Advice for the next campaign - Big Evil Race

just__al

First Post
For my next campaign I'm going to ask the players to all be of the same race (from the list below)

The general theme will be that they'll be living quasi-peacefully in their mostly isolated racial community/lands until the big evil comes.

I'm going to ask them to be all Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Golliaths, or Halflings (possibly illumians too)

What would be a good big evil race for each of the races above.

I'm definately thinking Yak Folk for the Golliaths but I'm a little lost for the others at least at first blush.

I don't want to use drow or humans. I'm thinking possibly Redcaps for the halflings or elves, Yuan Ti for either the halflings or Gnomes, maybe even Orcs for the dwarves but I'm hoping for other ideas...

Think "every thing was going well until the <big evil race> came"

BSF

Explorer
If you are going with the nomadic halflings angle, consider using Gnolls. In my current campaign I took my gnolls a step further. I wanted to start getting some use out of Nyambe, so I have been building my aggressive gnolls using the Nyambe rulebook. Very fun since they are just a little bit different.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Single race campaigns work great, in my experience.

I'd go with dwarves but not orcs. There's a ton of strange things in the Underdark that aren't drow or evil dwarves or mind flayers, and having the dwarves invaded from below and having to flee to the surface would be a great turnabout. Having the dwarves go back underground to reclaim their halls would use the dwarf abilities to fullest effect nicely.

johnnype

First Post
I don't know what race they would be most appropriate for but I've always been fond of Githyanki and Rakshasa. Just a thought.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
johnnype said:
I don't know what race they would be most appropriate for but I've always been fond of Githyanki and Rakshasa. Just a thought.

Not bad choices but hey why not be like everyone else and use Mind Flayers man. :D I mean they STILL are the baddest abberations around. :)

just__al

First Post
johnnype said:

Rakshasa were the big evil for my last campaign. The campain started with hints that all the city-state leaders were actually Rakshasa. They had finally gotten control of all the city-states and it was time to see who would be the last Rakshasa standing. When the party figured out they were working for one of them they weren't happy. Especially since they almost died bumping one of the Rakshasa off.

Warbringer

Explorer
Giants... "There Big and Evil"

If coastal, how about Sauhagin/Deep Ones...here comes the big C...

Or, nothing yet... the land simply starts to change... a magical terraforming for the coming evil...

Tinner

First Post
Why not use the Vile races from BoVD?
The Jermalaine would work well for the Halflings menace, and the Vasharan make an excellent evil human empire.

Remove ads