D&D 5E Your First Module

Kalisto

First Post
First purchase was the red box basic set back in the early 80's, pretty sure it was B1 Keep on the borderlands as a player. I remember the first encounter involved a 10 pit and a fight with skeletons but not sure if that was B1 or not.

I remember we were all extremely confused about what to do with the white crayon that came with the basic set. It seemed impractical to use on character sheets or for drawing maps. There were no instructions in the book but eventually (months later?) we realized you were to use the crayon to color in the numbers on the dice. Ah good times!

If I remember rightly, I think my first purchase was D1-2, Descent into the Depths of the Earth and Shrine of the Kua Toa.

The first I played is really hard to remember. I think it was the secret of Bone Hill, but this is going back over 35 years, and it was at a gaming club. But I always remembered that cover for some reason.

First I ran? No idea. Something out of White Dwarf I guess.

Mad_Jack

Legend
B2: Keep on the Borderlands, magenta-box Basic set. First one I played and first one I ran. I got it for my 10th birthday. (Learned to play with the earlier blue box at age 8...)

B3: Palace of the Silver Princess was probably the first one I actually paid for with my own money, which I would have gotten for my birthday.

alienux

Explorer
I have to really think back to remember my first modules. I'm pretty sure the first I ever bought was The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. The first thing I ever ran was the Caves of Chaos from Keep on the Borderlands.

I have no idea what the actual first module I played was. I was about 11 and I just remember that it was in a temple of some sort that had hallways on either side of the main chamber. The hallways were separated from the main chamber by curtains, and there was a secret room in one of the hallways that had a lever that opened a door somewhere in the main chamber room. I always wondered if that was an actual module (although I've never found one that matches what I remember), or if my friend who ran the game had created it.

Last edited:

Remove ads