A Game of Thrones - Defenders of the Vale

Ibram Gaunt

First Post
For six years the Redfort had been without it's Lord. Robert's Rebellion ended with a whimper as the Last Targaryen was cast from the Iron Throne. Jon Arryn had called his banners and Lord Horton responded without delay. Throughout the war, House Redfort distinguished itself with honors, fighting the Royalist forces at every turn and finally assisting in the assault on the last Targaryan stronghold, Dragonstone.

During this time, Lord Horton had found himself a new bride, Lady Opel Fowler. She had joined him on Dragonstone when the Warden of the East had commanded Lord Horton to lead the garrison at Dragonstone and hold it unitl Stannis Baratheon could arrive and take over the ancient fortress as his new seat.

Lady Opel had been the second wife to Lord Edwyn Dayne, brother to the famous Arthur Dayne. He died at King's Landing and Lord Horton took her as his wife. She brought with her Mycha, her only child with Edwyn. Lord Horton immediately took to her and accepted her as his own upon their marriage.

Shortly before Lord Stannis' fleet arrived at Dragonstone, Horton sent his Opel, Mycha and the servants ahead to the Redfort accompanied by Ser Garen Farthing. A new house Maester, Brandon the Brawler has come with the group to replace the old Maester Corwin just recently passed. Lady Opel's arrival was met with much joy and celebration among the household as accomodations were made for the new Lady of Redfort.

Two turns have past since Lady Opel arrived and the godswood is in full blossom as Maester Brandon announced the arrival of the white raven and spring along with it. All seems well since Robert's Rebellion came to a close and peace is now restored in the Seven Kingdoms. Almost as if in response to the airy mood and new season it has been announced that Lady Opel is with child, while Lord Horton's outriders have come portending the imminent arrival of the Host of Redfort recently back from the campaigns of the rebellion.

Even now plans are being made for a great homecoming celebration as servants sing merrily and go to and fro making preparations. The smallfolk have gathered at the Redfort awaiting with much anticipation the return of husband, brothers and fathers.

Meanwhile members of the House still go about their business...

Creighton and Rhin are in the yard with Captain Costen and Master Egen. Both Rhin and the Captain are trying to keep Creighton's attention long enouch to give some lessons on tactics. Josef looks on with amusement while the Master seems much less amused.

Costen lowers his sword for a moment and with exasperation says "Listen my boy, I've been trying to get this maneuver to stick in your thick head for two hours now! The least you can do is pay attention."

Master Egen responds "You're wasting your time, Jasper caught on to this in the first five minutes."

Jasper sits with Septa Nerrys, Rhinna and Hulmer as they discuss the details of the arrival of Jasper's father.

Rhinna explains that the larders are full and the feast will be well prepared with only the best the Redfort has to offer. Septa Nerrys seems quite insisitent about the blessing and time that should be devoted to the Seven while Hulmer seems most preoccupied figuring out where to house all these soldiers until they break up to return to their homes.

Melyssa sits with Lady Opel in her father's small solar as they are knitting. Lady Opel seems interested in getting to know Melyssa better and along with it, the workings of the houshold.

My dear little one, did you know that the sport of hawking is a tradition long embraced by the women of my father's house? I would be very glad to teach you, that is if you don't mind the company?"

Later in the conversation, she also inquires,
"Tell me of my Lord Husband's other children, what are the boys like?"

ACTIONS PLEASE, Mycha and Brandon have IC email.

Last edited:

dave_o

Explorer
Rhin, The Yard

Rhin stands slightly reclined, his sword tip gently embedded in the already softening earth. He scratches behind his ear, running his slender fingers through the long, black hair piled across his shoulders. "It is tough for Creighton, yes? Times are distracting -- the war is done and soon revelry will be upon us."

Gently, the Braavosi pops the blade tip from the ground, and in a little plume of unearthed sod taps Creighton's belly with it. "Besides," Rhin's lip curls in a half-smirk, "all the rich food is going to destroy any work we've had at flattening that belly."

Last edited:

Bleak Knight

First Post
Jasper

Nerrys, Rhinna and Hulmer were all talking. Often at the same time, debating their widely differing opinions and priorities.

Jasper was only listening with half an ear. Staring out a window, he looked down the road. The road where his father would be coming up. It was six years since he had seen him. Six years is a long time when you're young, and even longer when you're growing up. Jasper had changed a lot, over those years. He had grown up. 'I wonder if my father will recognize me. Or any of the others, for that manner'.

Lord Horton – Father – had been gone for a long time, more than half of his youngest brother Jon's life. The boy was brave, and claimed he was looking forward to seeing his father. Jasper however, saw both fear and doubt in his eyes. 'The man is a stranger to him. Just a few childhood memories'. The septa was looking at him intently, and he realized he had been asked a question. He nodded curtly and said “mhm”. Apparently it was enough, for the trio started off their discussion again. Jasper wondered if his father was as anxious as he was. 'I hope he's not. I hope he's happily expecting a loving welcome'. That's what he deserved. He was a war hero.

