(YB3) Prelimary Rules (Comments and Criticism Wanted Please?)

Kalanyr

Explorer
Oh and Mithreandor I'm just so happy/stunned to see someone reading posting here that I don't have the conscious thought left to yell at you. I hope you hang around.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kal, the last thing I intended was the need to re-write the paths you guys had already come up with. Was there something inherently unbalancing to some paths in dealing with this knock-out thing that I didn't see?

I saw this as more of an add-on to what was already there, not a new base to build the rules atop of. I only hope that the reason you'd rather change what's already done is that my idea sparked some good interest or ideas for you. Who knows, maybe this much of a change could be a good thing for YB though. Make it not so like the earlier versions. Is that a good thing? Hopefully.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. I'm tired. Just not used to people jumping at my ideas like that. Back when YB2 was being worked up and I suggested things, it never went well, I felt.

Gotta run. C-ya in the chat rooms hopefully now that I have MIRC again.

Kalanyr

Explorer
It has a few minor problems, as things stand certain paths at higher tiers (mystic and honour specifically) were quiet capable of delivering 1 round knockouts, which puts the defense paths at a disadvantage since their powers tend to be 1 per round, reduce damage things.

Rathan

First Post
hmmm... why can't we give at tier 1 2+1 life points... and not give any to tier two then give one to tier 3 and on up..... or something to this effect.. thus making it harder of a mystic to knock-out in the first round of a fight even at lower tiers..... I think it may solve this problem Kal had... I'm sure you and Phoenix will be able to figure something out as I like this idea alot... and may encourage more board fights as it may make them shorter if played right.... I like this idea quite a bit and would like to see it put into place.. somehow..I'm will to help work it into the new rules if need be.. :D

Last edited:

Mithreander

Explorer
THanks for the encouragement all.

Now, on to Mythe's Dumb question of the day:

You mention paths, and I think I saw something about them in the faq, but the descriptions was pretty ambigious (to me, being like a child, at any rate), so can you point me to more infomration on this aspect of the game?

I'll certainly create a character as soon as I'm confident that someone will except a challenge... heck, I'll create on now, for the heck of it, to see how it goes.

Cheers, and thanks again for not dissingg this newbie.

Phoenix8008

First Post
The Paths for the current rules are Light, Honor, Sash, Yakuza, and Dark. For the new rules as posted above, the Paths will be Mystic, Warrior, Aristocrat, Clansman, and Acolyte.

These are the paths which a character follows as he progresses in power. Once you win your first fight, you choose a path to follow and further wins advance you along that path to having more powers and such.

Mithreander (I feel like I should know that name, but I'm not sure where from), don't worry about asking questions. We are more than happy to explain stuff in exchange for you being here to share the game with us. We all went through it when we started out too.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Mithreandor was one of the names Gandalf used, he used it during his stay in Gondor I think, I'm pretty sure it was Faramir who mentioned it.

And Rathan I'm not talking about 1 round wipe outs by higher tiers against lowers, I'm talking about high tier matches effectively becoming your Tier Rank Speed Matches, high tiers can dish out more damage in a round than 2+ Tier which is why high tier matches tend to have fairly heavy flag amounts, the life point mechanic as it currently stands bypasses this, which means it favours offense heavy paths since the defensive paths rely on outlasting their opponent. The offensive paths are already slightly more powerful than the defensive ones I think.

Mithreander

Explorer
Yup, a bastardisation of Gandulfs elven name, Mithrander, which was first used by the elves with Galadriel when they were morning the death of the Gray Wizard. The first time in the movie that it was heard was in Gondor, in the Return of the King.

I'll take a look to see if I understand any of it. If not, I'm sure I'll learn through experience.

Rini

First Post
Well hello there. It's been a long time, but Rathan gave me an email so I thought I'd drop by and at least see what's new. You should probably try to email Sabaron/Miriashi Iso too. The new paths look ok, but I don't know about the "ko" option. I would prefer to stick with flags because this keeps the playing field more even for lowwer tiers and people with high damage artifacts, which will probably be the aristocrats and the sashes. Since I believe there were complaints about the Sashs being "broken" in the first place, I feel I should agree with Kal about the defensive being at a disadvantage.

Oh, and any posting I do will probably be short... besides this one, I mean. And probably several others when I have more time.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Well, if the KO stuff is too powerful, then either forget about it or up the defensive powers to compensate. I never said the KO was balanced, I just threw it out as an idea without seeing the higher levels of the new paths and others have run with it. If it can't be made to work, then dump it. If it can be balanced then maybe it can be put into use. There is such a small base of players right now that even doing a vote on the issue is kinda difficult.

Remove ads