean the artist who is claiming that Marvel ripped off his work in turn ripped off the tattoos that I saw?

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
I'd like my 55 minutes back.
I have a soft spot for those old Universal monster movies from the 1930s and 40s, so I enjoyed this one well enough though I can't say I want any more. As a consolation prize, please take a look at this Giant-Size Man Thing.

Man-Things.JPG

MGibster

Legend
It didnt look good back in the 70s either which is why Ullyses Bloodstone was shown befriending Adam Frankenstein and hired a Vampire lawyer. Then his titile got cancelled and essentially replaced by the Legion of Monsters (which includes both Jack the Werewolf and Man-Thing).
I don't know if it was so much about it being a bad look as it was about monster hunting becoming a little stale. So why not mix it up with monsters who are good? These days, it's kind of a cliche for the monster to actually be the good guy. I think one of the reason I liked Hocus Pocus more than a man my age should is because the witches were actually evil and not misunderstood or persecuted.

Remove ads