With an effort, Jasper pulled himself out of his own thoughts. He needed to conclude this meeting, which seemed to him mostly a pointless squabble amongst lesser authorities. They were all good people, but this was a waste of time. “Septa, I assure you, you will have all the time you need for your blessings, and I promise you, they will be the first thing dealt with. As for where to quarter them, they'll be coming with all their campaigning gear. Which means tents. Those we can't quarter inside the walls will have to camp along the road and around the outside of the walls. We should be more concerned about how to feed everyone, but you tell me we have enough for everyone, so that shouldn't be a problem either. If we can't fit the whole host into the great hall for the feast, I want you ready to erect a large tent or tents directly outside the hall for those who we can't cram in”.

He stood. “I appreciate your efforts and enthusiasm, but I have some familial matters to attend to now”. As they left, he called out after them “Rinna, please make certain Lord Horton's solar is dusted out and that there's a fire burning there”. Then they were gone. Jasper slung his sword and sword belt over his shoulder, and made for the yard. He could have called people to him, but he felt like walking a bit.

Tyrmatfrage

First Post
Melyssa

Ibram Gaunt said:
Melyssa sits with Lady Opel in her father's small solar as they are knitting.

The needles are dancing in Melyssa's hands, but her mind was far from the work in front of her.

Her lord father was returning to House Redfort for the first time in six years. She was uncertain how she felt about that. Oh, she had maintained contact with him during his absence of course, always sending him a letter every fortnight - the duty she owed House Redfort demanded it of her - but inks on a parchment were very different from meeting the man himself. What would the meeting be like? Would he have changed much during the course of the war?

She was aware that Lady Opel was attempting to do what adults often did when they were restless - 'make conversation' with her. It was annoying. Mindful of her duties, she listened with half an ear in case the woman said anything of interest, but most of it was meaningless blather.

Ibram Gaunt said:
Lady Opel seems interested in getting to know Melyssa better and along with it, the workings of the houshold.

My dear little one, did you know that the sport of hawking is a tradition long embraced by the women of my father's house? I would be very glad to teach you, that is if you don't mind the company?"

Lady Opel finally fell silent after asking her the question, clearly waiting for her to answer. Melyssa was content to let the silence stretch. Just as Lady Opel was about to open her mouth to repeat the question, Melyssa looked up.

"My Lady Opel, I am honoured by your invitation. Why, it would be a pleasure."

Lady Opel seemed satisfied by the answer. Melyssa returned to her knitting, but inside she was wondering. Hawking? She had heard of the sport, but knew little about it. She resolved to go and ask Maester Brandon about it later. She did not intend to appear a fool in front of this woman!

Ibram Gaunt said:
Later in the conversation, she also inquires,
"Tell me of my Lord Husband's other children, what are the boys like?"

The question sent a chill down Melyssa's spine. Why was Lady Opel suddenly so interested in her brothers?

"Why, my Lady Opel, there isn't all that much to tell. Jasper, Creighton and Jon are all as brave and honourable and kind as the man that you married, and I am sure you know that man very well, do you not?"

Melyssa was watching Lady Opel very intently now. Was there another reason why the woman had invited her to go hawking? There was a lot she didn't know about Lady Opel, Melyssa realized. She cursed herself for being remiss of her duties. As soon as this conversation was over, she was going to find out what kind of person this Lady Opel really was.

OOC: Make a Sense Motive check on Lady Opel (Sense Motive = 8) Afterwards, Melyssa goes to the Common room to mingle with servants of Lady Opel's household and find out what she can about her (Gather Information = 9)

Last edited:

Enforcer

Explorer
"Mycha, I certainly appreciate your help in unpacking my books, but that one is particularly rare, dealing with stories of the Andals, and I'd never forgive myself if it were damaged."

Brandon is fretting nervously over the small girl as she rifles through his books, and grows more and more impatient as his liege's adopted daughter flits from one book to the next.

WargamerX

First Post
Mycha knew that she was frustrating Maester Brandon, but she was trying to catalogue his books in her mind. She had identified the Andals text as a find worth "borrowing" at a later date.

Another book that captured the young girl's attention and imagination had been written by a Night's Watch Steward named Rickon over three centuries ago. Mycha was just beginning to begin a search for references to the Others, when Maester Brandon's massive hand plucked it from her grasp.

Please, Mycha, I know that you are excited but I must organize these and some are too rare and fragile for you to play with. The Maester regretted the last even as the words exited his mouth.

Mycha paused momentarily staring from the Maester's chamber window. The girl slowly turned and gave him a cold stare. I do not "play" with books. Then her attitutde softened and she smiled. Besides, as the girl held up her right hand while pulling on a thick leather raven glove there is a raven coming in. Race you to the rookery!

