What balances the Warforged?

Tetsubo

First Post
I am in love with the CONCEPT of the Warforged. I'm just not happy with the EXECUTION of the race.

I still can't figure out why they don't have a Str bonus. A race designed to be Fighters... and as shown in every single illustration of the race, being stronger than an average human... and their penalties really hurt their class choices...

People always list the number of immunities that they have. Frankly I can't think of any time that any of those immunities would have made or broken an adventure. Either as a player or a GM.

I guess I want CONSTRUCTS, not Living Constructs...

Elemental

Explorer
Particle_Man said:
But Alter Self spells, perhaps, might temporarily get rid of Adamantine Body. Just Alter Self into a "default Warforged" which would not have Adamantine body and perhaps that would eliminate the penalties to movement and skills related to movement, like swim, to the default warforged levels. I don't think you could use it to *gain* a feat's benefit, but perhaps you could use it to *lose* the feat, temporarily.

Of course, you'll have to either still it, or suck up the big Arcane Spell Failure chance from the adamantine plating you're trying to get rid of.

bestone

First Post
Tetsubo said:
and as shown in every single illustration of the race

I can point you to a warforged mage illustration that may just disagree with that rather bold statement

It may have say, slightly thicker arms, but that in no way proves strength. As its hard to compare wood constructs to muscle in terms of how big they are determining thier strength.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Elemental said:
Of course, you'll have to either still it, or suck up the big Arcane Spell Failure chance from the adamantine plating you're trying to get rid of.

Meh, use a wand. You can do that in fullplate with no chance of failure.

Yay Use Magic Device!

-- N

Klaus

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I am in love with the CONCEPT of the Warforged. I'm just not happy with the EXECUTION of the race.

I still can't figure out why they don't have a Str bonus. A race designed to be Fighters... and as shown in every single illustration of the race, being stronger than an average human... and their penalties really hurt their class choices...

People always list the number of immunities that they have. Frankly I can't think of any time that any of those immunities would have made or broken an adventure. Either as a player or a GM.

I guess I want CONSTRUCTS, not Living Constructs...
Just take out Unearthed Arcana and apply the "Musclebound" trait to warforged (bonus on Str- and Str-based skill checks, penalty to Dex- and Dex-based skill checks).

FalcWP

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
I still can't figure out why they don't have a Str bonus. A race designed to be Fighters...

Honestly, if I'm paying a sizable sum for an army of constructs, I want to know that they're going to take some serious abuse. I want them to outlast the other guy. Plus, not all soldiers rely on Strength (archers, scouts, etc.), but any soldier is better with a higher Constitution.

Gimby

Explorer
Voadam said:
Nope, adamantine DR does not give you the ability to penetrate adamantine DR. In 3.0 DR gave you the ability to penetrate similar DR but in 3.5 DR and DR penetration are distinct abilities. For instance demons count as Evil and Chaotic for penetrating alignment DR, but they have varying DR of cold iron and good, with no lawful DR.

Adamantine DR requires adamantine to bypass it.

Shows what I know :D

Len

Prodigal Member
FalcWP said:
Honestly, if I'm paying a sizable sum for an army of constructs, I want to know that they're going to take some serious abuse. I want them to outlast the other guy. Plus, not all soldiers rely on Strength (archers, scouts, etc.), but any soldier is better with a higher Constitution.
Absolutely. Any army commander would kill for an army that can march day & night and doesn't have to be fed. Super-human strength is secondary. I love this aspect of warforged - they do seem to be an ideal artificial soldier race, assuming there were some design compromises (i.e. they couldn't make a race that are the ultimate paragons of everything).

As a PC race, I've played with them a bit and they don't seem over-powered. The knee-jerk reaction of "omg constructs they're immune to EVRYTHING!!" is just wrong. They don't have all the immunities of constructs, and they do have drawbacks - stat penalties, not being able to remove their armor, different methods of healing.

Remove ads