What Rules have you fixed for your game?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Not some much as custom HR for your campaign, but what things did you change that were obviously overpowered or abused and how did you fix it? Sorta like a home brew Errata.

I know that the alter self line of spells has some issues. I am curious how people have worked around that in their games.

ALso, what other problematic spells, feats or class abilities have you encounters and what was your solution?

I know this is asked a lot but I havent found any definitive thread. Maybe we could sticky a

HR faq or something?

thanks

Ahnehnois

First Post
I say that Power Attacking two handed gives 1.5*attack roll penalty damage bonus, not double (you know, like strength gets multiplied by 1.5).

Planesdragon

First Post
Wrathamon said:
Not some much as custom HR for your campaign, but what things did you change that were obviously overpowered or abused and how did you fix it? Sorta like a home brew Errata.

There's so many... let me sort out the house rules for a second...

• Polymorph spells give you the ability modifiers, not the "average ability score", and they carry the same LA that you would have if you were naturally that way.
  • Magic Jar got totally re-done: in essense, you can outlive your body.
  • Cure spells were too easy, so now the somantic component is performing first aid on a wound.
I think the rest may in fact be "house rules."

Storyteller01

First Post
Operating on 3.0 here, so bear with me...

Deflect Arrows uses an AoO instead of one per round. It provides a 20% miss chance against ranged attacks if the player uses the full defense option (40% if your a monk).

Did this mostly to add suspense in my game: Players no longer 'take 10'. They roll for deense against attacks.

Psions use their disciplines main Attribute to determine the maximum power level they can use. Not limited to what they can/cannot take, but the saves are still determined by a d20 roll + the relavent attribute for said power.

Not sure this answers your question though. These changes were to help balance some underpowered rules, not to curtail abuse.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Polymorph spells give you the ability modifiers, not the "average ability score", and they carry the same LA that you would have if you were naturally that way.

not sure I understand... wouldnt that make Polymorph more powerful?

I am looking mostly for abuse issues or things that are overpowered. The powerattack is a good example that I was already concidering. Another, would be that you can cast Awaken on a wildshaped druid.

That sort of thing.

The shapechange thing is really tough, because it seems very overpowered.

I guess I am also looking for "clarification" on some fuzzy rules that people have used to smooth the game over.

I lean towards I rather have it underpowered than overpowered because when I need to fix something underpowered the players like it cause they get something out of it. FIxing things that are overpowered in a campaign only upsets the player. (normally). Which is what I want to avoid.

I normally just play my D20 Fantasy game... pretty much straight HR. But, the new group really wants to play 3.5 and I want to make sure it runs smoothly for them.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Wrathamon said:
not sure I understand... wouldnt that make Polymorph more powerful?
Depends on the character using it. If the character has a Str, Dex, or Con below 10-11, it's bad for him in that ability score. Otherwise it's usually good for him (equal at 10, might be equal or better at 11).

SpiralBound

Explorer
Wrathamon said:

I really didn't like the trip rules. I thought they were so clunky and ackward for both the GM and the player that after using them once I vowed to never attempt trip again until I rewrote it. One afternoon a friend and I did just that and it's the version of how to perform trip attack that all people who play with me prefer to use as it is mumch more streamlined without sacrificing any game balance. Here is my version of trip: (note: I've not read anyone else's variant trip rules, so if this ends up looking like someone else's I claim ambient brainwaves made me do it!) :D

Trip

You can make an armed or unarmed melee attack in an attempt to trip an opponent. In order for a trip attempt to succeed, the opponent must be the same size as or within one size catagory of the attacker.

Making an unarmed trip attack: Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target.
If the attack succeeeds, the defender must make a Reflex Save to resist being tripped, with the DC being equal to the Attackers attack roll. If the Reflex Save fails, the Defender is tripped. See Being Tripped below. If the Reflex Save succeeds, the defender is not tripped and may immediately attempt an attack of opportunity as normal for unarmed attacks.
Modifiers: Either Combatant gets a +4 bonus for every size catagory he is larger than Medium or a -4 penality for every size category he is smaller than Medium. The Defender gets a +4 bonus on his Reflex Save if he has more than two legs or is more stable than a normal Humanoid, for example "Dwarven Stability". Having the feat "Improved Trip Attack" grants the Attacker the bonus of not being subject to an attack of opportunity upon a failed Trip attempt, and grants the Defender the choice of a counter-trip attack instead of the ordinary attack of opportunity in the event of a failed trip attempt. Making a counter-trip attack follows the exact same rules as a regular trip attack.

