(YB3) Prelimary Rules (Comments and Criticism Wanted Please?)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Hi there, people *waves*

Everything looks good. Though I'd suggest to either do away with Stamina or whatever you want to call it, or make it something that happens when the Judge deems it approriate. Like when the winning move is 'The fist punches the nose' (okay, that's not possible, but I think you get where I'm going with this).

Oh, and you'd propably want to alphabetisize (is that a word?) the abilities, it's not exactly easy to try to determine where each ability is in that list.

Berandor

lunatic
Well, Rathan (months ago) asked me to come in, and I just suddenly remembered to look in for a quick glance.

All in all, you seem to have a very sophisticated system already. But I have to say, that what I liked most about YB was the casualness of of it all. It was great because you didn't need much explaining, or knowing of rules and tiers and so - you could just play. And if you wanted to do a different match (like me and Pielorinho facing off in a narrative description match, or when strategy matches came to), you just cleared that up with your opponent.
I think you should be able to take your fighter into any direction you want, without necessarily having any difference in power there. I'd give out signature styles, and that's probably all. But hey, I'm old, and reminiscent of the old times :) I just think a lot of people joined YB then was because they could just jump in, generate a move and fight.

Anyway, good luck to you. Perhaps if this gets going, I'll take another look at it. But probably, sadly, not.
And Heads up to the Old Ones (KDLadage, for example, and a lot of other users I got to really know was because of YB. When I read a post by Number47, or Wicht, I still reminisce a little about my YB characters (especially the Darkwalker, who had a rather colorful career :)).

Btw, KD (if you still read that), did you include the Darkwalker in the book you where considering to use him in? ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
A rare guest has a little question... :)

Kalanyr said:
Personal/Dojo Style: When you gain a Personal/Dojo style you may if not in a dojo pick a single style that then becomes a Personal Style and is in all ways identical to a signature style except that you may choose it. If you are the Dojo master you may choose any one of your students styles choosing which to use before a battle. If you are a student in a Dojo you may choose any of the Dojo masters signature styles or personal styles choosing which to use before a battle. If you are a dojo master and have no students this becomes a Personal Style. Likewise if you are a Dojo Master but all your students leave this becomes a Personal Style.Or if you are a Student and your Master changes paths or ceases to outrank you this allows you to pick from your Students Styles, if you have no students it instead becomes a Personal Style. If you are both a Master and a student you gain the slot as a Master. Other than as outlined above this slot cannot change its nature.

Personal/Clan Location: When you gain a Personal/Clan location and you are not in a dojo pick a single location that then becomes a Personal Location and is in all ways identical to a signature location except that you may choose it. If you are in a Clan you may choose any of the Clan Leader's signature locations or personal locations choosing which to use before a battle. If you are the Clan Leader you may choose any one of your clansmen's locations choosing which to use before a battle. If you are a Clan Leader and have no clansmen this becomes a Personal Location. Likewise if you are a Clan Leader but all your clansmen leave this becomes a Personal Location. Or if you are a Clansman and your Leader changes paths or ceases to outrank you this allows you to pick from your Clansmen's Location, if you have no students it instead becomes a Personal Location. If you are both a Leader and a student you gain the slot as a Leader.Other than as outlined above this slot cannot change its nature.

So, if I understand this correctly: You gain this style permanently, except:
If you are part of a dojo structure, you may set this style to one of a special list (Master's o Students' styles) once per match.
I assume that a Personal style/location cannot become a dojo style/location again? (Otherwise it seems there would be no Master's personal styles to choose from?)

Kalanyr and me came to an agreement on the Stamina Points issue.

Stamina points will serve as a sort of "Buffer" against multi-point attacks. Everyone will have SP = to their Tier +1. It'l basically absorb all flag damage beyond the first, until it runs out, at which point it simply runs out-you don't automatically lose. For example, if Kalanyr attacked Rathan with an attack that would normally give him 2 flags, and Rathan has 1 or more SP remaining, Kalanyr only gains 1 flag with Rathan losing 1 SP. If Rathan didn't have any SP remaining, then he would lose 2 flags instead as per normal.

Because of this change, Potions are items that rejuvenate SP, although there will be no more yellow or red cards. Many paths gain new abilities that might involve the sacrificing of SP. Acolytes, for instance, will gain an ability (currently undetermined) that they can only use when they have 0 SP. Stamina Points will basically add a simple statistic that will be critical to making the paths more varied and Yb3 more interesting.

Thus, the rules will be revised just a little bit-I think you'll all like it-and then Yb 3 will pretty much be ready to go out the door *crosses fingers*

**IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT**
Beyond Yb 3.0, we will be also starting the "YB Classic" Game, which will be much more simple-quick and easy to pick up and play in tradition with the original game. There's no reason why both games can't coexist in the same forum as the Fight Club was basically created for Yb.

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
wow..... I have to say.... that was an excellent way to handle how SP's work both of you... a job well done... I have no quams about it what so ever...... and might I add that the "Classic YB" game I think will turns some heads as well..... :D

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Great idea for the Stamina points! It keeps the essence of what I envisioned in the first place (blocking extra flag damage) without being an instant knock out thing. It'll slow the fights down a little and keep those instant wins from happening as much because any power that helps add flags of damage will be somewhat negated by the foe's SP's. Having them be an element that is used to power other abilities is even better! Brings up lots of interesting strategical possibilities. Do I use this ability that drains my SP's and open myself up to massive attack from enemies? Or save them until later? Cool!

So, any idea when we can expect to see the rollout of YB3 then? I know it's only been a couple weeks since the above post's, but I can't wait to start some new characters and battles. I've reached the point where it seems futile to come here anymore because the characters I have now are about to be obsolete. I want to get excited about coming here to play again, and I can't wait to get started. So, if there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

Also, is there going to be any in-game explanation for the rules change this time? Some reason why everything changes? It would be neat if there was I think. Or we could just say it's a new world with the new rules. That way we have reason still to be playing YB classic, since it's a different world and all.

Last edited:

Glad to hear a response from you, Phoenix!

ETA, well...I am going to work on it this weekend, but Kalanyr has a bunch of tests so we won't get a chance to coordinate our ideas until next weekend. Hopefully, maybe Sunday we might get the ball rolling, finalizing the class ideas. I'm of the personal opinion that we can tweak some things as we go along, for the sake of starting quicker and getting more people's attention-even with an imperfect system. We will also need to do some mock fights just before everything starts up, in which case would you mind helping us Phoenix? (I think it's just Kal, Rathan, and me so far)

Also, I think the last time I talked to Kal about it, the explanation of changes we're going with, that will preserve YB Classic is that Yb3 will take place some unknown point in time in the future of Yberia-meaning, basically, that if you want to keep an old character you can, but if you want to start a new one feel free to do so (all the while keeping up the continuity of history).

Phoenix8008

First Post
I LOVE the idea of having YB3 set in the far future. It allows us to have some continuity while still making it possible to bring any new stuff in as needed.

I'd be happy to help do some mock fights and stuff. But if I'm gonna judge, I'd be more comfortable if I had some rules to go by first.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this going as I think I know who my first character will be. And it'll be great!

Remove ads