Xanathar Previews: Random Encounters & Character Names

I really thought people would have found this interesting. I noticed Mehen's name.

I really thought people would have found this interesting.

I noticed Mehen's name.

Why are random wilderness encounters based on the PCs' level? I guess I can see it, if it's supposed to represent something like settled lands vs wandering off to the Far Glacier. That's not how it reads, though. Wilderness encounters are one area where a low-level character should absolutely be able to screw themselves if they just start walking into the unknown.
If it was just a generic single chart for levels 1-20, the chances of getting a level appropriate encounter would be, what, 10%? 20%? 80% of the time you'd either be running, negotiating, or just facerolling over an easy fight.

Having 2-4 different charts increases the odds of having a fight that is somewhat fun and not just a speedbump or TPK waiting to happen. Both are still a possibility, but no longer the norm.

ddaley

Explorer
I really don't get the complaint. You are free to roll on any table you like. It isn't like they are saying you are restricted to rolling on a table that is appropriate for your players. To me, it is good that they grouped encounters roughly by difficulty level.

Why are random wilderness encounters based on the PCs' level? I guess I can see it, if it's supposed to represent something like settled lands vs wandering off to the Far Glacier. That's not how it reads, though. Wilderness encounters are one area where a low-level character should absolutely be able to screw themselves if they just start walking into the unknown.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Yeah.. I don't get the level complaint either. I'd much rather have tables with level ranges than just tables of enemies that I'd have to go look up and actually see how hard they were before I even decided to think about putting them in the game. I don't see how more easily accessible information is bad.. but ok. If you want high level monsters all over the world then..go for it. Infact you can use that nifty level aspect in the chart reference to gauge how hard it'll actually be. Pretty handy I'd say. So im pretty sure you can use whatever you want whenever you want, I don't think the police will come and arrest you for using higher level monsters in a particular area for whatever reason.

Vileo Sufora

First Post
If you're that worried about the level-based tables, then roll a d4 with your d100 to determine which table/tier your d4 relates to. Done. No need to cause a stink. There's no wrong way to play the game.

A beholder crime lord in Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms iirc. I've never played in the setting but I've read quite a bit about the Realms. Xanathar's Guide is rather like the Volos books about the setting I gather. I preordered it, so we'll see.

Remove ads

Remove ads