• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What balances the Warforged?

smootrk

First Post
The warforged have some characteristics that are unique, and just like any additional race, the DM must take these traits into consideration when designing an encounter, especially since most encounters (both pre and post Eberron) have never had to make the assumptions of having such Construct types in the party. It is easy enough to balance most encounters on the fly, but it seems that some/most would prefer not to have to do this additional thinking (hence the bias against them).

I think they are a strong +0 LA race, but hardly unbalancable. I like them and have even worked to include some varieties in my Forgotten Realms campaign (see signature). No big balance issues yet.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
smootrk said:
I think they are a strong +0 LA race, but hardly unbalancable.

Yup, IMHO they're up there with Dwarves. Strong.

But IMHO that contrast weakens them a bit -- see, there's already a strong Fighter choice (the Dwarf). So having another strong Fighter choice isn't really changing the game all that much. It's not like they're a better Wizard than a Halfling, Gnome or Dwarf. They're as good as a Dwarf at being a Fighter, but so what? Dwarves already did that. :)

Cheers, -- N

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Patlin said:
In my opinion, the best sign an option is broken is when everyone wants to use it. I've seen no sign that 'forged fit the bill here.
Quoted for truthy truth. Even in my Age of Worms game, absolutely no one (including my resident power gamer) choose a warforged as their PC or any of their replacements.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I just noticed that Warforged have "Bonus Languages: None".

Does that mean that a Warforged PC with a 16 INT starts out knowing only Common. The bonus languages that other races get for high INT are just lost?

kk14

First Post
I think it actually means the opposite. If they had an INT bonus of +3 then they could choose ANY 3 Languages beyond the simple Common. Check up the PHB though, 'cause i'm only 90% sure.

shilsen

Adventurer
Ki Ryn said:
I just noticed that Warforged have "Bonus Languages: None".

Does that mean that a Warforged PC with a 16 INT starts out knowing only Common. The bonus languages that other races get for high INT are just lost?
Correct. IIRC, it's been clarified by Keith Baker that that's the intent. Warforged are created knowing only Common, irrespective of Int bonus.

Slaved

First Post
shilsen said:
Correct. IIRC, it's been clarified by Keith Baker that that's the intent. Warforged are created knowing only Common, irrespective of Int bonus.

Wow. I find that incredibly stupid in so many ways I do not even know where to start and it shall be ignored immediately assuming that it is accurate.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
They need to understand their superiors, and that's it. Thus the language note.

Note a huge deal, but does match with the setting.

Slaved

First Post
I would say that knowing common plus as many languages of your enemies and allies as possible would make more sense. If you can understand the enemies orders then you are better able to deal with what happens after all.

frankthedm

First Post
bestone said:
It may have say, slightly thicker arms, but that in no way proves strength. As its hard to compare wood constructs to muscle in terms of how big they are determining thier strength.
Wood, cable or fibrous material all look stronger than human muscle tissue to some folks. I look at a 'forged and start think of the STR a semi modern machine of comparable size could put out, far beyond human muscle tissue.

Remove ads