Making an Armed Trip Attack: Any weapon that confers reach, or can entangle an opponent, or which could feasibly strike more than one of an opponents legs simultaneously, can be used to perform an armed trip attack.
Some examples of such weapons are chained weapons, whips, polearms, flails, staves, nets, clubs, and any sword larger than a shortsword.
Performing an armed trip attack requires that the Attacker make a melee touch attack with the weapon instead of an unarmed melee touch attack. The Defender makes a Reflex Save versus the attack roll as per an unarmed trip attack, however a failed trip does not confer an attack of opportunity to the Defender. As with an unarmed trip attack, the feat "Improved Trip Attack" confers to the Defender the choice of an attack of opportunity or a counter-trip attack in the event of a failed trip attempt. All other above listed modifiers for an unarmed trip attack also apply.
Tripping For Damage: When using a weapon to make a trip attack, the Attacker may choose to deal weapon damage in addition to the standard trip action. In this case, the Attacker makes a standard melee attack at a -4 penalty instead of the melee touch attack. If the tripping for damage attack succeeds, then the Attacker deals the usual melee damage of the weapon used to make the trip attack, as well as tripping the opponent. If the tripping for damage attempt fails, then the Defender is not tripped nor receives any weapon damage. All other rules for an armed trip attack apply as usual.
Modifiers: Either Combatant gets a +4 bonus for every size catagory he is larger than Medium or a -4 penality for every size category he is smaller than Medium. The Defender gets a +4 bonus on his Reflex Save if he has more than two legs or is more stable than a normal Humanoid, for example "Dwarven Stability". Having the feat "Improved Trip Attack" grants the Defender the choice of a counter-trip or an attack of opportunity in the event of a failed trip attempt. Making a counter-trip attack follows the exact same rules as a regular trip attack. In the event of tripping for damage, the feat "Improved Trip Attack" also negates the -4 attack penality to the Attackers melee attack. If the Attack has the "Improved Unarmed strike" feat, they may trip for damage with their unarmed attack as though they were using a weapon. Note: extra abilities such as "Stunning Fist" do not stack with the trip.

Tripping a Mounted Opponent: You may make a trip attack against a mounted opponent. The Defender may choose to make a Ride skill check in place of the usual Reflex Save to avoid being tripped. If the trip succeeds, the rider is pulled from his mount.

Being Tripped: A tripped character is prone (see Table 8-6: Armor Class Modifiers). Standing up is a move action.​

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
The sorcerer spell casting meta magic full round action rule. Gone. Poof.

How many spells exist with full round action casting times? none. So it exists solely for sorcerers to cast metamagic slower. How much slower? They can only move 5 instead of 30 ft that round (if casting metamagic). That's two rules that exist, that if you take them out, you'll hardly notice! How silly is that? Perhaps simply disallow Quicken Spell for sorcerers, but I'm inclined to give that to them too.

Rav

ender_wiggin

First Post
You may have addressed this in your trip rules:

Attack bonuses increase much faster than reflex saves. THus, at high levels its impossible to resist getting tripped.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Deflect Arrows is an opposed attack roll, with a cumulative -5 penalty for each projectile after the first. Improved Deflect Arrows reduces this penalty to cumulative -2.

In my Dragonstar game, I allow Evade Fire as a feat, that works the same way, with Deflect Arrows and BAB +9 or Monk 9 as prerequisites. Evade Fire extends the Deflect Arrow benefit to include energy and ballistic attacks.

edit: Sorceror's metamagic casting time still applies, but is waived for Quicken Spell-- four spell levels is quite sufficient to balance this ability.

"Vorpal" is a weapon enhancement that costs +1 bonus and adds 1 to a weapon's critical multiplier. It can be applied to a keen weapon.

Rangers, Paladins, and Hexblades have a caster level equal to their level -3.

Last edited:

Remove ads