Eldritch Blast and resistances

Mercule

Adventurer
So, I've got a PC Warlock in my group. Fun character, but I think I may have run into an issue with Eldritch Blast tonight.

The group went up against a Warforged Titan. Those are resistant to pretty much everything (10 points vs. fire, cold, electricity, etc.) and have DR 10/adamantine. So, they're almost guaranteed to take 10 damage off anything.

It doesn't look like Eldritch Blast fits any of those, though. It's not elemental at all. And I don't think it counts as physical damage. Is there anything that reduces the damage of an Eldritch Blast? That just seems too powerful for an "at will" power.

Sejs

First Post
Unless modified with an Eldritch Essence invocation that gives it an energy type (such as Cold from Hellrime Blast), then Eldritch Blast is neither does damage via an energy type or via physical means.

Think of it like Magic Missle in that respect. Spell Resistance can stop it, but DR and Energy Resistance cannot, normally.

Is there anything that reduces the damage of an Eldritch Blast? That just seems too powerful for an "at will" power.

So in short, no, there isn't anything.

Actually, wait, I take that back - hardness would reduce it, but I think that's about it.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Magical attacks are generally not reduced by pretty much anything (bare spell resistance), unless they are elemental attacks, of course. Eldritch Blast is pure magical energy and not subject to any reduction.

There are even some magical attacks out there, which deal bludgeoning damage, and they still sneak past damage reduction. ;)

Bye
Thanee

ARandomGod

First Post
Thanee said:
Magical attacks are generally not reduced by pretty much anything (bare spell resistance), unless they are elemental attacks, of course. Eldritch Blast is pure magical energy and not subject to any reduction.

There are even some magical attacks out there, which deal bludgeoning damage, and they still sneak past damage reduction. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Spell resistance will work, but it's a non-classified magical damage. Specifically not force, either. Just "magic damage".

If it were force it would hit into the ethereal plane, which EB does not do, and a 'force resistance' would work against it. As written it's untyped so nothing other than spell resistance will have any effect there.

IcyCool

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Spell resistance will work, but it's a non-classified magical damage. Specifically not force, either. Just "magic damage".

If it were force it would hit into the ethereal plane, which EB does not do, and a 'force resistance' would work against it. As written it's untyped so nothing other than spell resistance will have any effect there.

Er... "Force Resistance"?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Eldritch Blast is a magical spell-like ability. No DR applies against it. Only SR applies. However, spell-like abilities can be disrupted and I believe provoke attacks of opportunity.

Now, if you really want to be badass, there is a feat in Savage Species that turns spell-like abilities into supernatural abilities. Take that feat for your Eldritch Blast. The benefits of this are many. Supernatural abilities cannot be disrupted like spell-like abilities can. Supernatural abilities are also not subject to spell resistance. :]

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Hmm, the latest DnD FAQ from WotC nixes my idea. I think their reasoning is a little weak though and I'm not sure I agree with it. I think Warlocks are actually somewhat underpowered.

Remove ads