[October] What are you reading?

JEL

First Post
EricNoah said:
Ugh, I don't know what to read. I do like seeing everyone's responses.

I spent something like a year reading The Bloody Crown of Conan (kept it in my car, read snatches of it here and there when I was waiting for someone or eating lunch alone). It was one "novella" and two longer short stories, not quite as suitable for quick snatches as a book of true short stories. Just finished that up this week. So I need another short story collection for the car.

If you want a good book of short stories, I can't recommend highly enough Cordwainer Smith's The Rediscovery of Man, which contains all of his short science fiction. The man was amazing.

As for me, right now I'm reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Seville Communion by Arturo Perez-Reverte, possibly the best mystery writer of our time.

Chaldfont

First Post
I, too, am reading the last Temeraire book: The Black Powder War. Great, fun stuff! I'm seriously thinking of running a "Dragon's Over the Barbary Coast" Savage Worlds game at Gencon next year based on these novels.

Also reading Iain M. Banks' The Algebraist (can't get enough of Banks' scifi) and Fritz Lieber's The Big Time.

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Merlion said:
Hmmm....well, I often enjoy writting styles that other people dont, and I dont mind a bit of long-windness here and there, so I may still give it a try at some point.

Thanks for responding.

Not a problem, the concept seemed cool enough though...

Oh and I finished it, its all right

Merlion

First Post
Priest_Sidran said:
Not a problem, the concept seemed cool enough though...

Oh and I finished it, its all right

Let me ask you this; are there in the book, as in the movie, allusions to the idea that Gormengast may be a sort of "closed world" where if you go in one direction long enough you end up back where you started?

EricNoah

Adventurer
JEL said:
If you want a good book of short stories, I can't recommend highly enough Cordwainer Smith's The Rediscovery of Man, which contains all of his short science fiction. The man was amazing.

Thanks for the assist.

I got out to a bookstore over the weekend and picked up ...

Altered Carbon (sci-fi/mystery -- Richard Morgan; Amazon.com tells me if I like him I'll like Alastair Reynolds?)

Under the Black Flag (nonfiction book about pirates)

The Conquering Sword of Conan (the last of the "complete Conan" series recently released -- seems to have more short stories and fewer novellas) -- for the car, of course. Probably be a year before I finish it!

Justin

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Altered Carbon (sci-fi/mystery -- Richard Morgan; Amazon.com tells me if I like him I'll like Alastair Reynolds?)

I generally don't trust Amazon recommendations. I love Reynolds's Inhibitor books (haven't read any others), but I've tried reading Morgan and couldn't stand his stuff.

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Merlion said:
Let me ask you this; are there in the book, as in the movie, allusions to the idea that Gormengast may be a sort of "closed world" where if you go in one direction long enough you end up back where you started?

Yes very much so

Remove ads