Inside Joke or Insidious Joke

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, valorous readers!

I skimmed through the fluffy part of the Champions of Valor today and stumbled upon a sentence on page 129 (Chapel of Resounding Justice), that made me muse...

Warning: Spoiler!

Champions of Valor said:
This statue is actually the petrified remains of Resounding Justice, a noble planetar in service of Tyr...

...hmmm, but don't all angels have complete immunity to petrification?

Is this WotC's inside joke? Or was Resounding Justice so noble to give its immunity away? :heh:

Valorous regards

Glyfair

Explorer
Scharlata said:
..hmmm, but don't all angels have complete immunity to petrification?

Is this WotC's inside joke? Or was Resounding Justice so noble to give its immunity away? :heh:
Well, I think in Forgotten Realms there are likely ways around it. I wouldn't imagine it would be impossible for someone to have wished away it's immunity and then had it hit with attack.

Sejs

First Post
Corsair said:
Or killed it first, then petrified the remains. Seeing as it says "petrified remains", not "pentrified planetar"

That's what I was thinking as well. The remains bit mentioned says to me that Resounding Justice fell in the line of duty and was later preserved for posterity.

Rather tacky, but, well, it's not like he was going to be raised or anything later on.

Ditch

First Post
I'm not sure why it would want to, but... like other creatures with innate immunities, it can take a standard action to lower this defense. Elves, if they desire, can lower their immunity to sleep, as an example.

But I agree with the above posters. It sounds like he was already dead.

boolean

Explorer
It seems likely that the planetar died, and that its remains were petrified.

Otherwise, why hasn't anybody use Stone to Flesh or Break Enchantment to restore it?

"Sure, I could restore the planetar to life to assist in the battle against evil, but I'd rather have this awesome statue!"

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ditch said:
I'm not sure why it would want to, but... like other creatures with innate immunities, it can take a standard action to lower this defense. Elves, if they desire, can lower their immunity to sleep, as an example.

Do you have a source for that?

Spell Resistance can be lowered, but is there a quote covering immunities?

-Hyp.

3d6

Explorer
PHB, page 177.
Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can volunarily forego a saving throw and willing accept a spell's result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic (for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects) can supress this quality.

Land Outcast

Explorer
I love this:

So the Fire Elemental can choose to get burned?
The red dragon can choose for the fire he breathes to burn his inside? (or at leas his jaws)
The construct wit "Con -" can choose to loose Con?

Humans can give up their immunity to intoxication by water?

Remove ads