What happened to Cyre?

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know for folks who are running Eberron campaigns: do you have your own explanation for how Cyre was destroyed, and what is it (if it isn't still a secret).

Kunimatyu

First Post
In my game, Cyre was destroyed when Cyre's artificers created a 'coterminality device' that could create or sever connections (not portals, just areas of influence) between the Material Plane and other planes. It was originally intended as a war machine -- connect an enemy city to the plane of negative energy, sever Sharn's connection with the plane of air and cause the towers to fall, etc etc. However, due to unknown factors, the device was activated at maximum strength, creating a giant coterminous region with Mabar, the Plane of Endless Night.

In my game, five years after that, some vengeful followers of the Silver Flame -- who were tricked by a rakshasa -- built another one within Sharn. It was eventually activated, destroying the city, but not before one the original artificers attempt to restore the connection, with disastrous results. The connection with Syrania was not fixed, but a strong connection to Dolurrh, Plane of the Dead, was created, aided by the deaths of thousands of Sharn's citizens. Now a considerable portion of the city was raised as undead, and Sharn is now known as Towersfell.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Everyone turned their hair dryers on at the same time :)

Honestly, I don't know yet. It'll probably have something to do with the Dragon Prophecy, since that's been a big part of the game so far, but it may also have something to do with giving the warforged consciousness (since that's the riff of the guy most interested in going there).

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The Mournlands in my game is literally a cacotopia, an evil place created by the bleeding over of Xoriat's influence into Eberron. How this planar seepage occured is still up in the air, although I am of the opinion of a Cyran weapon gone hideously awry.

Demiurge out.

Jubilee

First Post
I am playing a cyran ex-patriot in an Eberron game and she is trying to uncover the cause of (punish the people responsible for) the Mourning. She suspects that a well-intentioned person within Cyre was trying to create a protective spell/artifact for Cyre and his or her efforts were subverted by an outside force (probably karrnath) or there was a group of wizards and one of them was a bad egg. She also now has reason to believe that there is some connection between Xen'drik & the Mournlands, but she's not high enough level to explore either to ascertain the truth of the info she's uncovered. :)

Kugar

First Post
A warforged liberation force assulted an underground and highly experimental Creation Forge in the Whitehurst (sp) facility. Guess who the leader of that task force was. :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
DreadPirateMurphy said:
...do you have your own explanation for how Cyre was destroyed, and what is it (if it isn't still a secret).

The prince didn't pay his mortgage on time. :)

My explanation was that an unknown party using an unknown device pulled a planar shift a la the Dal Quor/giants fiasco, only with the plane of Dolurrh and the nation of Cyre. It opened the PERMANENT MANIFEST ZONE FROM HELL on Cyre's boundaries, which explains the devastation, the undying bodies, the lack of healing, etc. This means that Dolurrh's cyclic interface with Eberron was altered four years ago to a different pattern, which no one picked up on until the adventurers of the campaign discovered it. An artifact (known as Kharaam's Fire) was discovered that could concentrate planar energies and deliver them in a concentrated blast form; the BBEG of the campaign sought to use the Mournland as his concentration point, and pull another Mournland on all of Eberron.

Len

Prodigal Member
According to notes we found in a laboratory in Metrol, my character's aunt was trying to develop a magical weapon for the Cyran military, and one of her experiments went wrong. Now she's at it again.

Whisper72

Explorer
Well, since the effect is limited to the national borders of Cyre, to me the most logical type of event is a defensive 'shield' effect created by mages and artificers gone terribly wrong. Why it went wrong is still up in the air, but the blood of vol or worshipers of the dragon below are pretty much top of the list for the villains...

Remove ads