Why Worldbuilding is Bad

I never thought that quote made him sound like that. It merely highlights the fact that his goals and the goals of the novel writing and appreciating literature status quo were wholly incompatible and he had no problem with that.

I'm also surprised that my sly tweaking of China Mieville's nose as a prime example of a bad writer who let setting description get carried away way out of hand hasn't prompted up a storm of angry defensive retorts yet. ;)

jujutsunerd

Explorer
Celebrim said:
Should Iain Banks 'scare' me

This is just barely on topic, but, given that he's written The Wasp Factory, yes, we should be scared of him. Or at least I am. Or at least I was scared when I read the book, oh so many years ago. :)

/Jonas

Hobo said:
I'm also surprised that my sly tweaking of China Mieville's nose as a prime example of a bad writer who let setting description get carried away way out of hand hasn't prompted up a storm of angry defensive retorts yet. ;)

That's cause it's spot-on. :) Perdido Street Station should have come with a complimentary prescritption for Ritalin.

Mallus

Legend
Hobo said:
It merely highlights the fact that his goals and the goals of the novel writing and appreciating literature status quo were wholly incompatible and he had no problem with that.
It sounds to me like Tolkien dismissing the 'literary establishment' in the same way the literary establishment dismissed him, just pettiness all around. I can't take establishment critics to task for ignoring Tolkien's contribution to English literature and then turn a blind eye to his pig-headed remarks. I mean, weren't good books not about hobbits being written at that time in England?

Because, unlike Tolkien, Mieville hasn't ascended bodily to Heaven :)

It's funny. China's gone on record badmouthing Tolkien and yet I like them for pretty much the same reason; the settings, in all their gloriously cluttered detail. Some small part of my brain was aware when their novels stop doing 'novel stuff' and start spiraling discursively into more than you ever needed to know about scarab-headed women and hobbit toast-buttering songs. But you know what? I ate it up.

It's like some kind of receptor-site damage on a neuron. Pointless exotic details bond there and deliver me great pleasure like a drug. I bet a lot of SF/F fans are similarly afflicted.

Put another way, I like Bas-Lag and New Crobuzon better than anything Mieville's actually done with or in them, and I can just about say the same thing about Middle Earth.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Eh, not really. I've heard of Viriconium, but I've never read any of his stuff or know anyone who has read any of his stuff (and I see no Hugo or Nebula or Locus nominations or awards there, if that means anything).

A Storm of Wings - locus award nominee
In Viriconium - locus award nominee
Light - locus and clarke award nominee
Things That Never Happen - locus award nominee
Travel Arrangements: Short Stories - locus and world fantasy award nominee
Viriconium Nights - locus and world fantasy award nominee

Celebrim

Legend
Mallus said:
I didn't mean to imply you weren't familiar with British SF, I was hazarding a guess as to why you hadn't heard of him seeing as he was only recently published in the US.

Whether or not someone is published in the US should have small effect on the word of mouth, or awards like the Hugo, Nebula or World Fantasy awards which would spread the authors fame.

The British SF/F on my bookshelf are all US editions, well, except for books 2-6 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, 'cause I got hooked.

I have a few Silverburgs in British editions because of the difficulty in finding some of his works in the American edition.

I like Banks, too. After Light, my favorite recent SF novel is his Use of Weapons. They're both really strong works.

I'm very fond of banks, but less so of 'Use of Weapons'. I think it is one of those 'love it or hate it', works, because it seems like its either every fans favorite or every fans least favorite. I prefer 'Look to Windward'.

Of course not. Then again, neither do do I believe that the The Book of the New Sun should be the model for all fiction, despite my unabashed adoration of them.

Well, yes. If we all wrote exactly the same, what a boring world it would be.

Different books have different aims. Harrison's advice applies to certain modes of fiction.

Basically, his own.

It isn't universal.

"Every moment of a science fiction story must represent the triumph of writing over worldbuilding." - M John Harrison

I'm not the one claiming universality.

In the same way that creating/evoking a setting a la Tolkien in Middle Earth isn't a universal for good fiction.

All I have to show is that creating/evoking a setting can produce good fiction, and then I've obtained a satisfactory proof.

No, his opinion goes against your opinion of what constitutes an enduring and beloved story. Do you want a laundry list of well-regarded works of fiction that don't prioritize setting, or a journalistic impulse towards place?

