Luck bonuses question

Larcen

Explorer
In the DMG page 177 is says that Luck bonuses improve: attacks, weapon damage, AC, saves, and checks. It then goes on to list a Stone of Good Luck as a sample magic item that grants this type of bonus.

But on page 227 of the same book, under Stone of Good Luck, it says that the luck bonus only applies to: saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks.

I could not find any reference to this obvious error anywhere in the FAQs or Errata. Does anyone know what the correct usage for Luck bonuses are?

Thanks!

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Larcen said:
In the DMG page 177 is says that Luck bonuses improve: attacks, weapon damage, AC, saves, and checks.

Crothian is correct. To further elaborate, a luck bonus can apply to each of those you listed, but the bonus applies to each one separately, not all at once. An item can grant a luck bonus to attacks only, or to everything listed. It just depends on how much money you wanna spend. :)

Larcen

Explorer
Ok then, so what you guys are saying is that in the case of the Stone of Good Luck, it only applies to what's listed in the magic item description.

What threw me off was that page 177 entry. It lists everything the bonus can apply to and then has the Stone of Luck right there as an example. Seems to imply the Luckstone gives you all of them too.

Thanks for the info, guys.

the Jester

Legend
Well, just think of enhancement bonuses as another example... the bonus you get from, say, owl's wisdom applies to your wisdom, not your attacks, other abilities, etc... despite the chart in the dmg. I got really confused about this over morale bonuses when I first read my 3e PH and had to search out examples to satisfy myself that the bonus types were as variable in what they applied to as it seemed. (Bless and the bard...)

AGGEMAM

First Post
Okay, Larcen, the page 177 entry only describes what luck and any of the other bonus types CAN apply to it doesn't say anything else than that.

Going by the same logic as you did with luck bonuses, any enhancement bonuses would always improve almost everything regarding the character and his possessions.

Larcen

Explorer
Ok everyone, I understand the chart on page 177 now. At the time I looked at it, I was only interested in the Luckstone. Had I looked at the other entries, things may have been clearer.

Thanks for the all the responses!

Remove ads