With that the girl took off running...

[sblock]The next portion of this was sent in a private email. Should that be shared yet?[/sblock]

Khairn

First Post
Creighton attempts to slap Rhin's sword away with his own blade, all the while glaring at Master Egen.

"I know Jasper's better than me but, but this is a stupid, and why do we have 'ta keep doin it over an over again?" Creighton asked in an exasperated and martyred tone.

"The party will be starting soon, and I dont want to miss any of it. Besides, Lady Fowler will be mad at me if I don't show up all dressed up and such."
Turning his gaze towards Captain Costen, Creighton eyes become forlorn as he silently pleads to end the days training.

dave_o

Explorer
Devyn said:
Creighton attempts to slap Rhin's sword away with his own blade, all the while glaring at Master Egen.

"I know Jasper's better than me but, but this is a stupid, and why do we have 'ta keep doin it over an over again?" Creighton asked in an exasperated and martyred tone.

"The party will be starting soon, and I dont want to miss any of it. Besides, Lady Fowler will be mad at me if I don't show up all dressed up and such."
Turning his gaze towards Captain Costen, Creighton eyes become forlorn as he silently pleads to end the days training.

Rhin Snow, the yard

"It is weeks yet until your father returns home, yes?" Rhin lets his blade be brushed aside by the lordling's own, and leans into the momentum to snap it back up and twirl the slender thing into his sheath. It is not so different, the longsword and dagger, from my own Braavosi blade and dagger. I bet I could do that with a longsword, with a bit of practice. He runs two hands through his thick head of hair, and leans backward, stretching his arms.

"Creighton may have a point, as I have just recalled how very pretty our lordling was at the last festival hence. It could very well take weeks to look quite that pretty. One must needs attend to their duties, yes?" Rhin smiles, though with malice or mirth it is difficult to tell. "Besides, I perhaps have some maidens to sway with my skill of the tongue," Rhin pauses, "for I've several new scraps of prose to recite."

The Braavosi crosses his arms. "Finished, yes?"

Ibram Gaunt

First Post
In the yard....

Master Egen dismisses Creighton with a wave of his hand and walks away grumbling under his breath. About halfway across the yard he stops and turns to watch two riders enter through the gatehouse in a cloud of dust. Their tabards bearing the Redfort, they dismount and talk quietly with the stableboys that come to take their lathered mounts.

Captain Costen pulls his gaze away from the newcomers to address the young Redfort. My lord, we will take this up at another time, but I urge you to practice. You'll can overcome your frusteration with dedication and love of the blade. Your father wishes me to make a true knight of you but I'm afraid that at this pace, he will be sorely disappointed."

Summoning Josef, Costen starts across the yard to meet the newcomers but turns back at the last instant. Furrowing his brow he addresses Rhin Snow, your taunts do nothing to help matters, either make a contribution to his training or take your jabs elsewhere."

Lady Opel's Solar

Melyssa searces Lady Opel's eyes and manner for any sort of deception or ulterior motive but finds that she cannot so easily read the Dornish woman.

Later, Melyssa makes the rounds of the fortress speaking to this person and that in Lady Opel's houshold. After some time Melyssa runs across the wetnurse, Hilda in the kitchens. Over a cup of cider she relates how Lord Horton came to marry her.
My lady was just widowed after Edwyn died in King's Landing during the sacking. She too along with all of us in her household were set upon by Lannister men when Lord Horton came along with his riders. He spared us from certain shame and death but it was very clear from the start that things were amiss. It was almost as if Lady Opel owed a debt to him for his gallantry. Soon after the lady became very quiet and reclusive and the two were married soon after. "

Hilda also speaks of their consumation and how afterward there was a problem but she seems very reluctant to speak of it.

Back in the yard....

Jasper having just come from the keep sees a welcome scene before him. Men sparring in the yard, watchmen about their duties and the smell of horse from the stables all come togther to invigorate the young heir. Upon seeing Jasper Captain Costen comes over with a young man wearing the Redfort colors in his train. His clothes are coated in a layer of dust from a hard ride.

Costen turns to gesture to the young man This is Ser Rycen McFaddyn, he is an outrider for your father and he has welcome news! Lord Horton is much more ahead of schedule than we thought. He will be here on the morrow! Ser Rycen here was a man of your fathers many years ago and has recently come back into his service at Dragonstone."

After the pleasantries Costen excuses himself to make ready the guard leaving Rhin, Creighton, Jasper and Ser Rycen in the yard.

The Maester's Study

Mycha rifles through the old books and papers and happens upon a very old book which appears to be a stained, leather bound book with rotted and dogeared pages. The writing is smudged in many places and there are holes in some of the pages where insects and mice have eaten away at it. It's cover reads "A History of the Redforts and a lineage of the Clan". Which seems odd for the term 'Clan' isn't normally used when referring to a Noble House.

Last edited:

Remove ads