High elves--> Eladrin : Feystep must GO!

cangrejoide

First Post
Okay so I am starting the process of setting conversion, in this case the World of Greyhawk.

Eladrins are everything a Grey Elf must be, except for the Feystep ability ( the 25 feet teleport every 5 minutes).

What can give Eladrin that replaces such an awesome ability?

Gargoyle

Adventurer
cangrejoide said:
Okay so I am starting the process of setting conversion, in this case the World of Greyhawk.

Eladrins are everything a Grey Elf must be, except for the Feystep ability ( the 25 feet teleport every 5 minutes).

What can give Eladrin that replaces such an awesome ability?

If you don't like the teleport (and I think I can understand that), give them a free wizard utility power (some are encounter, some are dailies): Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Jump, or Shield. I kind of like the flavor of these for an eladrin...but I don't happen to have a problem with their teleport myself.

JohnSnow

Hero
Since I'm not overly thrilled with high magic racial powers, I gave some thought to a few options for very "high elf-ish" abilities to use as possible replacements for Fey Step. Here's my quick list:

1. Easiest - Reflavor "Fey Step" as an ability that just lets the Eladrin easily sprint across 25 feet of any terrain, including water, without incurring attacks of opportunity. This plays kinda like Legolas's ability to sprint across ropes, run on snow drifts and so forth. It's mechanically identical to Fey Step, but with different flavor.

2. Some kind of similar movement-enhancing ability, such as expeditious retreat, wild step or the like.

3. Some kind of fade into wilderness ability. Starts to blur the line between them and elves though.

4. Some basic utility enchantment, or possibly an ability that let them alter their appearance. That plays up the fey aspect of them a bit more.

I might take a look at the Eladrin entry in the Monster Manual for inspiration.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Why would you want to ditch such a fun, flavourful ability?

High Elves in my setting never had this power before either, but I've decided that a small percentage of the population do, and the eladrin PC happens to be one of them.

Fitz

Blackbrrd

First Post
About Eladrin, I now know what you do to a Eladrin you want to keep in jail. (Not escaping every 5 minutes with fey step). You blind them somehow. Maybe give them a blindfold, splash some liquid in their eyes, or if its orcs doing the capturing, just poking the Eladrins eyes out. Hmm.. dark dungeons would work as well ;)

You need line of sight to be able to teleport.

FadedC

First Post
John Snow's idea isn't bad. You could just change it from teleportation to just elusive movement that dashes through people's squares and draws no AoO.

Grimstaff

Explorer
JohnSnow said:
an ability that just lets the Eladrin easily sprint...without incurring attacks of opportunity.

modified for emphasis...
For all its flavor, fey step essentially is just a fun way of avoiding AoO's.

But if you must replace it, why not give the Eladrin something "grey-elfy" like a handful of cantrips, or maybe a Charisma-based boost to diplomacy-type abilities?

Remove ads