No need. All I need is a laundry list of well-regarded works of fiction that do. I don't need to prove that its possible to write a story without much attention to a setting. My personal opinion is that stories with interesting internally consistant settings are better than most of the post-modern junk that tries to dispense with it, but I don't need to prove my opinion superior - just that it is a defensible opinion. Case in point, a writer like Jonathan Letham is too me far more readable, interesting, saying something important, for works like 'Gun with Occasional Music', 'Motherless Brooklyn', and even 'As She Climbed Across the Table' than he is in a deconstructivist (and to me deeply disappointing) story like 'Amnesia Moon'. I'm just not sure that there is all that much interesting territory to explore in consciously created but empty anti-worlds of 'New Wave' sci-fi, and the more successful writers in that style seemed to me to be the ones that could most depart from it.

I'm reminded of a line from Tolkien where he talks about how stories about good times are quickly told, but stories about horrible times take a long time. Or didn't some one say that every pleasant time was basically the same, but unpleasantness had an infinite variaty? Well, it seems to me that every story about meaninglessness has the same thing to say, but stories about meaning have an infinite variaty.

In any event, I know which stories seem to attract the most admirers.

Can't we just agree that different fiction has different goals and employs different methods?

Don't ask me. Ask Mr. Harrison.

We agree completely here. But to be fair, applying Harrison's comments to RPG's was the OP's doing.

True. But, if I'm to take the position that this provides no insight into running an RPG, then I have to say something about it.

The fact that the don't apply to all fiction doesn't merit they don't have merit or merit discussion.

If I didn't think they merited discussion, I wouldn't be discussing it. Bad ideas are worthy of discussion just like good ones. But, the discussion I think that this bad idea merits is a rounding condemnation followed by a more useful discussion of the pitfalls to avoid in leaning to far one way or the other than what Mr. Harrison provides with his universal condemnation and 'the thing is evident in itself' non-argument. But, it's not like I think posting flame bait is in and of itself a bad thing. I don't think the OP was trying to be disruptive (he's not spamming threads, he's not interrupting threads).

Ourph

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
To be fair, that's 100% a valid criticism. ;) Lots of people are fans of Tolkien, but Steve Jackson cut out huge swaths of the books to make things flow faster and to tell a more dramatic story.

Have you seen the 15+ hours of special features on the LotR DVDs? Steve Jackson and crew engaged in a LOT of world building that either didn't make it into the movies or was on screen for a just a few seconds, but that creative work inspired and informed a lot of stuff that made those movies great. There may be things to compare and contrast between Jackson and Tolkien but engaging in behind-the-scenes world building isn't one of them IMO.

papastebu

First Post
WayneLigon said:
But that's a flaw of the writer, not of the process of worldbuidling. A tool that is used for the wrong thing at the wrong time is not a bad tool.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

In things I've read and documentaries I've seen, Tolkien was always described as despairing over the loss of how he saw the world was supposed to be. The England he grew up in was very different, and still changing, from the world he lived in when published. The imagery in his works supports this.
He started all of that stuff, The Hobbit, LotR, the Silmarillion, as stories for his kids, and for one other reason: self-expression.
To me this is as valid a reason for the super-detailing of a world as any other. He wanted to transport those who listened to the stories, or who read them. I admit that he may have overdone it for some people's tastes. I didn't 100% love his work because of the inclusion of so many details, but he definitely had his impact upon my young psyche. This is one of the things I want to do for a living.

helium3

First Post
Peni Griffin said:
Actually, it's not particularly good advice even for writers. It's advice to "do things my way, not your way," based on a weakness which the author lacks, but to which not all worldbuilders fall prey; i.e., building the world at the expense of the story. He'd spend his time better giving advice about how to approach his own strengths and avoid his own weaknesses - the only topics any of us can truly give useful advice on.

Tolkien would never have written the Hobbit or LOTR if he hadn't had his language- and world-building hobby. Diana Wynne Jones makes worlds the way other people make sandwiches - vivid, realistic, self-consistent worlds and series of worlds about which the reader learns just the right amount. I don't know how much work she puts into the process of creating them, and I don't need to know. The result counts. How you get there doesn't.

There are nine and sixty ways of creating tribal lays, and every single one of them is right. Some people have to have the worldbuilding and some people get bogged down in them and some people can't make them at all, and make a virtue of it. There's no point in making hard-and-fast rules about any of it. Personally, I have to overprepare for every session I DM, every public talk I give, everything I do that involves prolonged speaking. Other people can do satisfactory games at five minutes notice.

More power to everybody. Do it the way that works for you, not the way that works for somebody else.

This is the truth.

It also depends to a great extent on what you're attempting to accomplish. Some situations require intensive world-building and others don't.

Remove ads